Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wow. Maples are here just getting to good color. Depending on the wind, I guess 1-2 wks for peak color. Oaks are just green.

That CL, I think he has a bunch of them. So listing a price when sizes differ is hard.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Wow. Maples are here just getting to good color. Depending on the wind, I guess 1-2 wks for peak color. Oaks are just green.

That CL, I think he has a bunch of them. So listing a price when sizes differ is hard.
The only tree that has green leaves on it are our Beech.

The only tree that has green leaves on it are our Beech.

But (in Europe) they may end up keeping their leaves (though brown) until spring...?

Here’s the small amount of work I was able to get; hoping to make one more trip if the mini me cooperates. First pic is mahogany, second pic is juniper on the left and what I believe to be pinyon pine on the right. Last pic is some up close of bark and end grains of the pinyon pine, anyone feel free to correct me if it isn’t. Sorry just realized that last picture isn’t the best, the piece is oozing sap.
2389F840-DC0B-42B2-87D6-1D368F12A776.jpeg
0B9DB1DF-F75A-46DC-86E7-C9F8A5F57232.jpeg
B49782B1-0EB7-4B89-A28B-35CF7A377F8E.jpeg
1963C87A-DDFE-4F52-B358-B369DEF742C8.jpeg

Spent this morning looking for mushrooms. Most maples have dropped their leaves after the last night 2.5” of rain that we got. Oaks are still holding on there. Snow flurries predicted for next Thursday. Wow! It is coming….

Spent this morning looking for mushrooms. Most maples have dropped their leaves after the last night 2.5” of rain that we got. Oaks are still holding on there. Snow flurries predicted for next Thursday. Wow! It is coming

I put a cable on the damaged Maple just incase it didn't fall in the proper direction but it wasn't needed, I brought one load home with some smaller rounds still in the woods.

After I dropped off the Maple rounds, I took a Pine tree down that was near the driveway.

104_2325.JPG 104_2328.JPG 104_2329.JPG 104_2330.JPG 104_2331.JPG 104_2332.JPG

I put a cable on the damaged Maple just incase it didn't fall in the proper direction but it wasn't needed, I brought one load home with some smaller rounds still in the woods.

After I dropped off the Maple rounds, I took a Pine tree down that was near the driveway.

View attachment 283669 View attachment 283670 View attachment 283671 View attachment 283672 View attachment 283673 View attachment 283674
How many cords do you usually have stacked? You do alot of work. Looks like I nice area to spend some time outside.

How many cords do you usually have stacked? You do alot of work. Looks like I nice area to spend some time outside.
I have room for 68 or 69 face cord of hardwood (hopefully that numbers correct) and 12 face cord of Pine, we usually burn 12 face cord of hardwood and another six of Pine each year. I'm not sure what my last count I posted for our hardwood stacked was but you can add 10 face cord to that.

I'm usually 4 plus years ahead but working during this summer should have me 5 plus years ahead on the hardwood and the shoulder season wood I'll be two years ahead stacked with another three or four in log length.

I still haven't even started on the Ash yet which was my fall project, we'll see how much we have after I split & stack everything I hauled out which includes Beech , Maples , Cherry and Ironwood.

I have room for 68 or 69 face cord of hardwood (hopefully that numbers correct) and 12 face cord of Pine, we usually burn 12 face cord of hardwood and another six of Pine each year. I'm not sure what my last count I posted for our hardwood stacked was but you can add 10 face cord to that.

I'm usually 4 plus years ahead but working during this summer should have me 5 plus years ahead on the hardwood and the shoulder season wood I'll be two years ahead stacked with another three or four in log length.

I still haven't even started on the Ash yet which was my fall project, we'll see how much we have after I split & stack everything I hauled out which includes Beech , Maples , Cherry and Ironwood.
Man that's a lot of wood, how many stoves do you run?

Man that's a lot of wood, how many stoves do you run?
Just one wood stove, if the stove was upstairs and not the basement, we would use half that.

I enjoy working in the woods, just the animals, trees and a chainsaw.

Yesterday I was rained out so today while checking the property, I noticed this damaged Maple just off a secondary trail, I felled it and the load is home.

Hopefully with everything I brought out, we have 4 or 5 face cord, that will be enough that it will put us over 5 years ahead based on burning 12 face cord of hardwood per year.

In pictures 2335 and 2341, you can see the area that was damaged and starting to rot.

104_2335.JPG 104_2337.JPG 104_2339.JPG 104_2340.JPG 104_2341.JPG 104_2343.JPG 104_2344.JPG 104_2345.JPG 104_2346.JPG

After checking the property, I noticed this Maple rotting from the top down near the main trail through this area so I felled it, bucked it up and brought it home.

I noticed picture 2347 on my ride, I'm not sure what it is.

104_2347.JPG 104_2348.JPG 104_2349.JPG 104_2350.JPG 104_2351.JPG 104_2352.JPG 104_2353.JPG 104_2354.JPG 104_2355.JPG

I have some relatives in the Raleigh NC area, what are your winters like temp wise?
Woodlands, I'll jump in here and respond. I live south of Raleigh and our winters are mild compared to many on this site. I burn full time from mid-November to mid-March. A typical winter day is high of 50 and low of 30 for me. We do have cold spells with lows in th teens and highs in the 30s ocassionally. If we get 2-3 inches of snow, it's big news around here.

I was stationed at Fort Bragg for several years, about an hour drive south west-ish from Raleigh. Winters are usually damp with lots of rain and hover around freezing. Occasionally the top few inches of soil will freeze for a few weeks in January or February, but that is about it. I think the coldest morning I remember was in the high 20's and the ground was crusty, but it hit the high 30's or low 40's later in the day.

After checking the property, I noticed this Maple rotting from the top down near the main trail through this area so I felled it, bucked it up and brought it home.

I noticed picture 2347 on my ride, I'm not sure what it is.
Look like a Jack-in-the-Pulpit berry/seed pod.

First frost here this morning - just the grass tips and patchy, but a frost non the less.
We had patchy frost yesterday up here in the St Lawrence Valley/Northern Adirondacks, but a good hard 25 degree killing frost last night. I lit the boiler this morning. I usually wait until around Turkey Day, but with the price of oil a fire seemed like a good idea. Pic is of my 25 mini kilns, 1/2 cord each, plus 12 pallets in reserve. I moved six into the wood shed the other day, opened the first one this morning and checked a few splits that averaged 10% moisture; the Biomass 80 loves it.

IMG_1221.jpg

I started splitting & stacking some Sugar & Soft Maple and then finished the day off stacking some Beech, each stack is a face cord.

I definitely have another face cord plus left to split & stack, if I don't have a full two face cord left, I'll find some damaged trees so I can finish off the last face cord. That will leave room for four more face cord in that area, I'm not sure if I'll fill it with Ash or something else.

Since we have some good rains coming in, we put in four loads of pine today, two before I started stacking and two after I was done stacking.

104_2356.JPG 104_2357.JPG 104_2358.JPG 104_2359.JPG 104_2360.JPG

Woodlands, I'll jump in here and respond. I live south of Raleigh and our winters are mild compared to many on this site. I burn full time from mid-November to mid-March. A typical winter day is high of 50 and low of 30 for me. We do have cold spells with lows in th teens and highs in the 30s ocassionally. If we get 2-3 inches of snow, it's big news around here.
Thanks for the info, my uncle still likes to get out and drive in the 2-3 inches since that was nothing compared to what we get.

Reactions: fvhowler