Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
EODMSgt nice score is that ice from the storm moving through or just from the warm up and re freeze? What kind of wood did you score it looks like ash?

Reactions: EODMSgt
EODMSgt nice score is that ice from the storm moving through or just from the warm up and re freeze? What kind of wood did you score it looks like ash?

The ice is built up from previous storms and snow melt (freeze/thaw cycles). I get a lot of use out of microspikes here.

The wood in the pile is a mix of ash, beech, maple and red oak.

Reactions: heavy hammer
NOAA is calling for a quarter inch of ice for this area. I did hand sand the top part of the driveway and put some old ash we had in a garbage can on three different spots on the lower part of the driveway.

If the driveway is really bad tomorrow, I'll put the sander on the tractor. Just a few pictures of some ice buildup, nothing real bad......yet.

Attachments

• 101_9952.JPG
    101_9952.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 101_9953.JPG
    101_9953.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 190
The rain missed us but we had ice pellets all day yesterday. And this morning I woke up to this

Attachments

• 3C7528B0-077B-4D19-BB8A-2435A6EF61EB.jpeg
    3C7528B0-077B-4D19-BB8A-2435A6EF61EB.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 0670EC37-E62E-497C-9A3E-B550019D33E7.jpeg
    0670EC37-E62E-497C-9A3E-B550019D33E7.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 5FC6F27E-7B1B-40ED-9769-C0A2D543752C.jpeg
    5FC6F27E-7B1B-40ED-9769-C0A2D543752C.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 180
It's been garbage here since about 1130. Work started out great but once the freezing rain started my day got longer and much wetter. There were also multiple equipment failures... My old Army boots have also given up the ghost after being abused as work boots for the last five years.

Started the new year by going out this morning and scouting for new dead and down from the recent snow/ice storm. Found four decent trees I need to get working on. Love this setup for getting back in the woods. When the snow gets too deep, I tow the sled with the snowmobile.

20200101_115622.jpg
20200101_115649.jpg

Spent the last two days working on this shed. Once it is full it will have 4 full cord packed in it.
p.s. I didn’t build the shed. It came with the house. I figure I will use it until it falls over then build a nice woodshed. Or several.

Attachments

• EBFDE88A-11BA-42B2-A6BD-8E018416E5D8.jpeg
    EBFDE88A-11BA-42B2-A6BD-8E018416E5D8.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
With the wind and the way the weather has been I have been busy at work. Some storms swept through Monday morning and I worked a few days of 16's putting power back on. Then we had 50 on Thursday, now we are getting snow and some cold temps for a few days before it warms back up into the 50's with more rain. It has been one odd winter so far.

With the wind and the way the weather has been I have been busy at work. Some storms swept through Monday morning and I worked a few days of 16's putting power back on. Then we had 50 on Thursday, now we are getting snow and some cold temps for a few days before it warms back up into the 50's with more rain. It has been one odd winter so far.
I was watching the maps, looked like a crush, sent 6 crews out to you to stop our kadi time, I know to little to late, big bosses want there bonus though, gotta do what you gotta do.

[B]kennyp2339[/B] did you guys work the new year at all or did the storms miss you? You know they do what ever they can to keep the numbers look good. I try not to get to worked any more about working holidays or being held all the time its the job.

I worked new year's eve clearing snow. I'm 90% sure we will work again this morning, but waiting for the boss to say when.

Utility co came through.
6"-8" locus stems.
Too bad they didn't snip them to 22" to eliminate all the recutting. Need to blaze a trail through the woods, parking on the road just over a hill would be dangerous.

Attachments

• 0104201550.jpg
    0104201550.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 175
[B]kennyp2339[/B] did you guys work the new year at all or did the storms miss you? You know they do what ever they can to keep the numbers look good. I try not to get to worked any more about working holidays or being held all the time its the job.
No we had a quite new years for once, December was crazy busy, 2 weeks of 16's in the beginning of the month due to a heavy wet snow that took out 40k of people, then a small ice storm in the southern part of our northern zone was another week of 16's, it was nice to be quiet for once, I honestly hope this year is a quiet year, would like to have a semi normal life, but if the last 8 years has taught me anything, I think I'll be seeing more of the dash board on my work truck them my personal vehicle.

Every year it seems like they want you there more and more for any little wind blow. It seems these last couple of years that when a storm comes through the wind is just a monster. It seems like every time we have some storm it is high wind gusts.

Every year it seems like they want you there more and more for any little wind blow.
Yea I have the same sentiments, 2 weeks ago we had a showery Sunday evening, nothing going on at the house, I was just starting a big dinner and the neighbors were going to come over and eat, well the 115kv bus tie went at the sub up the road from me, wiped out all lights in my town and two others, I got a taste of what its like being on the receiving end of an outage, the next 6 hrs sucked, it was humbling so I get why our work is so important.
I think the winds are a little more severe with these storms, but also we have older tree's, around here there literally was no tree's anywhere 100 yrs ago, they were all cut for lumber, or burnt up at the furnaces / lime kilns for mining ops, cleared out for farming, so the grid was essentially built around baby tree's or open fields, what were seeing today it totally a unique problem for this geographical area, plus things have aged big time, you've seen #4cu has either been pickled to death or worn to #6 or #8 from being stretched out so many times and is as brittle as the devils fiddle strings, we're at a point were its not just coasting through changing out cutouts or pins, its real work now but the crew compliments have only gotten smaller, just got to stay safe, take outages when you can, ground everything due to the new loop tie schemes, rubber up everything and wait for a second guy to come, there are no hero's in this line of work, an old timer gave me the best advice a couple years back, "we don't have time for anything, but when it breaks we have all the time in world to fix it right."

I am noticing that was well, short severe gusts/bursts of wind that take out random trees. No matter what species (with exception of cedars maybe). Perhaps it is the nature’s way of eliminating the old and weak trees. Natures cycle and we a human species are too young to know.

kennyp2339 you are right about a lot of it. Keep it running till it is on the ground. Then fix it right. I always say to test, test, test. Most fatalities I have seen all it would take is one more test, but some one said it was off or mixed circuits or something. If you are going to ground it, work on it, or touch it better test. It only needs to get you once to change your life. Stay safe and keep you and your guys around you sharp all will be good!

We put in two smaller loads of better hardwoods today, yellow birch, sugar maple and a few rounds of american hophornbeam.

I'm thinking we'll save what is left of the cherry (over a face cord) for the spring and start burning what we usually do in January and February.

About 1.5 years ago, I split some not so great soft maple and stacked it so since we have almost two face of that, we'll burn that this spring too.

Spent the weekend hauling logs home from my cut spot. 4 dump truck loads, three dump trailer loads and one log trailer load.

Attachments

• 440132FC-D2FB-49A5-B4A8-DF8AF682B85B.jpeg
    440132FC-D2FB-49A5-B4A8-DF8AF682B85B.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 198
  • C0A3205E-6BD2-491A-B039-72661E814068.jpeg
    C0A3205E-6BD2-491A-B039-72661E814068.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 169
  • 8E3ED11B-3458-4155-8532-E984A2F1DA9F.jpeg
    8E3ED11B-3458-4155-8532-E984A2F1DA9F.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 161