XXV in the UK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerio

Jun 7, 2012
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, my quest for first hand information on US pellet stoves has brought me here. The threads i've seen so far indicate a wealth of knowledge and experience so i hope you can help me.

We have a Harman XXV pellet stove installed which is making odd noises, sometimes a very sharp loud bang or shot, sometimes quieter duller thuds.

We are assuming that the dull thud noise is the odd pellet getting caught in the auger mechanism and being crushed, it happens once or twice a cycle and can be ignored with practice.

The loud sharp cracking sound is more of a concern. This is unmistakable but fortunately infrequent. My interpretation is that it is the meeting of two immovable objects or nearly immovable.

We are in the UK and Harman doesn't have a big presence here, the pellet/biomass industry is very much a work in progress. Our local distributor (in a neighbouring country) is not very knowledgable and is also new to the harman products so is no help for tech support. Harman tech support are helping but the time difference makes things difficult.

We have taken the pellet deflector out on harmans advice and also taken the auger out to look for damage or wear which we saw no evdience of.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheerio...

the most common culprit for the banging during feeding is the "slide plate". It is installed in the upper section of the "feeder body weldment". If something (usually sawdust) creates resistence in the movement of the slide plate, the pressure builds in the cam system that actuates the slide plate and when it builds up enough pressure, it slips, and the slide plate slams into the feeder body. You can access the feeder body cavity by removing the door on the left side of the feeder body weldment. good luck

...and welcome to Hearth.com!

I agree most of the time it is the feeder plate... does the noise happen WHen ever it feels like it or is there a pattern to it?

Thanks for the quick responses, it's a 2009 build date on the plate which is direct drive. The noise doesn't seem to have a regular pattern, pretty random and not every cycle.

It was only installed in feb this year so hasn't been burning for long. Is the feeder plate likely to be the cause after such a short time? Is there a solution to this problem?

I have seen the feeder plates do that on a brand new stove.....I took the plate out and filed down a edge on the new one cleared the problem right up.....But it could be dirty try cleaning the plate and fines box and go from there

Cheerio,
these guys have given you the same advice I would. If you could post up some photos of your install and the brand of pellets you use. I am curious to see the size and shape. My XXV is a 2011 and is extremely quiet, I feel it is the best FS Stove in the US.:cool:

Quads are made in china if i am not mistaken
you are partially mistaken.
IMAG0202.jpg

Reactions: Defiant
Our XXV and our pellets. These are to a european standard, not sure how that compares to US pellets. I would be interested in your thoughts. Not the most flattering angle for the stove...

Please can somebody explain how to remove the slide plate and what/where to file it?

Attachments

• IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 128
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 147
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 147
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 154
I will post a picture of the box from a 1200 I That says made in china then i will be correct again!!!;)

That stick was made in the usa lol, They started having em made in china cause it is cheaper. When they switched production we bought alot of 1200's for 500 dollars or so because they offered us a great deal. We still have some of those boxes that we have thrown in storage :(

Please can somebody explain how to remove the slide plate and what/where to file it?

Sorry about that, caught some of us while enjoying libation time. Pellets look to be loosley bound, (or not as tight) do you get much dust in the pellet bags? Follow link it will get you started
Harmon XXV fines box

Status
Not open for further replies.