Yellow pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am in no hurry to burn this tree i have a 2+ year supply of wood already laid up CSS and covered and close to another years worth of EAB killed ash already sawed into stove lengths and stacked in the round. So I plan to give this pine at least a minimum of 1 year CSS before burning. I really enjoy the smell of pine smoke. Thats the main thing I want it for. That and for easy kindling and shoulder wood. I'm glad to here that the yellow variety is slower burning, I had a cord or 2 of white and it seemed to have slightly more BTUs than cardboard and burned just as fast.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: StudlyHogly
It’s also a sponge. My top cover was torn and blown off a stack when that nor’easter came through two weeks ago. Yellow pine that was sub 20%mc is now 30-40 or higher. The poplar and the other wood is still less than 20. Bark up helped a little bits its wet too.

It’s also a sponge. My top cover was torn and blown off a stack when that nor’easter came through two weeks ago. Yellow pine that was sub 20%mc is now 30-40 or higher. The poplar and the other wood is still less than 20. Bark up helped a little bits its wet too.
I'm planning on moving the pine to the garage next fall before things get damp.

My advise is pay attention to the first load you burn. If cut alive it will usually retain the sappy oils that it contains. I have some from my neighbors yard that burn very volatile with black smoke, it makes extreme heat. I will only burn it outside now. Yours may be different, as I have had fine yellow before as well.

Just a heads up!
1 dead and 2 living yellow pines....

Attachments

• 1620.jpg
    1620.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: Microduck17
My advise is pay attention to the first load you burn. If cut alive it will usually retain the sappy oils that it contains. I have some from my neighbors yard that burn very volatile with black smoke, it makes extreme heat. I will only burn it outside now. Yours may be different, as I have had fine yellow before as well.

Just a heads up!
1 dead and 2 living yellow pines....
I scored a few big pines they were different from this tree (white maybe?) a few years ago after a storm, they were still very alive when I cut them up and even after mret than a year of being CSS they burned that way, but i burnt it in the old coal stove in the garage with the well casing pipe smoke stack. It did seem to smoke a lot even when buring well with full open air control. It made tons of heat but burnt fast. I like using pine and other soft woods to establish a good draft and get things hot so before loading a large load of slower burning hardwood and turning the air down. Just thought it was the stove didnt like the pine but what you said about the oils makes perfect sense.

A load of dry but sappy pine on hot coals makes for happy secondaries. I Close the primary air all the way and let it rip. Some times when I wake up I get this really fluffy black hart “ash” if you call it that.

If the coal bed isn’t that hot I can smell it a bit but I only see smoke for a few minutes on a reload. A458D068-6C88-4AFD-9B3B-3AEEF692AA8E.jpeg3DA28CCF-5ACF-4316-8D7C-CA3EA1E3644A.jpeg

A load of dry but sappy pine on hot coals makes for happy secondaries. I Close the primary air all the way and let it rip. Some times when I wake up I get this really fluffy black hart “ash” if you call it that.

If the coal bed isn’t that hot I can smell it a bit but I only see smoke for a few minutes on a reload. View attachment 253005View attachment 253006

Since we burn almost exclusively spruce, fir, and Tamarack I see stuff like that frequently. That black stuff shouldn't smoke much at all since it is mostly cellulose, like homemade charcoal. Sometimes my cooker leaves unburned remnants and those make the flue quick to heat in the morning.

I meant to say hairy “ash”. That’s what’s in the pictures.

Reactions: Microduck17