Yikes... 1035F on outside of stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If everybody knew how many times their stove went to a thousand after they went to bed this would be a heart attack ward.

Hope the stoves not messed up to bad joful.
Me too!

Got guests tomorrow, so autopsy will probably have to wait Sunday.

"Guests" are in-laws, so I'll be outside splitting all day, where I can't be easily located. ;lol

If everybody knew how many times their stove went to a thousand after they went to bed this would be a heart attack ward.

If this rock hits a grand I definitely don't want to know about it,

Good grief. For 22 years I started backing my old steel insert back down when the Rutland thermo pegged at a grand. Told Mike at ESW about the 1,000 runaway with the 30 and he said "BB, it ain't gonna split down the middle."

These things are the reason for the UL clearance to combustibles things. Stove will live but, the couch needs to too.

You would not believe how hot they fire these things in the UL tests. You would have to stand there and stoke it like a train boiler to match it.

Reactions: Knots
Soapstone starts to transform at 2,100 degrees Fahrenheit and increases in hardness. And probably busts all over your living room floor. Covering the melted cast iron that was holding it together.

I am going with air leak, but no beer for me since it was already guessed.

Soapstone starts to transform at 2,100 degrees Fahrenheit and increases in hardness. And probably busts all over your living room floor. Covering the melted cast iron that was holding it together.
Just stop it, you are starting to scare me. Can't imagine my 25 year old baby ending up that way ...
IMG_0453.jpg

I'm guessing combustion box failure, due to steel cat warpage. Or possibly cat gasket issues.

Reactions: Ashful
I am going with air leak, but no beer for me since it was already guessed.
Well "air leak" is not a qualifying answer, anyway. Of course air was getting in... ain't gonna hit 1kF without it! You have to name the source of the air leak to qualify.

Might be taking it apart soon. Guests are late.

I'm guessing combustion box failure, due to steel cat warpage. Or possibly cat gasket issues.
You've been paying attention. This is what I'm betting on.

The track record shows that as long as I haven't left the air wide open, I have little cause for concern. Sweet dreams! >>
Meeco marker.JPG

I love your max temperature pointer Woody. Creativity at its best.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I love your max temperature pointer Woody. Creativity at its best.
I'm not that smart; I merely stand on the shoulders of giants here at hearth.com. >>

Reactions: Cynnergy

My chimney probe has been there.. and higher "a few times".. but the stove top has not gotten but a bit above 700 once I know of.. it was some screaming kind of heat coming off the thing that is for sure.. I can't imagine another 300 degrees.. I agree, the fireplace instal has to be a confidence builder. One thing I like about what I built. I see members talk all the time about +750F temps.. our house would be 100F. She would be happy.

Speaking of when would the stone melt.. My dad tells a funny story of back when he and my mom owned a ceramics shop, and they had a very large kiln runaway. this kiln was big enough to stand in. My dad called me and said "hey, learned a new skill today" me "really, what?", him "I made lava"... LOL.. literally melted ceramic into a puddle in the bottom of the kiln. He guesses they cruised at 3000F before it shut down... was 2 1/2 days before they could check the damage. I have pictures somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyman
Do note, my stovetop temp was holding 450F, while the cat was going nuclear, at 2000+ F. I believe this rules out things like door gasket leaks.

Preliminary pics, showing cat completely disintegrated:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422721751.962949.jpg

Reactions: brant2000
A few years ago we had a serious windstorm which resulted in a draft-induced overfire in our Firelight 12. Ours is green enamel and not only was the stove glowing at the chamber behind the cat, it also bubbled the porcelain on both sides of the chamber. After that, we installed an inline draft damper which we use whenever we have high winds.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.