Would I be over-building it if…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PDutro

Sep 26, 2021
Oregon
This radiation shield still needs a storm collar. But I am considering putting up some kind of frame around the two sides adjacent to the wall as well as a barrier in front of the wall where the old batt insulation is (I don’t like that crispy paper within a foot of my chimney)

I might even remove the batt, it’s sitting against and interior wall, the top of a half vault ceiling.

So essentially I would be closing off three sides around the chimney pipe to make certain no insulation or anything would ever tumble over and lean against the pipe.

I’m also planning on installing a wireless camera up there so I don’t have to climb up into the attic to check on it more than every once in awhile. But that’s not part of my question :)

Thoughts?

8CFFCF74-2E9A-4F94-9B1A-D768E28B2858.jpeg 75F9C55B-0BBD-4780-A996-690D7915F88B.jpeg

Yes, this is overthinking things, especially the camera. The paper face is far enough away, but if you want better peace of mind you could create a crisscrossed, X pattern across the face of the insulation using thin wire.

Reactions: PDutro
Jeez. I read "radiation shield" and wondered where this was headed. Watching too much news. 😃

Great advice.

The camera WOULD be pretty cool, though…

I understand with these Excel chimney systems 2” clearance is sufficient, but what kind of potential heat does the outer pipe put off? Is there a chance that insulation would ignite if it were to fall against it?

Great advice.

The camera WOULD be pretty cool, though…

I understand with these Excel chimney systems 2” clearance is sufficient, but what kind of potential heat does the outer pipe put off? Is there a chance that insulation would ignite if it were to fall against it?
If it fell against it yes. If you are concerned some wire over it will work. Some sort of sheathing etc.

If it fell against it yes. If you are concerned some wire over it will work. Some sort of sheathing etc.
I tend to be a “peace of mind” guy, especially because I have three young children.

I love the idea of a camera, but I suppose some wire would put my mind at ease :)

Okay so I’m thinking some basic thin gauge wire, some nails or screws into the 2x4’s and cross cross to make up a simple wire barrier. Am I missing something?

No concern about the radiant heat from the chimney being an issue with the old crispy paper on that old batt?

Radiation is low; the chimney is insulated.
I used the cheapest slats of wood I could find at the orange store and nailed some diagonals across insulation. May be easier than dealing with wire (at least that was.my thinking).

Yes, this is overthinking things, especially the camera. The paper face is far enough away, but if you want better peace of mind you could create a crisscrossed, X pattern across the face of the insulation using thin wire.
Apparently the storm collar over the radiation shield is not required by code in my area and installers rarely put them on.

Should I worry about it or leave it as-is?

Apparently the storm collar over the radiation shield is not required by code in my area and installers rarely put them on.

Should I worry about it or leave it as-is?
If it is required in the manual it is required by code. Code does not determine how ul listed systems are installed

With the camera you can possibly see where the mice are getting in

Why not Roxul or any other brand mineral wool insulation in that cavity?

With the camera you can possibly see where the mice are getting in

Why not Roxul or any other brand mineral wool insulation in that cavity?
Because according to the manufacturer it needs to be open

Okay so I’m thinking some basic thin gauge wire, some nails or screws into the 2x4’s and cross cross to make up a simple wire barrier. Am I missing something?
That will do it. If you have a heavy-duty staple gun, that will make quick work out of the job.

This radiation shield still needs a storm collar. But I am considering putting up some kind of frame around the two sides adjacent to the wall as well as a barrier in front of the wall where the old batt insulation is (I don’t like that crispy paper within a foot of my chimney)

I might even remove the batt, it’s sitting against and interior wall, the top of a half vault ceiling.

So essentially I would be closing off three sides around the chimney pipe to make certain no insulation or anything would ever tumble over and lean against the pipe.

I’m also planning on installing a wireless camera up there so I don’t have to climb up into the attic to check on it more than every once in awhile. But that’s not part of my question :)

Thoughts?

View attachment 293149 View attachment 293150
where in these pics does it get a storm collar?

where in these pics does it get a storm collar?
Never mind, I assume to close off the top of the radiation barrier.
Yes get rid of that 40 YO paper backed insulation.
I'd still recommend a bag of mineral wool batts which are rated to 2000F to insulate the immediate area, both flat and vertical around the pipe/shield.

Can't; need 2" space around the pipe per mfg. And insurance will often use anything to not have to pay out.

Can't; need 2" space around the pipe per mfg. And insurance will often use anything to not have to pay out.
2" from his radiation shield as well?
I am suggesting to the OP that if he has concerns about safety then go a step further and use mineral wool where he would otherwise be allowed to use regular insulation in the immediate area around the pipe. Maybe his Ins. co. will give him extra credit....LOL

Reactions: stoveliker
I am suggesting to the OP that if he has concerns about safety then go a step further and use mineral wool where he would otherwise be allowed to use regular insulation in the immediate area around the pipe. Maybe his Ins. co. will give him extra credit....LOL
No the insulation shield gives you the 2"

Reactions: snobuilder

You said pipe. Not shield. No insulation within 2" of the pipe is what I responded. Not even roxul.

Reactions: snobuilder

To the OP, Do you also plan on adding insulation to what exists which looks like R13 or R-19 batts over the top of a little loose fill insulation?

Also if that entire knee wall is insulated with the paper vapor barrier out toward the cold attic it is installed backwards.

Last edited:
Which I took to mean pipe and shield. Pipe is a nope. Hence my post.