Would you use an axe or maul to split wood that is already split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CRJ700

Dec 22, 2017
Long Island
I already split about 2 cords of wood this season. I have a batch of splits that are a bit too big for my stove. I only have a 6lb maul that I use but its really beat up and I'm looking for an excuse to replace. Would it be better to use an axe for wood that has already been split or should I just stick with my maul?

I already split about 2 cords of wood this season. I have a batch of splits that are a bit too big for my stove. I only have a 6lb maul that I use but its really beat up and I'm looking for an excuse to replace. Would it be better to use an axe for wood that has already been split or should I just stick with my maul?
I only use a maul if my splitting axe can't do the job..
My experience is that already split wood splits easily. So no maul for me on such wood. (Unless hte already split wood was split just around big knots etc...)

Here you go. Now you can tell your wife the (anonymous, who knows because "some voice on the internet...") expert told you to buy a splitting axe ;)

Reactions: tlc1976
X27 w/ a tire is your friend here, load a few splits in the tire and whack away, the tire keeps the splits from falling all over

My experience is that already split wood splits easily. So no maul for me on such wood. (Unless hte already split wood was split just around big knots etc...)

Here you go. Now you can tell your wife the (anonymous, who knows because "some voice on the internet...") expert told you to buy a splitting axe ;)
haha excellent.. I was looking at a Fiskars X27 Splitting Axe 36 in. You think this would be sufficient ?

haha excellent.. I was looking at a Fiskars X27 Splitting Axe 36 in. You think this would be sufficient ?
If I'm hand splitting the x27 does a fantastic job, the design of the head offer both a sharp edge, but wedged the right way to blow pieces apart, its now my go to, and its lighter weight so you dont get tired as fast.

Reactions: StudlyHogly

Yes. I just bought one after having worked with an inferior splitting axe. The x27 makes it easy.

They do sell shorter ones; I'm 6'3" and 36" is good for me.

X27 w/ a tire is your friend here, load a few splits in the tire and whack away, the tire keeps the splits from falling all over
Kenny is absolutely correct. The Fiskars X27 is great. I have the slightly smaller version and I would like the X27, but the one I have does fine. If I can't split it with that, I have wedges... If it looks too gnarly to bother with the wedges, I have a 25 ton splitter.

Put a tire on top of a log, screw it to the log. Put enough of your splits in the tire so the opening is mostly filled, but not tight... Then bang bang bang bang bang bang bang. You will be amazed at the time savings versus doing one at a time with no tire. For little stuff like stuff that is already split, I find that putting multiples in the tire opening is key to prevent excessive bending over/picking up.

And as long as you are buying a Fiskars product, consider the hookaroon. I love that thing.

Reactions: all night moe
I use a maul even to split wood into kindling. Works good for me. The weight is key.

Get a splitting axe, my X25 does 90% of the splitting, the maul only gets used to split big rounds into quarters.

Reactions: EbS-P

Same here. And if the maul and sledge won’t do it, I’ll just use the chainsaw.

For re splitting x27 is way more than enough. I would want something about 4 pounds and about 28-32”. Now if I could only have one ax it’s the maul. second ax for re splitting something light and nimble. I won’t be standing each piece up just splitting on the pile.

Neither. I use this on my wood rounds. Have used it for over a year. Much easier for me than trying to split with an axe or maul. Me using a manual log splitter

I use the X27 with the 30 inch handle - it clears my garage collar ties when splitting inside. And I’m not exactly tall so I think it’s perfect size! It’s probably overkill for splitting wood down that’s already split but i find it light enough to swing and rarely need to strike the same piece twice. If it’s a small split that’s nice and straight and I’m making kindling then I will use a hatchet. But that doesn’t always split them in one swing.

Another vote for the x27. The hollow handle makes it light enough to choke up and split kindling as well.

I don’t use axes unless it’s really small stuff. 6 pound maul, then sledge and wedge, then if that doesn’t work I’m getting the chainsaw.

Reactions: tlc1976
Yet another vote for the Fiskars! My maul is rusting away somewhere since I bought the Fiskars, if the Fiskars can't do it, it's time for the sledge and wedge.

TE

As a long time Monster Maul user, the X27 is the way to go. Split two chords from 12-18 inch rounds with X27 last year. Still have a MTD log splitter, Monster Maul and now X27 in my arsenal. Have not used a sledge and wedge in years.

As a long time Monster Maul user, the X27 is the way to go
Agreed, I retired my monster maul years ago and my 8# mall is going to see much less work as I purchased the X27 a week ago. Works great but so far have used it only to split larger pieces already split. Before purchasing you may want to check and see where it was made as the first two I looked at were made in Indonesia and Taiwan. I finally found one at Tractor Supply which was made in Finland.

I also use a Fiskars. I like to split really large pieces with my log splitter into bite size pieces so I can use the ax on those. Haven't used a maul in years.

I have an electric splitter to make the big pieces smaller and to make kindling.