Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I went at this yesterday afternoon. And can officially say I am done splitting for this year. Now I have two big wood piles to stack. 32F895EE-DF60-4E7F-97C7-E7EC16584694.jpeg

I went at this yesterday afternoon. And can officially say I am done splitting for this year.
What kind of wood? Looks like it was dead..I see that some bark has popped off.
Good that you're done with the splitting..will you still be bucking trees and stacking rounds to split later?
I'm going to make a big push all winter to get all my inlaws on the three-year plan. I stripped most of the small, dead trees that are ready to burn, out of the woods in the spring to get them through this season. I need to get the dead Oak and Ash bucked and stacked, as it'll be a couple years at least for it to dry. Especially for one SIL, where I'm splitting bigger for her new secondary-burn stove.
I could carry them all for another year on my stash, but I'd rather not move that again..just get them new wood. My nephew has started scoring from a work buddy who's clearing some trees from a property he has, out of town. That reduces the amount of wood I have to get..without them, I just supply two SILs' houses, in addition to feeding our stove. :) Less than six cords per year, for sure, maybe under five.
You can pretty much work year-round here without having to work in brutal cold, if you pick your spots.

What kind of wood? Looks like it was dead..I see that some bark has popped off.
Good that you're done with the splitting..will you still be bucking trees and stacking rounds to split later?
I'm going to make a big push all winter to get all my inlaws on the three-year plan. I stripped most of the small, dead trees that are ready to burn, out of the woods in the spring to get them through this season. I need to get the dead Oak and Ash bucked and stacked, as it'll be a couple years at least for it to dry. Especially for one SIL, where I'm splitting bigger for her new secondary-burn stove.
I could carry them all for another year on my stash, but I'd rather not move that again..just get them new wood. My nephew has started scoring from a work buddy who's clearing some trees from a property he has, out of town. That reduces the amount of wood I have to get..without them, I just supply two SILs' houses, in addition to feeding our stove. :) Less than six cords per year, for sure, maybe under five.
You can pretty much work year-round here without having to work in brutal cold, if you pick your spots.
As usual 95% hemlock that was dropped summer of 18. No more bucking, I don’t want to see my saws unless a tree drops across the driveway, and if that happens I will just call my plow guy to move it to the side. I am tempted to actually bring my saws in to stihl for a tune up (what a concept!). Neither has been in for a tune up yet. The ms360 cuts like a bucking bronco but the little ms170 bogs down under full throttle. I should look at it change the gas lines and filter etc but it might be just easier to bring it in.

Diabel, nice job! Sometimes a tune up is not a bad thing, plus you get to look at some of the new stuff available.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Diabel, nice job! Sometimes a tune up is not a bad thing, plus you get to look at some of the new stuff available.
Thank you heavy hammer@.
This eve I finished stacking the pile I split and posted a week ago. It was a crazy task. I had to carry armloads of splits about 10-12 yards uphill (no fun). Too tired to calculate the cordage. Let’s see, I had laid out one set of pallets 5 in a row and another 6. Two rows of splits on each about 4.5
‘tall. Most of this wood will be for winter of 21-22.
As for the saw, you got me convinced. I am heading back to the city in the morning and the 170 is coming with me to see a doctor.

I'm shooting for ten cords css before January, but we will see.
It's probably too cold up there to go outside after the first of the year! :oops:
the little ms170 bogs down under full throttle. I should look at it change the gas lines and filter etc but it might be just easier to bring it in.
The MS170 sure is handy. Mine is leaking a little gas right after I fill the tank, so I've sidelined it until I can look at it. I sure miss it..no point lifting a heavier saw if you don't have to. I guess it's probably just a cracked fuel line or something..?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Diabel let us know if you come back with anything else from the shop too!

Reactions: Diabel
I hear you on that, The stihl/tractor dealer where I get all my stuff from is having a big sale tomorrow. Me and my father are going so we will see how that turns out.

I took the day off except for cleaning some chains and sharpening them on the grinder, after that was done we went leaf peeping and while talking with the wife about the Stihl 310 acting up even after it has been at two different dealers, it looks like I'll be looking for a new saw in 2020.

I might take it to another place to see if they can see what's causing it to die after using it for 10-20 minutes.

Stihl is running specials on their stuff right now. I believe stihl days are going on now.

I took the day off except for cleaning some chains and sharpening them on the grinder, after that was done we went leaf peeping and while talking with the wife about the Stihl 310 acting up even after it has been at two different dealers, it looks like I'll be looking for a new saw in 2020.

I might take it to another place to see if they can see what's causing it to die after using it for 10-20 minutes.
Stihl saws are expensive. Both pro and homeowner ones. All I can say (not too much experience with other brands), the pro saws are well made and last a long time. The homeowner ones on the other hand are a bit weak (in my opinion) and crap out regularly.

Stihl saws are expensive. Both pro and homeowner ones. All I can say (not too much experience with other brands), the pro saws are well made and last a long time. The homeowner ones on the other hand are a bit weak (in my opinion) and crap out regularly.
The 310 was my first real chainsaw which I bought in 2007 or 08, the trouble started over a year ago. It starts fine, idles nice but after cutting for a while , they said the gas line was good, the gas filter is new, they said the magneto is good and the spark plug boot looks good.

The saw goes out clean before each use and the bar looks good, the spark plug is new and the non ethanol gas is good and my other saws ran fine with it so I'm wondering if the carb is out of adjustment.

The 310 was my first real chainsaw which I bought in 2007 or 08, the trouble started over a year ago. It starts fine, idles nice but after cutting for a while , they said the gas line was good, the gas filter is new, they said the magneto is good and the spark plug boot looks good.

The saw goes out clean before each use and the bar looks good, the spark plug is new and the non ethanol gas is good and my other saws ran fine with it so I'm wondering if the carb is out of adjustment.
Have you asked in the “gear” ? These guys are super awesome and will go out of their way to help. And there is always the arborists forum....

Have you asked in the “gear” ? These guys are super awesome and will go out of their way to help. And there is always the arborists forum....
Arborists forums being a last resort! @thewoodlands you could probably tune it yourself if you read the manual. I bought a carb adjustment kit off Amazon that came with a small tach for setting the high speed screws. It also came with a bunch of tools to adjust any small engine carb.

It's probably too cold up there to go outside after the first of the year! :oops:

Yeah, pretty much. I tried last January to hand split a bunch of frozen fir, spruce, and tamarack, but combined with getting sick from my MIL I ended up in the hospital! I don't think I'll be doing anything outside mid Jan - May. It's too cold or too muddy.

Also, I thought the chimney for my cook stove and liner for the Morso shipped Last Friday. I think they are stalling and trying to placate me since A. I wanted a Jeremia's Chimney and they are new to the market and B. it's almost winter and everyone wants a chimney right now. Ever since we moved here the sooner I want something the longer it takes....

Yes.

I'll go through certain things again and give the 310 a try, we'll see what it does.

I did get some good rounds from this tree that mother nature felled so tomorrow I'll buck this last piece up, hopefully there's some good wood in it but if it's all rotten, it will go to the wood dump.

Attachments

• 101_9573.JPG
    101_9573.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 101_9579.JPG
    101_9579.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 101_9581.JPG
    101_9581.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: heavy hammer
Yep, we've also got a big trailer-load to stack today. I was over there setting up some pallets, and stumbled onto this bonus score, just off my SIL's driveway. It's 16%, and already stacked in her shed. But I'll tell her to save it for cold weather, or a long day away from home..it's Black Locust. >>
20191012_170009.jpg

I finally finished the old maple mother nature felled, only the outside is good with the rest being soft or mush like.

Attachments

• 101_9670.JPG
    101_9670.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 101_9671.JPG
    101_9671.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 101_9673.JPG
    101_9673.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 101_9674.JPG
    101_9674.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: heavy hammer
@Diabel , @SpaceBus , I changed the spark plug , put new gas in the 310 which I'll run through some pine tomorrow and hopefully it will run without any problems.

When I started it up and just ran it with the throttle wide open and with the nose of the bar down, it seemed just fine but we'll see how long it will run good, when I ran it the last time it started acting up after running for about 20 minutes.

@Diabel , @SpaceBus , I changed the spark plug , put new gas in the 310 which I'll run through some pine tomorrow and hopefully it will run without any problems.

When I started it up and just ran it with the throttle wide open and with the nose of the bar down, it seemed just fine but we'll see how long it will run good, when I ran it the last time it started acting up after running for about 20 minutes.

If nothing else does anything to help, take the muffler off and take a look at the cylinder. If you see vertical lines in the cylinder or on the piston, that is your problem.