Worth keeping Regency R3 or update?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Randle

Sep 8, 2023
Lund B.C.
I am thinking of replacing 1993 Regecy wood stove with something newer to reduce emmisions and gain efficiency. But I don't know how efficient my stove is compared to a newer or brand new stove. Would appreciate any info out there.
Thanks Ross

There will be some improvement. How much will depend on the replacement stove. The R3 was EPA-rated at 63% efficiency and 4.2 gm/hr emissions. Modern stoves can be in the 73-78% efficiency range and some approach pellet stoves for lower emissions. So figure on gaining 10-15% efficiency and cutting emissions by better than half with a new stove. When looking, factor in that often with the highest efficiency stoves come some additional maintenance and cost.

Moved to the Regency forum. The R3 is an EPA stove.