Wrap vs preinsulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Preinsulated or wrap insulation for flexible chimney liner?

• Total voters

Julie312

Okay everyone, I'm looking for opinions far and wide. DH is set on instaling a new masonry chimney liner as a DIY project for our new wood stove as the current flue is too large to provide a proper draft. It's a 20' chimney and I'm definitely going with insulated. (No pour in type). I've come across 2 main ways of doing this it seems like. The first where you wrap an insulation blanket around the flexible liner yourself before install and the second where it comes preinsulated (insulation between two walls). Does anyone have a preference? Pros and cons of each? Brands? Any and all input appreciated.

TLDR: Wrap insulation or preinsulated for flexible chimney liner?

Last edited:
It really depends upon the situation. Preinsulated is allot heavier and much less flexible. But you don't need to worry about damaging the insulation.

Clearance shouldn't be too much of an issue. I think the flue size was 8x11 if I'm not mistaken and almost straight down. Not an insert either. I'm worried about quality of the liner mostly. I've read on some sites that the preinsulated liners are cheaper quality typically. I'd hate to get preinsulated because it seemed easier to install and then find out its junk in a few years.

Clearance shouldn't be too much of an issue. I think the flue size was 8x11 if I'm not mistaken and almost straight down. Not an insert either. I'm worried about quality of the liner mostly. I've read on some sites that the preinsulated liners are cheaper quality typically. I'd hate to get preinsulated because it seemed easier to install and then find out its junk in a few years.
You need to measure the inside dimensions of your clay. Most of the time insulated 6" round won't fit down an 8x12. Many times even a bare 6" round will be difficult.

But no there is no difference in the quality of liner as long as you are comparing from the same company. The difference in quality comes from the different types of liners.

I have a clay liner just like you and burning a PH, rear vent, 16' tall). I went with oval, rigid, pre-insulated, double wall liner and could not be happier with performance. The liner was a tight fit but it went in. Straight down the chimney to a T, and into the back of the stove. Transitioned from Oval to Round at the T in the chimney. As someone mentioned above, this pipe is heavy and very high quality. Also, a little more expensive than other solutions. I did the installation myself.

Good luck!