Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
May I ask why those six were left and were not they good for something? Just curious since I am looking at my wood pile that I got and just wondering why...That was three years ago you left them on your property--would they be considered "dried out" and ready for burning laying on the ground --could you burn them now if you had too for your wood stove--meaning what exactly is "seasoned" anyway? clancey
They were only good for firewood with a few good for milling at the time they were cut. I had a short amount of time to fell, limb up, move the logs and dig up a bunch of the stumps before the contractor moved in.

I consider seasoned wood (pine) cut/split/stacked for a year. Beech, American Hophornbeam and Sugar Maple we'll let season after it is stacked for 2 -3 years.

Today I finally got around to cutting up the biggest of the sugar maple logs I had in my yard that were dropped in December of 2019.
IMG_20210710_164946.jpg
IMG_20210710_121500.jpg

I recently bought a 28" bar and chain for my saw, and this was the first time I used it. Definitely made the job easier than trying to use my 20" bar.

After I got it all cut up, I started splitting some of the rounds. Some pieces had a little bit of rot in them but most of it is really nice wood. I'll use the stuff with the rot for boiling maple syrup next year.
Here's the good firewood pile
IMG_20210710_164953.jpg
Here's the punky pile
IMG_20210710_165004.jpg
IMG_20210710_154012.jpg

I probably could get away with burning the punky stuff in the stove for shoulder season wood, but I've got so much good wood that I can be a little choosy. Besides, I'm going to need something to burn for making maple syrup, and this should work fine for that. I'll add it to my less than perfect pile I have set aside for that purpose.

I finished up the back row (picture 1927 ) and started the second row of White Pine and added some smaller rounds and splits of hardwood. Once I have the full six face cord stacked, I'll get going on splitting and stacking the Ash, Yellow Birch, Beech and Maple rounds we have.

Attachments

• 104_1927.JPG
    104_1927.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 104_1976.JPG
    104_1976.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 104_1977.JPG
    104_1977.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 118
Now on that #104 picture how many cords would that be about? I am taking a guess here --maybe three? Would that get you through one winter (normal winter) for a large house like maybe 1500 sq feet...maybe its four cords--lol clancey

Reactions: thewoodlands
Now on that #104 picture how many cords would that be about? I am taking a guess here --maybe three? Would that get you through one winter (normal winter) for a large house like maybe 1500 sq feet...maybe its four cords--lol clancey

Lol, speaking when it's not my turn, but I guess it's about 3/4 cord...
And no, that's not enough...

They all have 104 at the start, if it's the last picture ( 104 1977 ) that is just under three face cord.

Each stack is two face cord so we'll have six face cord. We burn four face cord in the fall and the last two in the spring.

We also burn between 10 to 12 face cord of hardwood during the year once it gets colder. Our wood stove is in our basement so we'll burn more .

A cord is a stack of (split) wood of 8 ft x 4 ft x 4 ft. A face cord is a row of 8 ft x 4 ft (an no depth specified).

Yea I did that wrong and it was the last picture of 1977 and I was close I think with three to four cords..or not?? You people make things like this soooo complicated---lol....Is it three or four cords or not--last picture and could that heat a 1500 square foot house--1st floor in the wintertime...Glad you have your wood to keep you busy and out of trouble...clancey

Yea I did that wrong and it was the last picture of 1977 and I was close I think with three to four cords..or not?? You people make things like this soooo complicated---lol....Is it three or four cords or not--last picture and could that heat a 1500 square foot house--1st floor in the wintertime...Glad you have your wood to keep you busy and out of trouble...clancey

No, it is not 3 to 4 cords. Given that that last pic has about 3 *face* cord, it would only be 3 cord if the splits are 4 foot long!

Assuming the splits are 18" long, 3 face cord equates to slightly more than one cord.

That's more complicated then before--I will do some research on wood faces..You mean the wood part that faces you that's what they count---three sides of it--lol lol...I will figure it and basically I just want to know that if someone ordered three cords--forget the faces would this be adequate to heat a 1500 square foot house assuming everything else is okay..So a 48 inch long piece of wood if it is 4x8 in that last picture would be 3 cords--about...What does face have anything to do with all of this? Its okay I will look this up to figure it out in my no math mind....Thanks anyway...clancey

That's more complicated then before--I will do some research on wood faces..You mean the wood part that faces you that's what they count---three sides of it--lol lol...I will figure it and basically I just want to know that if someone ordered three cords--forget the faces would this be adequate to heat a 1500 square foot house assuming everything else is okay..So a 48 inch long piece of wood if it is 4x8 in that last picture would be 3 cords--about...What does face have anything to do with all of this? Its okay I will look this up to figure it out in my no math mind....Thanks anyway...clancey
A face cord is basically 1/3 of a cord. A cord is 128 cubic feet, usually stacked 4’ x 4’ x 8’. Your question of will 3 cord heat a 1500’ home would be subject to the climate house is in.

Here is some reference pictures for face cord, cord & roughly a 3 cord stack

212621BA-9A9B-4E57-BD98-1AD7323C7C93.png

A6A58328-1260-4A55-9098-482C7737CB86.jpeg62C2B3C0-20DA-4807-8583-D5E55E2AB673.jpegEFF18C1A-41A5-4A37-BA0C-1DAC3AE685AE.jpegA9747C6C-FA0B-47F1-9C37-CE8B4AAF3534.jpeg

No, it is not 3 to 4 cords. Given that that last pic has about 3 *face* cord, it would only be 3 cord if the splits are 4 foot long!

Assuming the splits are 18" long, 3 face cord equates to slightly more than one cord.
My stacks at one time came out to be 0.62 of a cord, I haven't done the cord calculator since I started cutting them a bit longer (15.75 inches long) but that should be close. My stacks are 16 feet long, 4 feet high and the splits are 15.75 long.

Reactions: MissMac
The first three pictures are the Ash I delivered to the neighbor our ROW runs through her driveway that I used all spring, she wanted to pay me but I told her earlier this year it was a free face cord.

The last two pictures are the American Hophornbeam I delivered to another neighbor, he never ask for it so this load was on the house.

We had 52 face cord not counting the American Hophornbeam, we have 51 stacked with another 3 or 4 that needs splitting and stacking.

Attachments

• 104_1978.JPG
    104_1978.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 104_1979.JPG
    104_1979.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 104_1980.JPG
    104_1980.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 91
  • 104_1981.JPG
    104_1981.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 104_1982.JPG
    104_1982.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: heavy hammer
My stacks at one time came out to be 0.62 of a cord, I haven't done the cord calculator since I started cutting them a bit longer (15.75 inches long) but that should be close. My stacks are 16 feet long, 4 feet high and the splits are 15.75 long.

Ah, 16 ft is longer than I estimated.
This equates to 84 cubic ft per stack, i.e. 0.65 cord.

@stoveliker , with the new length my stacks that are 16 feet long, 4 feet high and 15.75 in depth comes out to 0.65 of a cord.

Reactions: stoveliker
The first three pictures are the Ash I delivered to the neighbor our ROW runs through her driveway that I used all spring, she wanted to pay me but I told her earlier this year it was a free face cord.

The last two pictures are the American Hophornbeam I delivered to another neighbor, he never ask for it so this load was on the house.

We had 52 face cord not counting the American Hophornbeam, we have 51 stacked with another 3 or 4 that needs splitting and stacking.
i notice once in awhile that you have a row with a top cover. do you top cover everything, or just the upcoming year's supply? wondering what you're up to with some tarped and some open to the elements. that would be a lot of top covering if you were getting at everything

i notice once in awhile that you have a row with a top cover. do you top cover everything, or just the upcoming year's supply? wondering what you're up to with some tarped and some open to the elements. that would be a lot of top covering if you were getting at everything
Usually this years firewood would've been covered, that will happen next week. I'm thinking we have enough covers for about 40 face cord of hardwood and enough covers for our shoulder season wood, six face cord.

I think the one stack that was covered was from last year, that would've been the stack we used if it stayed cold longer.

Reactions: MissMac
Today I covered six face cord of Ash we'll use this year, another two face cord of Ash in the same area has been covered since last year.

I also covered two face cord of Ironwood we plan on burning this year if needed. In the same area the Ironwood is stacked, we a total of six more face cord covered, it's Beech and Sugar Maple that we'll give another year of seasoning.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get more tarps spread out so they can dry and then cover more firewood. The last two years I've been getting more Beech, Yellow Birch and Sugar Maple, if we don't have enough covers for those stacks, we'll get more before fall.

I think we have 16 face cord covered so far, eight face cord of the Beech & Sugar Maple will get another year of seasoning before we use it.

I split and stacked a face cord of Sugar & Soft Maple today where the Ash was. It was one of those days it was nice out and then it would pour for 10 minutes.

I still have some of the Maple left with Ironwood and Beech that will get stacked, tomorrow will be a day off from anything firewood related.

Attachments

• 104_1984.JPG
    104_1984.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 104_1986.JPG
    104_1986.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 104_1987.JPG
    104_1987.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 104_1988.JPG
    104_1988.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 89
Since we had some hard rains this morning, I changed plans on what I was going to do and split three loads of some junk pine and burned most of it.

Attachments

• 104_1989.JPG
    104_1989.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 104_1990.JPG
    104_1990.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 84
  • 104_1991.JPG
    104_1991.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 93
Well I have been doing some wood work..I have half the kiln dried wood in place in the bottom cage and I put all the weird looking wood into the wood shed..One more half to do for the higher cage--Yes...That disabled walker I just use for a staircase climb..lol..It will come in handy I hope much much later...lol....Getting ready when the weather turns "cool " and I have environmental dry logs and fat sticks and cubes to light and a ash can and gloves and smoke detector with carbon dioxide detector as well. When I go to the fireplace store I will get a digital thing to judge wood moisture and if someone would write the name of this thing again I would appreciate.. And also a stove pipe temperature gadget and need the name of that as well and how many inches up the pipe that I place it.. I could look up all this from past postings but I am tired from my hard days work. You all be good and listen to your love ones and give them a hug on this nice sunday..clancey

Attachments

• work done today 003.JPG
    work done today 003.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 80
  • work done today 006.JPG
    work done today 006.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 74
  • work done today 007.JPG
    work done today 007.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 71
  • work done today 008.JPG
    work done today 008.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 74
  • work done today 011.JPG
    work done today 011.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: heavy hammer
Great job!

A moisture meter and a flue probe thermometer (ask your installer to install the probe thermometer as it needs drilling a hole).
Or, if you have single wall stove pipe inside, you can use a magnetic thermometer. No drilling required then.