Would it be OK to have leaded glass windows next to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CWYfire

Nov 21, 2008
NE Oklahoma
I have been building an alcove installation that is shaped like a bay window for my Century FW300007 stove. While on hold figuring out how to do the hearth, I go to thinking about installing some kind of windows in the angular walls in the side walls to let in some light.

I was thinking a 2'x2' pane in the upper portion on each side of the alcove using insulated fixed glass with either stained glass or beveled leaded glass sandwiched inside.

I have a few questions:

First, would it be safe to place these windows on the sides above the stove where the direct heat should be less?

Second, would there be any problem that the radiant heat might melt the lead around the glass pieces? I pretty sure lead melts at lower temps than glass.

Third, would it be legal to install the Durock 1" airspace heat shield on the angular side walls and only making them a few inches higher than the top of the stove and still be able to gain the closer allowance to the wall than the manufacture's set back specs, so long as the stove pipe is far enough from the sides to still be within specs?

Thanks
Ed

Alcove installations also include height clearances. Check the clearances required for the stove of your choice - I think you will find you won't have enough height left over to do any type of reasonable window area in the remaining space. You mentioned that lead melts at a lower temp and you are correct. Beveled glass is typically a heavier (aka thicker) glass than regular stained glass or window glass therefore a heavier glass puts more stress on 'warmed' lead. Whether the lead melts or not would not be my initial concern. Lead can sag before melting therefore losing the integrity of the entire design. Some stained glass companies might recommend re-barring the entire design but the sagging issue with heat applied would remain.

Shari
(who has a hobby of stained glass)

Thanks for the reply Shari,

I was thinking of placing these windows in the upper portion of the side walls that would be quite a ways above the side of the stove. I'm sure there is still going to be rising heat. But I am unsure how much and if the heat shield below the windows will in effect ward off some of the heat that might come up the wall.

I am sure that the height of the ceiling in my alcove is adequate. However I am concerned that even within a multiplexed glass like triple pane, there could be a heat build up inside that could promote a melting or as you said a sagging of the leaded artwork.

Any other advise or tips would be appreciated.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Ed

It sounds like the windows are well above the top of the stove. Is that correct? Lead has a melting point around 600 deg IIRC. If so, I suspect this will be fine. For extra certainty, I'd use double wall pipe to reduce heat radiation higher up from the pipe.

Can you post top down view of the alcove layout with hearth and stove locations and measurements? It's easier to check clearances this way.

.....to continue my input: Another thought instead of windows might be to simply install open transoms and 'hang' stained glass panels inside the open transoms. Result would be an open air space around the glass panels for any heat build up to escape. The stained glass panels should be framed in a solid u-channel not just a stretched lead frame.

Shari

I checked with a leaded glass expert. Here's her response:

I'm only guessing here, but as far as I know it should be fine. If it's the heat you're worried about, that's shouldn't be a problem. The lowest temperature solder melts at is 361 degrees F and lead melts at 621.43F. I can't imagine that the heat from a wood stove would make it that hot in the alcove.

I can't think of any other reason for not putting leaded glass up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.