Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nothing is more satisfying than splitting wood with an axe. Great cardio work. It’s come to a point thought that the pieces are getting too big where I’m gonna need a log splitter. Those 24”-33” diameter pieces will be hard to split with an axe.

Nothing is more satisfying than splitting wood with an axe. Great cardio work. It’s come to a point thought that the pieces are getting too big where I’m gonna need a log splitter. Those 24”-33” diameter pieces will be hard to split with an axe.

Especially when those pieces are 32-34” long! I split some the other day that were almost as long as the Fiskars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ba3ee74b067548f0f7857802117bc085.jpg
a0684a17fddbeffb797050e1ddac78aa.jpg

Not really wood related....but the the coop set today and the chickens settled. Oh! I did have to cut down one small oak to set the coop where I wanted it! Does that count?

Looks like the boy did all the feeding work, while you just stood around petting the soft, smooth chickens. ==c
I did have to cut down one small oak to set the coop where I wanted it! Does that count?
Well, OK, I guess that'll pass. ;)
I did a small amount of work; By the time I got out there, I didn't have much light left. I found a dead Sass for my BIL's basement stove, a '79 VC Resolute III, and loaded the quad trailer with six 4' logs. I cut through my SILs' places on my way to drop the logs, and they were coming back out of the woods from a session of cutting invasives. Lo and behold, look what they stumbled upon! They saw just a little bit of orange handle sticking out. It had fallen off the quad a couple years ago. I knew about where it fell off, but couldn't find it and figured I would never see it again. It lives, yea! :cool: Remember, I had six logs..had to go back and find the one that bounced out. ;lol
20191220_163547.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the boy did all the feeding work, while you just stood around petting the soft, smooth chickens. ==c Well, OK, I guess that'll pass. ;)
I did a small amount of work; By the time I got out there, I didn't have much light left. I found a dead Sass for my BIL's basement stove, a '79 VC Resolute III, and loaded the quad trailer with six 4' logs. I cut through my SILs' places on my way to drop the logs, and they were coming back out of the woods from a session of cutting invasives. Lo and behold, look what they stumbled upon! They saw just a little bit of orange handle sticking out. It had fallen off the quad a couple years ago. I knew about where it fell off, but couldn't find it and figured I would never see it again. It lives, yea! :cool: Remember, I had six logs..had to go back and find the one that bounced out. ;lol
View attachment 253870

Pretty much! lol
And as for the axe, that’s awesome!

@HitzerHillbilly - FYI if you handle any chickens make sure you wash your hands after touching them. They could possible have Salmonella on their wings. We just got rid of our chickens last month after having them for about 10 years.

@HitzerHillbilly - FYI if you handle any chickens make sure you wash your hands after touching them. They could possible have Salmonella on their wings. We just got rid of our chickens last month after having them for about 10 years.

Thanks for the info. My wife is a clean freak when it comes to really any thing in general. Gotta wash hands anytime we come back inside! lol! Not really a bad thing tho.

Reactions: sloeffle
"Don’t kiss backyard poultry, or snuggle them"
Looking at the pic, that might be a "snuggle." ;)
The X27 cleaned up pretty well, but is pitted on the side that was in the mud. I hit it with the angle grinder, cable-twist wheel and sanding disc..I don't think the additional drag from the pitting will be too big a deal. I've got it strapped on the quad with three rubber bungees. ==c
20191221_124901.jpg

Today would have been a great day to be outside doing some wood splitting. I filled the garage last night so I could d do some Christmas shopping with my father. HitzerHillbilly nice looking chickens.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I have a splitter. No good way to get it back in this woods. It’s my sisters house. They have a ATV with a small trailer to haul the wood out. So I’ve been hand splitting, the X-27 is awesome. Three little trailer loads to a pickup.
I know most folks would say I'm crazy, but I think hardwoods are way easier to hand split. We have spruce and fir here and there's a limb every 12-24" and it's hell to break them up by hand. Before we got a splitter I was using a Fiakars Isocore maul and it bounced off fresh spruce like it was rubber, even frozen it didn't help.

Thanks for the info. My wife is a clean freak when it comes to really any thing in general. Gotta wash hands anytime we come back inside! lol! Not really a bad thing tho.
Better safe than sorry. You hear about folks dying from picking up some bacteria in the garden through a scratch on their hand.. _g
So my BIL hand me two eggs a couple hours ago, says "Here, fresh from the rack." They are covered with stuff, and I'm like...uh...
Then I mention samminella in backyard chickens and he acts like he knows nothing about it. "I don't think there's anything to worry about, since I raise 'em right. I don't even wash the eggs."
Needless to say, he's a little iffy. ;lol

Better safe than sorry. You hear about folks dying from picking up some bacteria in the garden through a scratch on their hand.. _g
So my BIL hand me two eggs a couple hours ago, says "Here, fresh from the rack." They are covered with stuff, and I'm like...uh...
Then I mention samminella in backyard chickens and he acts like he knows nothing about it. "I don't think there's anything to worry about, since I raise 'em right. I don't even wash the eggs."
Needless to say, he's a little iffy. ;lol
I get local duck eggs that have "stuff" on them. Usually a good rinse takes it all off. Most folks don't know how much life there is on the surface of their own skin, much less any other surface.

I made the spaghetti sauce yesterday and then helped the wife put together the chicken cacciatore today which we had with some pasta.

I'll work this off by doing some splitting and stacking.

Attachments

• IMG_9944.JPG
    IMG_9944.JPG
    495.9 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: heavy hammer
Did a little hand splitting myself today! These were about 30” long. First time using the diamond wedge, and I have to say I kind of like it! And I had some company!
Ah, the old "Wood Grenade," an all-time classic! >> I think I have one around, with a busted tip. May be time to find it and take the angle grinder to it.
With that kind of company, you are a lucky man indeed. :)
I made the spaghetti sauce yesterday and then helped the wife put together the chicken cacciatore today which we had with some pasta.
Cut it out, man, it's not looking like I'll have time for dinner this evening. Well, maybe some grapes and yogurt.. ;)

20191222_195613.jpg

e494296a29a498b4fac17617272cfce1.jpg

My wife made eggs this morning! Right from the coop to the kitchen!

This was on Christmas morning 2011, I'm thinking we'll be having this again on Christmas morning.

Attachments

• 100_4466.JPG
    100_4466.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 159
My wife made eggs this morning! Right from the coop to the kitchen!
Yum! :) What's in there, chives, pepper? I'll coat the pan with butter, slightly sautee onion, garlic, shrooms. Remove those, re-coat pan with butter and dump in the eggs when hot. Throw on the other stuff and grate cheddar cheese over the top. Easy prep is what I'm after..like this batch-cooking: ==c
The wife made some very good chili the other day so we're set for food until...Christmas day.

Reactions: HitzerHillbilly
Reactions: HitzerHillbilly