Would You Recommend the Castle Serenity Pellet Stove?

Mac16 Posted By Mac16, Jul 24, 2017 at 1:34 PM

1. Mac16

Mac16
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 24, 2017
    Loc:
    UK
    Hello, I'm thinking about buying the Castle Serenity wood pellet stove, primarily because I'm on a tight budget and it has received good ratings/reviews on numerous websites including http://www.consumersearch.com/pellet-and-wood-stoves and http://heattalk.com/best-pellet-stoves-reviews/

I have obviously read the above reviews but I'd like to know the views of people with more experience with pellet stoves and even better - people who might actually own the Castle or have some experience with it.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

2. rich2500

rich2500
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Berks County PA.
    great stove for the price, many happy serenity owners here.My only 2 dislikes with the stove are that the stove don't shutdown in thermostat mode and that the intake air adjustment doesn't come with an external adjustment rod ( easy enough to add your own though ) other than those 2 things it's a real winner.

3. Deezl Smoke

Deezl Smoke
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2015
    Loc:
    Oregon
    I have 3 of them. Two in my house, and now one in my hobby shack.

I have no experience with other makes or models. But for smaller areas, or well insulated larger areas, it is an excellent heater on a budget. To keep costs down to meet that low of price point, of course some corners had to be cut. So it is perhaps a bit louder than some higher end, pricier stoves. The fit and finish is still good, but not as refined as higher end stoves. The power draw is very low for the heat it puts out. Pellet usage will vary with pellet type and condition, but the Serenity is forgiving of many pellet conditions. It just takes a bit of user input to make adjustments accordingly.

So if you are looking for a hands off stove that is set it and forget it, the Serenity is not for you. If you dont mind being involved with the running of the stove, and your area is not too large, you may very well like the Serenity and all it has to offer. The pellet hopper just fits a 40lb bag. So refill will leave a few pounds in each bag. Pellet types that cause lots of ash will require more frequent burn pot cleaning, which only takes a few seconds. Your satisfaction will basically depend on your willingness to interact with the stove, and your willingness to tolerate heat variation in the house. In other words, it's not a gas or electric furnace that you just set a dial and never look again. It's a pellet stove that requires loading of pellets daily and occasional cleaning and maintenance. But the cleaning and maintenance can be done by you with a vacuum cleaner, not a certified technician at $120 and hour.

GT_Sharp, Lake Girl and rich2500 like this.
  4. Sytamra

Sytamra
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2017
    Loc:
    New Mexico
    I do not own one but I've done many hours of research and this is the stove I will buy to replace my quadrafire Santa Fe before winter sets in.

GT_Sharp and rich2500 like this.
  5. Nvnv

Nvnv
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2016
    Loc:
    NV
    I love mine. It's my first pellet stove but ran great all last winter. I don't run mine 24/7 as I have a mini split that heats during the day when I'm not home. I fire it up when I get home from work then run it until I go to bed.

Very easy to clean. Not too bad to get dialed in. This year I think I'm going to add a rod so I can adjust the air flow from outside the stove.

I actually just fired it up tonight for the first time this season. We just got a little cold snap and are into the 30's at night for the next few days. It still had a full hopper from last year so I just turned it on and it fired right up without skipping a beat.

Deezl Smoke, GT_Sharp and rich2500 like this.
  6. Talegas

Talegas
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2016
    Loc:
    Metrowest MA
    Love mine.. although this is going to be the second year to use it (meaning i have short experience with it).

Same as Nvnv, I'm doing adjustments to it like a rod to be able to adjust flow on the fly.. i'll add OAK today just to see if there is a big difference from using the air from the room..etc.. love it.

I don't use it with thermostat nor automatic mode... i just leave it in low setting and adjust it up a level if is really cold outside. That said, if i was to sue the thermostat, i dislike the fact that is not "smart enough" to say "ok, you are at 72 at low stall, and you want 74.. ok, i'll increase a SINGLE stall" nooo. .the thing is either ALL in or all out in thermostat mode.

But since i don't care about that, i am fine leaving it at low.

I was about to say "their support is great!".. but this is the second time in the week i give them a call and they leave me hanging for 15 minutes without even saying "someone is here, give us a bit more time". I am assuming that once they pick up the phone (or care to respond to my online inquiry) they'll be as great as they were last year.

Deezl Smoke and rich2500 like this.
  7. StickPick73

StickPick73
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2015
    Loc:
    Eau Claire, WI
    I'd absolutely recommend the Serenity, depending, of course, upon what specifically you're looking for, as others have mentioned.

We're going on our third heating season with the Serenity. I installed it in our finished basement for supplemental heat, and to reduce heating costs. Our primary heat source is a propane forced air furnace. Since installing the Serenity, our furnace barely runs, even though we live in northwest Wisconsin where the winters are pretty harsh.

The Serenity is easy to maintain and burns various pellets well and sells at an affordable price.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Deezl Smoke and rich2500 like this.