Wrapping firewood in plastic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbursan

Jan 29, 2014
Upper Alabama
I've only got one place I can put firewood outside to get airflow and sunlight that's not in my front yard, and it's not that much area. About 1/4 or 1/3 cord I think. So I need to be able to take the wood that's dry and store it in my workshop to make room for the next load of wood to dry. The wood I currently have is dry (it was dry last year) and I'm as confident as can be that it's free of bugs, but if I'm bringing it inside the shop I'd feel better if it was wrapped in plastic. Is there anything wrong with wrapping completely dry wood in plastic for storage? The plan is to either wrap it in bundles or large heavy-duty bags, then I'll take out what I need as I need it and put it on my back porch. I don't burn a lot of wood so I'm ok with the extra work involved, but just want to make sure there aren't any obvious problems I'm missing with storing wood sealed in plastic.

I have been storing 5+ cords of fire wood (Dry) in
my basement for the last 38 years with out
ever having a bug problem . Every fall we fill
her up for the winter . I also keep 3+ cords in my shop
to heat it through the winter also no bugs
Now I do live in the country and we do have bugs
but not in the house or shop . I can't see were plastic
bags will make much difference . Other than if you get temp.
swings you could get some condensation in the bags
or under plastic sheets .

I've only got one place I can put firewood outside to get airflow and sunlight that's not in my front yard, and it's not that much area. About 1/4 or 1/3 cord I think. So I need to be able to take the wood that's dry and store it in my workshop to make room for the next load of wood to dry. The wood I currently have is dry (it was dry last year) and I'm as confident as can be that it's free of bugs, but if I'm bringing it inside the shop I'd feel better if it was wrapped in plastic. Is there anything wrong with wrapping completely dry wood in plastic for storage? The plan is to either wrap it in bundles or large heavy-duty bags, then I'll take out what I need as I need it and put it on my back porch. I don't burn a lot of wood so I'm ok with the extra work involved, but just want to make sure there aren't any obvious problems I'm missing with storing wood sealed in plastic.
I keep some firewood in the house and garage and all of it is unwrapped so that it can keep drying until I use it (I ran some tests and found that wood dried surprisingly well in my unheated garage over the winter). Never had a bug problem, except for the occasional spider. To be safe, I think the trick is to keep the wood off the floor and out of direct contact with any wood-frame part of the structure.

I plan to haul it to the back porch before using it so I don't think a little condensation would hurt it. I'm concerned about bugs because I live in Alabama (which explains why I don't need much wood either). I've already had carpenter ants in my shop because I stored the firewood too close to it, I don't want to repeat that mistake. The woods around my house and shop are full of termites and ants so I am concerned with both bringing them in or just giving them a place to nest if they should wander in on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.