Yep, it's offical

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I'm a wood snob! :lol: I had two dead/dying poplars cut down over the winter. I had them dropped, I cut the limbs and cut them to length. I've been looking at them thinking I don't want to deal with splitting and stacking this wood. A guy at work is talking about installing a stove so I asked him if he wanted it. Thankfully he said yes so he stopped by Friday after work and we loaded up his trailer.

I had 6 of these and have burned some of the wood from the first 4 I cut but I can't stand all the ash it makes so I try to avoid burning it. I wasn't going to spend time processing it when I could be doing better things with my time.

Look at it like this, not a wood snob at all, just helping a future wood burner out.

work smarter, not harder.
If you can get better wood elsewhere you are absolutely right. It's not worth it to waste your time with poplar.
Just make sure you are not too much of a snob.
I try not to be snobby until I am 1 or 2 years ahead.

You ole snob rdust! Well, I'd probably have done the same thing. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
You ole snob rdust! Well, I'd probably have done the same thing. lol

Next weekend is the little mans 2nd birthday and I figured getting rid of the wood would help my yard clean up! I spent yesterday burning all the branches from those two trees so that area is cleaned up now.

-PB- said:
work smarter, not harder.
If you can get better wood elsewhere you are absolutely right. It's not worth it to waste your time with poplar.
Just make sure you are not too much of a snob.
I try not to be snobby until I am 1 or 2 years ahead.

I have around 3 years worth so I'm getting more picky as I go.

jimosufan said:
Look at it like this, not a wood snob at all, just helping a future wood burner out.

That's really what it boils down to, I try to help out when I can.

rdust said:
I'm a wood snob! :lol: I had two dead/dying poplars cut down over the winter. I had them dropped, I cut the limbs and cut them to length. I've been looking at them thinking I don't want to deal with splitting and stacking this wood. A guy at work is talking about installing a stove so I asked him if he wanted it. Thankfully he said yes so he stopped by Friday after work and we loaded up his trailer.

I had 6 of these and have burned some of the wood from the first 4 I cut but I can't stand all the ash it makes so I try to avoid burning it. I wasn't going to spend time processing it when I could be doing better things with my time.

rdust, I had some popple down which I c/s/s for this coming years shoulder season so my question is what was your longest burn time?

Zap

zapny said:
rdust, I had some popple down which I c/s/s for this coming years shoulder season so my question is what was your longest burn time?

Zap

Honestly I can't even tell you! I've only ever burned it when I wanted a fast fire so just a few splits at a time. No idea what it would do with a full load.

I am the same way rdust! If someone offered to dump a load of unsplit white pine here I'd refuse it.. Maybe if it were cut and split I'd take it otherwise no.. So much better wood in this area I can afford to be choosy (snobby lol)..

Ray

I would still burn it . . . even with plenty of better wood in my stacks . . . even with access to the family wood lot . . . and even though it is not a high grade BTU wood . . . my own feeling is that even the lowly poplar burns great in the shoulder seasons . . . in fact I should be burning some later tonight.

The stuff I mistakingly processed is destined for the campfire/patio only.

rdust said:
zapny said:

Zap

Honestly I can't even tell you! I've only ever burned it when I wanted a fast fire so just a few splits at a time. No idea what it would do with a full load.

Thanks for your reply. The popple was down and in this area that I never worked until last summer so the trail clearing began, it will save on burning some of our Cherry plus we have the room so about the only two types of tree that are down that we have not burned yet are basswood and pine.

Zap

With limited room on my property I have to be a bit choosy (snobby) too, but for different reasons. The main prerequisite quality of the firewood I choose to keep is moisture content. I simply don't have the room to hang on to much volume of wood for years while it sits and seasoned, so I tend to reject most sources of wood that are not already seasoned, or seasoned enough that they won't be ready in one summer of drying.. We don't have a lot of native hardwood out West here, although in my particular area we have a lot of old apple orchards that people are ripping out and replacing with vineyards or new varieties of vine/tree fruit. So there is a lot apple wood available and of course apple wood is great burning wood, but for me it's not worth the hassle. It takes a long time to process apple trees, and you end up with lots of small crooked pieces that don't stack well, and you have to store them for at least a year, maybe more before they are properly burnable. Too much hassle,,,, I'll stick with my little bit lower BTU rated wood that's super easy to process and stack, and best of all is ready to burn right away, so I only have to process and store what I need for the coming winter.
I would be rejecting cottonwood/poplar wood too, first of all, with my sources it's either totally wet or it's rotten, the wet stuff needs to be seasoned just like most other sources of wood, and again I don't have the room for that. Also, as the Rdust mentioned, it produces way too much ash, for not very much heat.

So even though I burn mainly pine (Lodgepole), I'm still a wood snob too. :)

rdust, it is hard to believe that little guy is already 2 years old!!! They grow so fast....be sure you enjoy all the time with him you have. It is hard to believe your little one is 2 and it is even harder to believe my youngest son is 46... My God how time flies.

Backwoods Savage said:
rdust, it is hard to believe that little guy is already 2 years old!!! They grow so fast....be sure you enjoy all the time with him you have. It is hard to believe your little one is 2 and it is even harder to believe my youngest son is 46... My God how time flies.

I hear you, he's an amazing little man! Everyone told me to pay attention since time flies, they sure didn't lie. 2 years has happened in a flash!

Status
Not open for further replies.