Would this be an impossible insert install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
I am going for the largest stove I can fit.

This Jotul C550 stove is 30.0W by 23.75H.
My fireplace opening is 32.5W by 25.0H.

Will the installer be able to connect the stove pipe to the stove before he pushes the stove into place or do they need the stove in place before the pipe is installed?

Thanks,
Steve

bluefrier said:
Don't think it's impossible but will be a PITA. Did you contact the installer?
check out this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19078/

I only put a deposit on the Jotul C550 because they have one in stock. I am checking with other Jotul dealers to see if they have any. One dealer has told me there is not enough room. Who knows, they may not want to deal with the PITA installs.

I am also working with a sweep contractor. He might be able to figure this out (hopefully!).

stejus said:
I am going for the largest stove I can fit.

This Jotul C550 stove is 30.0W by 23.75H.
My fireplace opening is 32.5W by 25.0H.

Will the installer be able to connect the stove pipe to the stove before he pushes the stove into place or do they need the stove in place before the pipe is installed?

Thanks,
Steve

I researched this same question myself a few months ago for my fireplace which is pretty close in measurement to yours. Jotul specifies 33" width, though the unit appears to measure only 30". One of the issues is that the powercord for the fans is a CE type that plugs into a flush receptacle on the lower left side panel just behind the surround panel. Such a cord needs a little room to make a bend, but I doubt it requires the full 3 extra inches Jotul specifies. I think you are good on width.

Vertically, there's not much room to work with. I concluded that the pipe could be installed in my case by removing the baffle in the C550, then reaching up through the stove via the flue collar to pull the pipe into place. I installed my present insert that way, no problems, by installing the flue collar adapter on the liner before sliding the insert into the fireplace.

One thing that made the install easy is that my insert, a VC WinterWarm (small), called for a "draw-down kit". This is essentially a length of 5/16 all-thread rod installed through the diameter of the stovepipe flue-collar adapter (some drilling and measuring required -- 10 mintue job), and some other simple hardware that pulls this rod down firmly toward the stove. It was pretty easy to reach up through the stove, grab this solid rod, and yank the collar adapter down into the flue collar. I think a similar rod could be installed to help with the C550.

See the VC draw down kit here: http://www.cfmcustomercare.com/elements/uploads/files/2000888_WinterWarmSi.pdf Scroll down to page 7.

VC calls for 1/4 inch rod. I made my own and used 5/16 for the extra strength I needed to manipulate my stiff liner.

The install was not a PITA, and I think the C550 would not be either if you prepare for it in this way.

VTZJ -

I knew I could find someone who went through this before. I have not heard back from my dealer or sweep yet. I will wait for their response and then mention this creative approach. The sweep I am dealing with mentioned he has installed several Jotul inserts so I can't imagine he's a novice at this!

Thanks - Steve

I have the Rockland 550. It also has a draw down flu adapter that you can gram after the stove is slid in. I had plenty of clearance above my stove so I did not need to do that, but it does come with the adapter that VTZJ is speaking of.

I'm really starting to think this stove is too large for my fireplace and I'm bumming based on two sweeps saying get a smaller stove.

Two sweeps have told me there is not enough room to connect the liner to the flue collar because it's too tight. I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer installer. I forwarded the sweeps this site ( http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/ffdoweltrick.htm ) to give them confidence that it can be done.

I'm not giving up yet. Hopefully one of them will take on the challenge!

I've just about given up on the C550. They are all telling my my there's no way they can get the liner installed once the stove is in place. The only way I could fit the C550 in was if I extended my fireplace face out 3". I guess this would cause the stove flu outlet to be too far forward of the chimney damper.

Oh well, onto a different approach, an HI300. There will be a gap (about 1/4" to 1/2") between the surround and the fireplace face. I will need to get a piece of cast and fabricate a new surround that will fill the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.