Worm Composting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
We are avid gardeners at my home and always looking for better ways to compost. I currently use a compost tumbler, but am not all that impressed with the results. I think it would work better if it were darker in color to assist in raising internal temps. However, my wife doesn't want it to become more of an eye sore. So, to my topic... has anyone tried a worm composter? It claims to be odor free for indoor use all year around.

http://www.jamiesearth.com/store-products-Worm-4Tray-The-Worm-Factory:-4-Tray-System_40789624.html

Let me know if you've tried it. Thanks!

Reactions: GardenAmbition
I have had a compost pile for years, and many at every property. However please go to your local state or county cooperative extension for more info or the described web based sites for more info.

If I keep it fresh and turned my wife always agrees on it's advantage. Leaves, grass or hay on top keep it good looking!

The return of all possible organic things to the earth is wonderful.

I use red worms for my indoor compost, no smells, etc. In fact, I am getting ready to cull the "herd?" and make another one for the teacher's room at school %-P

They are not not earth worms that burrow, so you do not need a tumbler since the stay on top and eat all of your organic matter. However, I would be careful with cut grass in the house. The improper density and/or moisture could start to smell.

I do not know how where or how cold Rockford is, but if it is on the mild side of IL and with some protection, you may be able to leave them out in the winter.

has anyone tried a worm composter?
I have one of these down in my cellar for a couple of years now. The liquid runoff works well for watering plants with fertilizer. First rate compost. One tray at a time doesn't eat all of our garbage. I also have an electric composter for indoor winter use. Works great.

Are you guys using homemade setups or commercially made like the one in the link? What is an electric composter?

I use the worm farm like in the link. Got it on Ebay. 5 trays with drain spigot. I have an electric composter for winter use. Check out natures Mill. Spendy but makes some nice compost quick.

Will

I just use the old compost pile at home but back in school, we vermicomposted the entire cafeteria food scrap waste in worm boxes. You can make them or buy them. Ours were made out of wood and worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.