XXV may have to go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if you think I insulted people here, you read in my post that I went to Ottawa to talk to a pro maybe because I dont believe you guys here, not so, I went there to buy all that I need to go all the way up above the roof line with the proper termination cap. Instead of just selling to me, he persuaded me to lower it and try it, I'm sure it will work today but when we get a nasty NE wind again I'm worried the problem may return, hence my reason for considering going all the way up.

Like I said, not enough coffee and knew I had to go deal with the snow ASAP as the temps are rising (for one day). I used "insult" incorrectly, and really meant disregarded (or seemed to disregard what the experience people here were trying to tell you). I most likely should have waited to post until after the exercise and pot of coffee so I could word it correctly, or not post it at all.

Of course you have every right to consult an expert. And I truly do hope that your issues are resolved.

We will wait.
Starting to sound like a online tech support for some big $$$ company.:) I am not going anywhere with the forecaster being wrong and temp fell to -20

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
How many screws/nut to yank the igniter out of there?

Isn't it the same design as your P61A? You should have been doing similar basic cleaning on that stove on a routine basis long before now.

Isn't it the same design as your P61A? You should have been doing similar basic cleaning on that stove on a routine basis long before now.

I believe that he has been so distracted with the installation that some things have either fallen by the wayside or the continual fiddling has led to stuff getting where it should not.

Here is the igniter, clean , so great timing to flunk on me.

Attachments

• igniter2.jpg
    igniter2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 125
That will work a bit better hopefully:)
Had a big poster hanging in the shop office, Its hard to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp when your up to your a&* in alligators.

So are you going to have to maually start it??

Stuff happens, been there done that many a time.

That is why when draining swamps you have the folks with the rifles around the shore.

ETA: Going for some ammunition (food) be back in a bit.

No I did not clean it, it was clean. That is why I said great timing to flunk. I'm restating again, will let it do the 36 min and wait for the blink.

Another bump. Keep at it..

5 blinks, failure to start. Wonder if the dealer would take it back and I take a P43? What sucks in this scenario is the exhaust position, 8 5/8 to centre. Does anyone know of another stove that would fit? Yes call me crazy, but if I make a move the venting will be all the way to the top, I just want something that just chugs along like my P61A, period.

Did it at least char a pellet this time?

The igniter isn't doing its thing if that stove is under warranty make them replace the igniter.

Meanwhile do a manual start. If you persist in a serial manner spring will have sprung complete with flowers. I got shanghaied at lunch didn't realize it entailed a shopping expedition.

- Burn pot holes clear for ignitor heat to pass through?
- After "Test" mode for draft check, returned Feed Adjuster dial to about 4?
- Assume T-Stat is wired to the temperature sensor and in series(?). How did you "bypass" it?
- If the stove started and burned before, what has changed other than venting?
- Brief summary of how you're starting the stove with switch and dial settings.

- Burn pot holes clear for ignitor heat to pass through? Check
- After "Test" mode for draft check, returned Feed Adjuster dial to about 4? Check
- Assume T-Stat is wired to the temperature sensor and in series(?). How did you "bypass" it? By removing the T-Stat from the loop
- If the stove started and burned before, what has changed other than venting? Nothing
- Brief summary of how you're starting the stove with switch and dial settings. Room temp 75%, Feed 4, Auto Ignition, Temp dial is at 85 to allow the T-Stat to do it's thing.

If it were me I would try to start the stove manually with starter gel or a torch and see if it could maintain and control the burn with its own room temp control (keep the T-Stat out of the loop until you know everything is working properly). If it can do that, it then should only be a matter of resolving why the ignitor fails to heat the pellets adequately for ignition.

I don't have an OAK and I perhaps wonder if the cold air coming in through yours may tend to cool down the heat from the ignitor, thus not building up adequate heat to allow a normal start. Can't say I've ever read of this sort of problem and maybe it isn't a problem, but maybe temporarily disconnecting the OAK might be worth a try.

I've had my XXV since 2011 and it's been a good stove. I think if you get yours up and running the way it should you'll be as happy as you are with the P61.

If it were me I would try to start the stove manually with starter gel or a torch and see if it could maintain and control the burn with its own room temp control (keep the T-Stat out of the loop until you know everything is working properly). If it can do that, it then should only be a matter of resolving why the ignitor fails to heat the pellets adequately for ignition.

I don't have an OAK and I perhaps wonder if the cold air coming in through yours may tend to cool down the heat from the ignitor, thus not building up adequate heat to allow a normal start. Can't say I've ever read of this sort of problem and maybe it isn't a problem, but maybe temporarily disconnecting the OAK might be worth a try.

I've had my XXV since 2011 and it's been a good stove. I think if you get yours up and running the way it should you'll be as happy as you are with the P61.

For discussion sake I'll throw in a concern raised in my quest. The discussion of OAK for one of the stoves we're looking at, the dealer said that up here, just a bit south of canuck_22, it's so cold that using the OAK in an older home doesn't make sense. It has to heat the air up so much, thus wasting BTU's. With the temps we've had here lately, week after week of below zero, I would think that it might affect an ignitor. I would also wonder if the ignitor has a good ground contact? Much like the starter circuit on the diesel tractor or on a battery terminal? Just a thought.

I had just signed on to ask this somewhere else, but maybe this is a good place to chime in. I don't want to hijack canuck_22's problem solving though. Feel free to disregard this.

For discussion sake I'll throw in a concern raised in my quest. The discussion of OAK for one of the stoves we're looking at, the dealer said that up here, just a bit south of canuck_22, it's so cold that using the OAK in an older home doesn't make sense. It has to heat the air up so much, thus wasting BTU's. With the temps we've had here lately, week after week of below zero, I would think that it might affect an ignitor. I would also wonder if the ignitor has a good ground contact? Much like the starter circuit on the diesel tractor or on a battery terminal? Just a thought.

I had just signed on to ask this somewhere else, but maybe this is a good place to chime in. I don't want to hijack canuck_22's problem solving though. Feel free to disregard this.
If your 1852 farm house is as leaky as my 1800's farm house, plenty of fresh outside air manages to find its way in. Probably the same air spaces that the mice enter through.

Reactions: Ambient
If your 1852 farm house is as leaky as my 1800's farm house, plenty of fresh outside air manages to find its way in. Probably the same air spaces that the mice enter through.

Although we stripped this place to its frame the way the wife could help was arming her with a caulk gun and a foam gun to seal every board and crack she could reach, inside and out, The method to the madness was if it was drafty later on, it was in the hands of who ever sealed up the place? ;lol

Every year I try to seal up more drafts that I find, sadly I do find more, darn mice.

Please guys he has an OAK on his other stove and a HRV system don't go fouling up the thread.

Thank You!

This home does not allow running without an oak, Harman highly recommends an OAK, if they have not figured out that it could problematic in some instances that's their problem. I bought an Harman for a reason, my install is simple, the inspector commended me on my work. At this very moment I'm pulling the stove away from the wall to have a look at things and I'll report back shortly on what I've done all day.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.