Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do we have a cooking/baking section in hearth.com?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Since the 10 day weather forecast won't be that cold, we'll put two loads of cherry in tomorrow.

I'll stop putting any food related post here.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Thewoodlands our forecast is looking to be pretty mild as well. The rest of this week is 50's and today close to 60. We won't see any real winter weather for a while. I hope everyone had a good Christmas!

Thewoodlands our forecast is looking to be pretty mild as well. The rest of this week is 50's and today close to 60. We won't see any real winter weather for a while. I hope everyone had a good Christmas!
Our temps will mostly be in the mid 30's with some mid 40's in there. We had a nice Christmas, how about the @heavy hammer family?

My break is almost over, I'm hoping we lose all of our ice & snow so I can fell about three ash on the backhill. If we don't I can find a damaged tree on some flatland.

We put two smaller loads of cherry in today, just one pic.

Attachments

• 101_9951.JPG
    101_9951.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 157
Our Christmas was good my two girls were spoiled by my wife and their grandmothers. We spent the past two days visiting family so it was nice to stay home today. The girls played with their new off road dune buggy power wheel outside.. The girls were also outside all day playing baseball and basketball. I even carried up some wood to fill the garage back up and ran the dogs. Two of my Christmas gifts were a dokken dog retriever dummy a white goose decoy for my younger lab and I got a new pair of muck boots. Now I just need the ponds to unfreeze and we are ready for a spring and summer full of retrieving work

1577404749753.png

Reactions: thewoodlands
Skid some logs out today, and put the fiskars maul was to work.
What kind of wood? It looks like it was pretty easy splitting, but you'll get a stern test for the Fisky before long. ==c
Doesn't really look like Maple..is it one of the types of Ash I haven't see here yet, like Green or Black? Doesn't look like White Ash bark from here..

5964d49c9b910c451d22d6e80364987c.jpg
2742b96a89de6524c712d3e68b6d10ce.jpg

Skid some logs out today, and put the fiskars maul was to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great maul, Fiskars makes some nice products. Looks like your stuff doesn't have too many limbs. The trees here are mostly spruce and fir and my Fiskars Isocore just bounced. You can't hand split anything here without wedges it seems.

Reactions: HitzerHillbilly
Been busy doing some renovations to the back of my barn over the last couple weeks. I hung some expensive a$$ cannonball track, built some doors, and tore off the old wooden flashing, rebuilt the structure to attach the new flashing to, and had a new piece of flashing bent. I attached the new flashing today with the help of a friend.

IMG_5305.JPEG
IMG_5313.JPEG
IMG_5321.JPEG

Great maul, Fiskars makes some nice products. Looks like your stuff doesn't have too many limbs. The trees here are mostly spruce and fir and my Fiskars Isocore just bounced. You can't hand split anything here without wedges it seems.

Yep, I have lots of this in my woods, grows tall and straight, barley any limbs. But it burns up fast. Split some cherry with it the other day and it did well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I’ve been sick the last couple days I forced myself to get out and split today. It was to nice to pass up an opportunity to get some firewood processed. Split and stacked a face cord. Not much but it’s something.

I carried in some wood and re stacked some piles cleaned up outside today figured I would be outside and fill the garage back up before the rain moves in.

I made a few whole grain pizza dough balls. I turned one into garlic bread and the other will be pizza tomorrow. For sauce I cooked down some organic tomatoes and local chicken chorizo.

Attachments

• 20191228_202704.jpg
    20191228_202704.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 20191228_194616.jpg
    20191228_194616.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 157
Fairly pleased with the scrounge score for the week (all hardwood). Took advantage of the little to no snow to get an early start on the 2020 haul. I wanted to scrounge 20 cord this past year but only came away with 12, so this is a good start for the 2020 scrounging season. I haven't even burned 2 cord yet this fall/winter so, knock on wood, I'll be able to get a couple years ahead by next fall (I burned 8 cord last winter). And yes, that's about 2-3 inches of solid ice there.

DSC00537.JPG
DSC00538.JPG

I've been scouting the property with the dog. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be cutting.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Fairly pleased with the scrounge score for the week (all hardwood). Took advantage of the little to no snow to get an early start on the 2020 haul. I wanted to scrounge 20 cord this past year but only came away with 12, so this is a good start for the 2020 scrounging season. I haven't even burned 2 cord yet this fall/winter so, knock on wood, I'll be able to get a couple years ahead by next fall (I burned 8 cord last winter). And yes, that's about 2-3 inches of solid ice there.

View attachment 254381View attachment 254382
Nice start on your btu inventory, what do you have for wood in that stack, ash,beech and maple?

Reactions: EODMSgt