Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yesterday when I was burning in the outside fireplace, the wife came out with the dog and made a comment on how I should clean the chit up laying on the ground in front, so today I took one load up to the trail that goes up top.

Pictures 1916,17 & 18 will be a new trail that is actually a dead - end but there is some hardwood in that area including one nice Ash.
Attached Files:

Attachments

• 104_1912.JPG
    104_1912.JPG
    408.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 104_1913.JPG
    104_1913.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 104_1914.JPG
    104_1914.JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 104_1915.JPG
    104_1915.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 104_1916.JPG
    104_1916.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 104_1917.JPG
    104_1917.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 104_1918.JPG
    104_1918.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 93
After this weekend, I'll start back up on c/s/s. First up will be bucking up two face cord of Pine that was cut in 2018, after that is done, I'll split and stack that. I'll get some pictures Monday.

When I'm done stacking the two face cord of Pine, I'll start splitting and stacking the rest of the Beech (1894 ) and Maple (1895 ).

Attachments

• 104_1894.JPG
    104_1894.JPG
    857.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 104_1895.JPG
    104_1895.JPG
    696 KB · Views: 92
I have the 1st log load about done. Some hard maple wouldn't go with the Fiskars, so it's moved over to the next pile (bigger) to be split via splitter with any big pieces over there. About 2 cord +/- off the 1st load, I expect 2.5-3 cord off this remaining large load. Hops are looking good this year, too. :D.

Attachments

• PXL_20210616_232103350.jpg
    PXL_20210616_232103350.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 85
The White Pine I bucked up today is from the clearing we did for the new garage in 2018. I'll start splitting and stacking out of the pile of rounds, not all the rounds in the pile came from today.

I'll stack six face cord of Pine by the end of July which will be for next years shoulder season wood.

Attachments

• 104_1919.JPG
    104_1919.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 104_1920.JPG
    104_1920.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 104_1921.JPG
    104_1921.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 104_1922.JPG
    104_1922.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 81
I started splitting and stacking the Pine, hopefully by the end of next week, I have four face cord up.

Attachments

• 104_1923.JPG
    104_1923.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 104_1924.JPG
    104_1924.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 104_1925.JPG
    104_1925.JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 104_1926.JPG
    104_1926.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 104_1927.JPG
    104_1927.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 90
Some yellow pine, left overs from clearing the trees off the house. The logs out of them went to a band mill up the road...$20’s are easier to stack than splits. ;)
I guesstimate about 3/4 of a cord (about a winters worth for me), my hats off to you all that burn 2 or 3+ Cords a year.

Attachments

• 56290546-5982-4F52-8C2D-8AAB4C604EF3.jpeg
    56290546-5982-4F52-8C2D-8AAB4C604EF3.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 87
  • 4DB9B484-AE3E-4534-9470-82A86F50D62E.jpeg
    4DB9B484-AE3E-4534-9470-82A86F50D62E.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 83
Gosh it is such hard work but these people seem to strive with it...lol--especially the heavy equipment operator and that old lumberjack..clancey

Made this pile of saw logs a few days ago. Not sure when I'll get started on them with so much rain in the forecast. Not that I mind the rain, our garden and blueberries need it.

Attachments

• DSCF0209.JPG
    DSCF0209.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 94
Yea my work done has been at a stand still. I was suppose to begin my wood shed awhile back but was delayed. Now from a woman's point of view this is how it is--lol ...My carpenter who I have been dealing with for 23 years and just love him and a wonderful person as well and such a hard worker--like you people,,,We got into a row so he took some time off. Here he is in the hottest of weather awhile back doing all this extremely hard labor (and he is paid well) finishing up on my beautiful porch that he built from a open porch with stones on the floor to get ready for the wood stove. I showed him the design of the shed from here and he was going to start the next day but his last job was he had to put some blinds up for the porch so that I could have privacy well---this type of job was just too much for him---and he hemmed and hauled about no contact with the blind screws and I suggested he put a board across so that he would make contact to something solid...So I said--"Here you are doing all this major major work in the heat and when I ask you to do something "that I really want" you put it off to the last moment and then b and c about it and this makes my life miserable and I have to live with this until you get back from your trip and I am doing just as much work as you with all this cleaning up and buying stuff and putting up with "your bad attitudes here"...so he left..This is all in a days work here and I know that you people with your love ones go through this sort of stuff too---so I say as a old woman--listen to your beautiful brides and stop making things to be done hard for them for they have work to do too and want to enjoy their beautiful curtains and shelves and things of that nature...So you all be good and next time they ask you to do a small thing for them----it is important,,,My wood shed will begin on July 6th when my carpenter gets back---Yes all my blinds are up and beautiful and my wood shed will begin soon..Thanks for reading and some advice about work done from old mrs clancey...lol

@MissMac How is your rehab going ? Never had to do that myself but it is work.
It's been slow and challenging, but I think things are taking a turn for the better. Had to spend a full 6 weeks in my sling, only coming out of it for my daily physio. Last week at my physio appt. I got permission to come out of the sling during the daytime, but I cant really do much with it besides my exercises. I do about 4 hours/day of stretches, so kinda been having a lot of groundhog days. My arm is pretty feeble - amazing how much muscle atrophy you can get in a month and a half, but I am hell bent determined to make a full recovery and make this all worth it in the long run.

On another note, with all this heat we've had my ash piles have really shifted for the sun. Today I put my sling on and my neighbour came over to help me push my piles, as 2 rows were looking like the leaning tower of Pisa, and part of it fell 2 days ago. So, I got behind the wheel of my Ford Ranger, while my buddy held a pallet on the back of the tailgate. I slowly backed into my wood piles and managed to push them back into place pretty successfully. It felt soooo great to accomplish something, and was a tremendous perk to my spirits, and saved my partner from a lot of wood re-stacking.

:)

Did not know about your injury--so sorry...It's your arm huh---terrible...So far I broke my arm in two places and broke my elbow as well as my shoulder a few years back----terrible and you are really handicapped for awhile but things will improve day by day...For the first few days with my shoulder I had a real sad first five days but it got better..I hope and pray that you have a support system because this is what a person needs with these types of injury...You will get back real soon when it dawns on you that "you are really better''----so sorry--anything I can do just let me know even sending you a donut or something or pretty card...Those wood piles are waiting for you to shine them up a bit--Have a good holiday....mrs clancey

It's been slow and challenging, but I think things are taking a turn for the better. Had to spend a full 6 weeks in my sling, only coming out of it for my daily physio. Last week at my physio appt. I got permission to come out of the sling during the daytime, but I cant really do much with it besides my exercises. I do about 4 hours/day of stretches, so kinda been having a lot of groundhog days. My arm is pretty feeble - amazing how much muscle atrophy you can get in a month and a half, but I am hell bent determined to make a full recovery and make this all worth it in the long run.

On another note, with all this heat we've had my ash piles have really shifted for the sun. Today I put my sling on and my neighbour came over to help me push my piles, as 2 rows were looking like the leaning tower of Pisa, and part of it fell 2 days ago. So, I got behind the wheel of my Ford Ranger, while my buddy held a pallet on the back of the tailgate. I slowly backed into my wood piles and managed to push them back into place pretty successfully. It felt soooo great to accomplish something, and was a tremendous perk to my spirits, and saved my partner from a lot of wood re-stacking.

4 hrs/day of physical therapy type exercises is significant. I can tell just from that how dedicated you are to recovery. If you keep up the PT you won't feel it when you are older.

Reactions: MissMac and JimBear
My wife says that those that have the grit to push long (but not too hard!) are the easiest patients to work with and that they go the farthest as compared with those with similar diagnoses. So you are doing great! Keep up the good work.

Reactions: MissMac and JimBear

Glad you are making progress, that recovery/rehab can be a tough journey but well worth it.

I have been using my pickup to square up some stacks also. Lol

To hot to do anything, I have one more pile of ash lengths to cut and split and they have sat in there spot since spring, seems like the motto here this year is 4 days of oppressive heat, then 2-3 days of rain, then back to heat, and if a cool day or 2 slips in then its other things that need to be done, like weeding, weed whacking, mowing, trimming and outdoor cleaning, its a real pia lol. Then there my real job and the mandatory ot thats been occurring, seems like that happens at the worst times to..end rant.

I find that it is easier for me if I stick to a routine especially when I first get up---like get up shower and eat and start you day maybe a coffee or too---see how easy that is...lol I have so much work to do I do not know where to begin--terrible...Forget about waiting for a cool day and do the weed whacking at night time...lol...Have a nice holiday...clancey

I found this on the net and what do you all think about this? My mind this week is on wood and wood shed building but this looks real interesting to me--don't you all smile all at once now...lol What do you think?

I found this on the net and what do you all think about this? My mind this week is on wood and wood shed building but this looks real interesting to me--don't you all smile all at once now...lol What do you think?
I think that is for drying lumber, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on firewood. I don't know how quickly it would dry cordwood. This structure also calls for power for the ventilation.

Glad you are making progress, that recovery/rehab can be a tough journey but well worth it.

I have been using my pickup to square up some stacks also. Lol
ya the truck worked so well compared to the alternatives. i mean they won't win any 'prettiest wood stack' awards anymore, but they'll do just fine :)

Reactions: JimBear
I am seriously wondering about this idea of mine--ut oh--... For me I just put this wood stove in for just emergencies in case the grid does a number or something so that I can stay warm. I intend to buy for now only "kiln dried wood" for my first batch this is because of my fear of bugs and stuff...So I decided not to build a wood shed---let someone else "after me" worry about that idea. Now my question is this? If I get kiln dried wood in here would not it be bad if I place it outside because of maybe absorbing the humidity or something and defeating the very purpose of wanting to keep it dry? Not building this wood shed right now will save me some money and I do have two metal cages ( 30 inch by 24 inch and 24 inches high and they are open in the front and they stack on top of one another to keep the kiln dried wood in and these cages are in my fire stove room. So I am going to see what I can do with those and take a picture or two for you when I get them set up...Am I on the right track of thinking here by wanting the kiln wood to be inside or is this not necessary and outside would be just fine? Thanks...clancey

IF they are indeed dry enough for proper burning (and even kiln dried firewood often is not - remember that putting it in a kiln for 20 minutes is also kiln dried...), then f no rain gets to the wood outside, they will remain dry enough.
So make sure the cages are covered.

Ask your wood vendor to bring an axe, split a 6" wide piece through the middle, and show you the moisture level in the middle (!) in that freshly exposed split with a moisture meter. Should be done at 70 F (any colder will get you a too favorable reading). So get it delivered now rather than when the weather turns colder again. That way you know what you are buying. Should be 25% or less, preferably less than 20%.

Thank you so much for the imput and here are some pictures to get a better idea of what I mean---this wood would be inside for now and here is the set up for now..Forgive the unfinished look especially the dry wall stuff on the floor--lol---eventually I hope to make it pretty..I do have the electricity in and the light in the ceiling and a air conditioner in and as you know these things take time...The stuff in the cages will be placed by the kiln wood and is it too close to the stove? Security bars will be placed on the windows and doors in the next few weeks--I have them already and they just need putting up plus a new security door....work is never done....Would these cages work and are they far enough from my beautiful stove? clancey

Attachments

• wood stove room 001.JPG
    wood stove room 001.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 78
  • wood stove room 002.JPG
    wood stove room 002.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 75
  • wood stove room 003.JPG
    wood stove room 003.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 81
Sorry for misunderstanding; the placement of theses racks is perfectly fine. The manual will give you clearance requirements to combustibles, and they will be far, far less than this distance (remembering your walls contain combustible 2x4's and I assume the stove was installed to meet these clearance requirements).

Thanks....All clearances are met and my house insurance man okay it with his measurements and in a few weeks I am going to a fireplace store with my girlfriend--she's driving---strange new area for me and I will get a moisture meter (forget the proper name) and two new fire extinguishers and a carbon monoxide and a smoke detector as well and a temperature gauge for the pipe on the stove plus two trivets for the stove burners when I use them...Later the wall will be rocked--later---(money)....So with this idea I am saving a lot of money here with not building the beautifully designed wood shed on this thread that I just love...but money is saved and I will have picture for you when my friend and I take our trip to the fireplace store.. Thanks for the help and safety is my top priority and my insurance man told me to get all these things for him to insure me and my home...So they are all necessary and the second extinguisher he wants in the kitchen...thanks clancey

Reactions: stoveliker