Yet another which insert to get thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
My local dealer has Yotul, Buck, and Dutchwest inserts. I'd prefer to get one from him, because it will be a lot less hassle than trying to arrange delivery and installation (i.e., one stop shopping).

He has a Jotul C 450 in stock, and I like it. I think the Buck he has is a model 18. It's OK, but it doesn't look as nice. The Dutchwest insert is too small.

Here's our room:

th_LR.jpg

Here's a rough floorplan:

th_house.jpg

Both are clickable thumbnails.

I think he's asking $2300 for the stove & surround and the install would be about $2500 for a total of right around $5k (which includes all the parts and fully lining the flue). As far as I can tell seems reasonable. I'm guessing on the high side of reasonable.

Does the C450 seem like a reasonable insert for our house? As shown on the plan, the chimney is fully outside the house. It's on the low side of the roof, so maybe 10 feet from the lintel to the top. The house has 1600 SF on the main floor (what we want to heat) over a partly finished basement. We both work, so we'd burn wood nights and weekends. I have at least two cords of wood, including some bone dry red oak, and we had a freestanding stove at our old house.

Each of the last two years we've had about 3,000 heating degree days (65F base). Last January the coldest it got was 19F; the average low temp was 32F.

OK I'll bite. The 450 looks like a good insert for that setup. Looks like your house doesnt move heat too well, so blown hot air would be ok there.

Can you give some more details on the install? Seems awfully high unless there is some repair work involved. My install was around $1400, including a 25' flex liner, block off plate at top and bottom. About 700 labor, 700 materials if i remember. Even that seemed high to me on the labor side, but about right on materials. Even still, i didnt have lug a 500 lb stove around.

Ahhhh Average Temp 32 degrees - I'd be out in my shorts!!!! :)

The Jotul stoves are nice. I've got the C550, and it really kicks up the heat..... In addition, that stove will look great in that room. That price sounds about right too because I think I paid that 3 years ago for my C550, and I'm sure they went up in the past couple of years. As far as the liner, I think I may have paid that. Just make sure its heavy duty since you're paying that much just make sure its a first rate liner.

Good luck though, I'm sure you'll enjoy!!

J

I think you will be very happy with the C450, I know we are. I would suggest maybe considering installing the stove yourself as it is really not too difficult. Be sure to install a block off plate in the damper area for best performance. There is a link in my signature of my installation. My stove will pretty much heat our ranch house even though it is in the basement rec room. Good luck and be safe, Jim

Had my stove installed in April of 2010. Spent $4300 for stove, liner, and installation. At the time there was not much difference in the price between the 450 and 550. After discounts were figured in, the difference was less than $100. I opted for the bigger stove. You may want to check out the 550. Good luck.

EJL923 said:
Can you give some more details on the install?

He was just guessing on the cost without seeing it. I'm not aware of any special difficulties -- just 10 to 12 feet up and block off plates.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I could handle installing it myself, it's just a question of time -- way too many other things I need to do. I'll look into that 550. I guess he sold the 450 anyway. My wife went to look yesterday and there were no Jotul inserts in the store, but she liked the Buck. It's an 81, not an 18. The fireplace is about 30" high, so it can fit most of them.

As far as the lows of 32F, I realize that isn't nearly as cold as most of y'all deal with, but there are two factors at play. Factor one is that our house isnt' insulated very well, and being brick, there's not much we can do about that. Factor two is that down here we have thinner blood. For us, 32F feels really cold. ;-)

At 1,600 sq. ft. you're looking at a medium sized insert. The Kennebec is a nice unit, but remember it is cast iron which takes a little longer to heat up vs. a steel unit as you'll want heat quicker being a part-time burner. What is the sq. footage of the stove room? Before you think I'm nuts, is it possible to create an entrance way from your stove room to your living room to help with heat distribution? If this isn't an option, and because of your closed layout, I would carefully size your insert for the stove room. You'll want to be comfortable in there, not driven out by the stove.

The C450 is a steel stove at heart, same as the Declaration. The only cast iron on it is the door and surround.

Stax said:
Before you think I'm nuts, is it possible to create an entrance way from your stove room to your living room to help with heat distribution?

It would be technically possible to create an opening between the studs by just cutting a hole and trimming it out. With a little more work we could make a bigger hole by putting a header to carry the load (the wall holds up the roof). I don't think my wife would go for it though.

I'm thinking the room where the insert will go is about 15 x 25, or about 375 SF. That's a combination of the family room and the kitchen. It's open at ceiling height on one end, and it's open below the cabinets (where I drew the dotted line). The entrance to the house is there too, and there are a lot of big windows. It's a somewhat smaller space than we had in the old house, but it's not as well insulated, so I think overall it's going to work out better. But it's probably going to use more wood too.

We don't use the living room, so there's not much point to heating it, aside from removing heat from the family room. I could put a fan on the floor in the hallway near the livingroom to blow cooler air towards the family room, which should push warmer air into the dining room and so forth (around in a circle).

Gotcha BG...saw the cast surround and just implied that it was cast (steping back in line). Pyper...I was just referring to like an entrance way or something like that. But hey, if it's too much work and you guys don't use it...like you said...why heat it. The other details sound good. Go for it man.

dude, looks prime for a total "man cave", send pics when you finally figure it out.

He was just guessing on the cost without seeing it. I'm not aware of any special difficulties -- just 10 to 12 feet up and block off plates.

As far as the lows of 32F, I realize that isn't nearly as cold as most of y'all deal with, but there are two factors at play. Factor one is that our house isnt' insulated very well, and being brick, there's not much we can do about that. Factor two is that down here we have thinner blood. For us, 32F feels really cold. ;-)

I would recheck the length of your chimney and think about an extension. 10 to 12 feet sounds pretty short especially when it is not getting that cold in your area; you may have draft problems. The cost for the install sounds too high. I would go back and ask for a detailed quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.