• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hello.
I have a Xtrordinar 44 fireplace and am replacing all the gaskets due to poor seals.

I'm stuck trying to figure out how to run the gasket around the top of the glass. I used channel gasket for the portion where the glass slides into the channels, and I know it uses 1/2" rope gasket around the glass to hold everything together...but the top of the glass has no channel, nada. Instructions dont mention anything.

I have tape gasket which uses sealant, 1/2" rope gasket, a ton of channel gasket...

How do I get the gasket to stay around the top of the glass? This model does not have glass clips and screws to hold the glass in place. It replies on the gaskets alone to create the seal. Strange the instructions complete omit this. I'm thinking of using the flat gasket with sealant around the top. Thoughts?

Thanks.

IMG_8871.jpg IMG_8873.jpg IMG_8874.jpg IMG_8875.jpg IMG_8876.jpg IMG_8877.jpg

Based on the parts picture it appears that the glass is pre-gasketed.
The gasket itself appears to be custom and has an adhesive side. This site has installation instructions. Click on to enlarge.

RockyMountainStove_1449_2019.03.01__14920.1576082825.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MR. GLO
Based on the parts picture it appears that the glass is pre-gasketed.
The gasket itself appears to be custom and has an adhesive side. This site has installation instructions. Click on to enlarge.

View attachment 286531

Thank you so much, I never would have figured this out on my own. If you could help with one more thing seeing you obviously know what youre talking about.. the gasket in the red circle... Do you know what part that is? Is it a rope gasket? Apparently, I used the '302-B fiberglass tape for around glass' as the door gasket in the red circle by gluing it with gasket cement to the metal. Looks like thats not the right way to do it. Im having a darned time getting this cement to stick to any gasket. I wet the metal as instructed, but the stuff just flakes off after a few minutes. I dont understand how a rope gasket is supposed to stick to metal when the stuff dries flakey.

Beh. Thanks for your help!

1.png