working with hearthstone mountain 60. Thinking of changing for more direct fire heat...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lbk

Apr 7, 2022
BC canada
hello
I have been combing this blog for days.
we purchased a Mountain 60 wood stove last February. First Catalytic stove after our small Jotul F 100
We doubled our house surface and are now heating about 1200 Sq.ft. thus the need for larger stove.
We fell in love with the looks of the mountain 60, BUT when we tried it at home, we were not getting the fire feeling we were used to with our smaller Jotul.
Our wood is not ideal and thats going to be a constant factor. We live in the east Kootenays BC Canada at almost 3000 ft of altitude and collect our wood in the forest during summer.
It seems that we are having a hard time to really get the stove heat up to its ideal temp. so as to keep the glass and inner soap stone clean. I'm guessing that the catalyst must also not like this so much. (probably due to humidity of wood)
Although this stove is hybrid (cat off, it has a secondary burn system) our fires have often been smothered down but most important for us, and this is my main question, this stove seems to put out less direct heat than a cast iron or steel stove would. We have been visiting many friends this winter with basic stoves and walking in the room, you would just feel that toaster feeling emanating from the fireplace. I love that and I think that the soap stone lowers that effect. Probably why it is written on the hearthstone website that their stoves give off a more "comfortable" heat.
We are considering switching to another stove maybe a jotul, but just want to make sure about the difference of heat out put.
I'm still wondering if we are not using the Mountain 60 to its full potential because our seller was saying that it also gives off this primal heat as non-catalytic stoves do. But we have not really experienced it. It feels more like a big radiator. Oh, and the air control when at its minimum is still too open to our liking, because one cannot cut off the air to a full load at night and just start it up in the morning again as we used to with the Jotul.

Hoping to hear back.

hello
I have been combing this blog for days.
we purchased a Mountain 60 wood stove last February. First Catalytic stove after our small Jotul F 100
We doubled our house surface and are now heating about 1200 Sq.ft. thus the need for larger stove.
We fell in love with the looks of the mountain 60, BUT when we tried it at home, we were not getting the fire feeling we were used to with our smaller Jotul.
Our wood is not ideal and thats going to be a constant factor. We live in the east Kootenays BC Canada at almost 3000 ft of altitude and collect our wood in the forest during summer.
It seems that we are having a hard time to really get the stove heat up to its ideal temp. so as to keep the glass and inner soap stone clean. I'm guessing that the catalyst must also not like this so much. (probably due to humidity of wood)
Although this stove is hybrid (cat off, it has a secondary burn system) our fires have often been smothered down but most important for us, and this is my main question, this stove seems to put out less direct heat than a cast iron or steel stove would. We have been visiting many friends this winter with basic stoves and walking in the room, you would just feel that toaster feeling emanating from the fireplace. I love that and I think that the soap stone lowers that effect. Probably why it is written on the hearthstone website that their stoves give off a more "comfortable" heat.
We are considering switching to another stove maybe a jotul, but just want to make sure about the difference of heat out put.
I'm still wondering if we are not using the Mountain 60 to its full potential because our seller was saying that it also gives off this primal heat as non-catalytic stoves do. But we have not really experienced it. It feels more like a big radiator. Oh, and the air control when at its minimum is still too open to our liking, because one cannot cut off the air to a full load at night and just start it up in the morning again as we used to with the Jotul.

Hoping to hear back.
What type and how tall is your chimney? What moisture content is your wood?