X 27 Just Delivered; Can't Wait To Try It!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
After reading on this and the woodshed forum about how great the Fiskars X27 is; I took the plunge and bought on for $42.50 delivered. UPS guy just dropped it off. Poor guy had to park his truck at the bottom of our 450', 22% driveway, because of the snow falling, and walk up. He got about 1/4 of the way and left the package on a bale of straw that was there!

So as soon as the weather clears I'm gonna give the X27 a try on some red oak that was dropped off a couple of days ago.

One question before I do however. What height should the splitting/chopping block be for a guy 5'11"? I've always split with a sledge and wedges and I never worried about a block.

If you aren't used to using a chopping block, I'd make it a pretty short one,,,, 5-8 inches maybe??? Try it out and see how it feels. Then adjust from there.

If you aren't used to using a chopping block, I'd make it a pretty short one,,,, 5-8 inches maybe??? Try it out and see how it feels. Then adjust from there.
Would a block that short survive? I would think it would break on the grain from pounding, or get split from the axe going thru the piece you are trying to split. i would go at least 18-24 inches.

Where do you guys like the impact? I like to hit the wood when the axe head is about waist high or slightly lower.

I cut large rounds and just split them on the ground. Picking them up to put on a block is just another step and they are heavy.

X27's work better on large rounds if you start at the edge and work in squaring up the round.

It takes a little practice, but you need to gauge how hard you need to swing in order to not stick the edge in the ground. The Fiskars sharpener works good to and is cheap.

I use a tire screwed to a piece of plywood. Then I put the whole thing on top of cement blocks with another small piece of plywood in the middle of the tire to protect the edge of my fiskars. The tire stops the rounds from falling on the ground and having it stacked on blocks rather than screwed on to a large round makes it easier to move around the yard. I'm 6'2" so the height is perfect for me.

I cut large rounds and just split them on the ground. Picking them up to put on a block is just another step and they are heavy.

Yep, me too.

First year, I was nice to the x27 and split everything on a block. After I split for 5 mins w/out one, I got my first nick in the axe (about the size of an eraser). I took the grinder to it, and ground things way down to make it right...... several years later, I never use a block and have not gotten another nick in it.

pen

Would a block that short survive? I would think it would break on the grain from pounding, or get split from the axe going thru the piece you are trying to split. i would go at least 18-24 inches.

Where do you guys like the impact? I like to hit the wood when the axe head is about waist high or slightly lower.

I guess it depends on what it is cut from. I always have a pile of uglies (real twisted / knotty / tough) that I cut a block from. I have 2 around the house now. The one in the basement next to the stove is used for splitting kindling or the odd split in 1/2 when needed. I tacked a piece of rubber mat to the base as a bit of cushion for the floor. Its only 7 inches deep and has held up for years. Was a piece of locust stump that had 2 hearts in it.

I generally just use the shortest round out of the pile and split it when I'm done. I find that 18" is a bit too high bit is workable. Remember the longer the head of the axe has to travel the great your splitting power is gonna be

As we all know the Fiskar's is sharp. Like any ax the head should not get too far below your hands when swinging straight down. Pick a chopping block that makes that easy for you considering what you are splitting. Drop your hands and body as needed to assure the head and hands are at the same height (handle parallel to ground). That and legs apart and you will never stick the ax in your foot.

For especially tough rounds I drop my hands and body so the beard of the ax hits first rather the whole blade at once. This gives more power and greater penetration. The Fiskar's kicks butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.