XXV in the UK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
highly recommend you thumb through your XXV owners manual....almost everything you'll ever need is in there. lots of pictures. don't file anything unless you find something that needs filing. you probably just have sawdust under the slide plate pushing it up into the feeder body. No stress. If/when you locate and pull the slide plate, make sure you put it back in correctly (ridge side up).

Reactions: Defiant
Thanks for that. We have cleaned this area out previously and it does seem to help for a few days. Seems a bit much to have to do it weekly...

What part of the slide plate usually needs filing?

Slide it in and out to see if it moves freely. The track it slides on might need scraping, Examine the plate edges if it sticks you might have a burr that could be filed off but I doubt it.

Slide it in and out to see if it moves freely. The track it slides on might need scraping, Examine the plate edges if it sticks you might have a burr that could be filed off but I doubt it.

Do you think it's debris from the Pellets causing the noise then? The pellets we are using came recommended by a local installer that generally install Italian extraflame appliances.

Should we be looking for harder pellets?

Do you think it's debris from the Pellets causing the noise then? The pellets we are using came recommended by a local installer that generally install Italian extraflame appliances.

Should we be looking for harder pellets?
I burn hardwood pellets when its cold and mixed hard/soft wood for shoulder burning. Most likely the stove has fines compressed on the slide track that a screw driver and wire brush could remedy. I beleive you stated earlier that your augur is direct drive, which means there is no short chain loop (like bicycle) is that correct?

Correct, Motor is mounted on the back of the auger.

Today i will:

1 Open feeder assembly and vacuum out fines and pellet particles.

2 Remove slider and file burrs if necessary. Harman have said filing the leading edge helps to cut through pellets that may be getting caught in the feeder.

Harman are saying these are normal operating noises, should we accept that?

Update: There was quite a build up of pellet peices in the feeder where the deflector plate used to be. The pellets are quite hard and there is very little dust, the peices were 1/4" to 1/2" mostly.

We removed the slider after the advice received here (thank you) and inspected it and the track. All looks good, no burrs or anything that looked as if it could cause problems, nothing in the track that might impede the movement of the slider plate. I had a bit of a fiddle moving the cam arm up and down moving the slider plate back and forth, i was able to duplicate the slam that it makes when a pellet got caught in front of the plate. It took a large amount of force from me to full cose the slider plate by way of cutting the pellet in two. The blunt leading edge is quite hard to push through the pellets if the plate is removed and done by hand on a hard surface.

We have been told that the XXV will burn some pretty poor quality pettet happily and are now wondering if we need to get a softer pellet to stop this slamming noise? We have filed the leading edge to make it sharper as Harman Tech advised so will see if this makes a difference.Theory being it will take less effort to cut the trapped pellet.

We have also reinserted the deflector plate after our findings. See image below.
Publication4.jpg

Howdy all,

Resurecting this thread as winter approaches and and the XXV is in use again we are having issues again. We are pretty sure its the slide plate getting caught then slamming shut making the noises, upon inspection we've always found the slide plate and the track it runs in to be pretty clean and clear of finings and buildup.

Other than this noise the stove is satisfactory, little mess and ample heat...

Status
Not open for further replies.