Yet another hearth pad question . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpmusicny

May 6, 2016
Woodstock NY
Hello all -

First post here after much lurking and learning . . I’m finishing up construction of a hearthpad of R > 2 for an Englander 13 NCH. Two layers of Micor 300 (In response to those old posts about where to get it, BTW, Menards will now drop-ship a pack of 4 4 x 2 sheets anywhere in the US ) + a layer of Durock NextGen for added strength, and then 4/10” black slate tile on top.

My question - inbetween the slate and the Durock i wanted to add a layer of aluminum flashing for heat dissipation. Only trouble is, i tried using thinset to attach the aluminum to the Durock, but it peeled right off, after 6 hours drying. I can’t just screw it down, because then, in effect, the tile will only be attached to the lower layers by screws, and anyway, I doubt that the thinset will stick to slate any better than to Durock. It seems to me most regular glues are flammable, so that's no good.

Any ideas? thanks!

Malcolm

Last edited:
There's no need at all for the aluminum layer. If it's used it should go under or in between the micore layers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That'll be fine.

I built r 2.2 for under my old stove. I was going to put a layer of sheet metal in, but it seemed more important to mininize metal to metal contact so as to not conduct heat through the pad.

I left the metal sheet out.

Status
Not open for further replies.