xxv review cleaning/squeeking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
Hey all, I did sweep my chimney, and in the next couple of weeks I want to move my stove away from the wall
and do a thorough cleaning. I figured I would ask a couple of questions before I start.

1. last year after about a ton and a half I also heard the squeek of what I beleive is the tray feeding pellets. I can not find the thread which talked about the tray actaully moves from its center and to use some sort of clamp to keep it from moving front to back.

2. the ignitor, anyone have good pics up close, and can it be moved towards the burn pot a little for quicker ignition? My average light time was about 6 minutes (not horrible but curious as to if if can be better).

3. any tips on the cleaning? I have read to be careful of the fans (don't bend blades) etc. My plan is to take the back panels off and get anything i can clean. I also have the top pipe kit with the pipe in pipe coming off the stove about 2ft, bet there is alot of ash down there. Thanks, looking forward to another year!

Make sure u scrape the burn bot where the auger rotates...Klinkers or creosote builds up and it squeaks there on rotation. Not sure on the tray issue,I have a p68 that does it as well as many other harmans

Jim- no easy way to move the ignitor, 6 minutes is about average, just make sure you don't have ash built up in the ignitor.
As bignbeefy says, scrape the junction between where the auger mouth and the burnpot mount, theres usually a chunk of klinker there making the sqeeky noise. Make sure to be careful of the ESP probe, slide it out before sticking a brush throught he machine, and then wipe it off with a wet paper towel. Have yourself some fun.

If six minutes to ignite is average on a Harman XXV, what about the pellets that keep getting fed into the burn pot and pushed out? I don't mind wasting a few pellets but the number of pellets pushed out before ignition seems too much. And doesn't that mean they are not over the igniter long enough to start burning? Should I turn down the Feed Adjustment from 4 to a lower number to slow down the pellets and then turn it back up?

Once the stove starts burning, it starts and stops without any problem depending on room temperature. It works great. Every pellet that gets fed in burns OK.

Stentor- see my PM, but I'd suggest reducing power to combustion blower via mini "pot" on control board, not reducing feed rate to speed up ignition.

squeaking augers are not uncommon in the underfeed system, 99% of time it is from carbon buildup at the end of the auger / shaft... sometimes the carbon is glazed in pretty well, and looks like part of the burnpot.

newf lover said:
Here's that thread I think you were talking about. A lot of good suggestions.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30045/

THanks, that was exactly it! I even was part of the thread but still couldn't pull it out using the search! I figured
a thorough cleaning is instore before cooler temps. So while it is away from the wall why not make sure I get no squeeks
this year. THanks again......

Status
Not open for further replies.