Would you do it again?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes,would do again. Quit doing firewood when could no longer cut it close by. Being in the mountains,with regular power outages,also have LPG pilot wall furnaces,that work as convection units,even when power is out. Some years I also have burned little to no pellets,when LP was super cheap. Always best to have a backup.

In a new york minute. Went with 100% pellet heat 21 years ago and haven’t looked back.
Living in upstate New York, that 'in a New York Minute' is very apropos. Any snow up there yet?

Yeah we had a couple blasts couple inches each time but melted by the next day. The old plow truck is next in the shop for som brake line repair :(

I'm sure once the Great Lakes snow machine kicks in you'll have plenty. I see NWS ir predicting (for what it's worth), above average snow accumulation.

I would definitely do it again and the only do over would be not to let Lori talk me out of the P61A I wanted to get. The P43 is a great stove but I like the comfort of having the ability to have some more output if I want it.

sam

I'm sure once the Great Lakes snow machine kicks in you'll have plenty. I see NWS ir predicting (for what it's worth), above average snow accumulation.
It fired up for us last week. Just an inch here and there for us but the news said they got 11” of snow an hour away. It’s mild this week but supposed to start again this weekend.

I remember back about 20 years ago I was looking at this corn stove from Northern Tool for my house, thinking of replacing the woodstove with it. I knew nothing about it so I didn’t do it, also had no place to store the corn. I knew people with pellet stoves and it seems all I heard about were the pellet shortages. Lots of farmers around here though. Later on the woodstove was a lifesaver after the kid’s mom left. That was a great little stove, essentially a Kent Tile Fire without the pretty tiles.

But I wouldn’t go back now unless I absolutely had to.

I was born in Key West but my folks moved to Cleveland, Ohio when I was a little guy because my dad took a job as a research chemist with the now defunct Republic Steel and I not so fondly remember the Great Lakes snow machine in Cleveland. The farther east from Cleveland you went, the more snow you got. Up here in south eastern Michigan we don't get a lot but we do get the cold weather none the less. Up here, the prevailing wind is out of the west so it's cold on the plains, it's cold here too.

When we had the farmhouse remodeled, we did away with all the windows that faced west just because of that cold winter wind. Actually, only reason I'm here is my wife. She took a transfer to the Federal Building in Detroit, Michigan and I went where she went. I was a truck driver so I could work anywhere. The farm came about because of her, she bought it and I bought more land later on. I'm a transplanted city boy turned farmer and candidly, I'm all good with it. I much prefer a rural existence over the city life. Much more laid back out here and very few people to deal with. besides, I don't much like people anyway. People carry too much baggage and I'm not interested in it.