Xtrordinaire: Installed with log lighter, but convert to gas (propane)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davecampdcc

Oct 7, 2019
Seattle
In 1995, I bought and had installed a Fireplace Xtrordinare Model 44A into my then new home. I selected the gas/propane log lighter to burn wood at that time. I am now interested in becoming that much 'cleaner' and would like to change this to a propane log set. The dealer I've been speaking with tells me I have to buy a new Xtrordinare DVL Deluxe rather than to convert my existing. This surprises me. My vague recollection is that I could have originally had a log set. Also, I still have the original catalog from 1995 which shows "Wood or N.G. Logs" in the 44A specifications. It also says "...if natural gas is available . . . you have the option of installing a gas log lighter or a gas logs". I've written to Travis Industries, but have not had a reply. 'anyone have any insight? thanks in advance.

If you are going through proper channels & plan to have a building inspector - the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) -
sign off on the new install & verify it conforms to code, take your manual to that office & ask their opinion. They have the final say.

Reactions: davecampdcc
If you are going through proper channels & plan to have a building inspector - the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) -
sign off on the new install & verify it conforms to code, take your manual to that office & ask their opinion. They have the final say.
I didn’t think of that...but that makes complete sense. Thank you!

Reactions: DAKSY