Yikes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Feb 28, 2008
Eastern Connecticut
So after burning for the end of last year and this years early part of the season, I wanted to put some wood in the stove and get the place nice and warm tonight. Had a nice bed of coals from a soft burn this afternoon and put some splits of oak in the Jotul Winterport (2 bigger size, 1 medium size, 1 filler log to fill her up). Left the air intake open, got a nice charred outside part of the wood, stepped down the air intake and then 5 minutes later, pulled it all the way closed and thought I was off to bed. Went and cuddled (alright, I have lost my man card, but I do have a wood insert - give me a break) for about 10 minutes, came out to see how the fire was and the secondaries were burning like never before. Took a look at the stove thermometer and I am guessing over 800 maybe 900 - it was too high for me to be able to read in the thin slot I have where I put the Rutland gauge. Never in my limited time burning (4 mths or so) have I seen it this high, and I shut down the air all the way and a little early.

Do I need to be worried about this? It has since cooled back down to the 700 hundreds, about the highest it has ever been before tonight, but goodness, it shot up like crazy tonight. Guess the wood is dry and this season is going to be a hot one in this house. Anyways, I was so proud of the secondaries when I saw the box upon coming out into the living room, decided to look at the thermometer and nearly crapped myself wondering what to do. I waited it out and crossed my fingers, but why do you think it went so high. No gasket issues, never had happened before and have been burning with the same wood since I put it in and have burning this season now for about 3 weeks or so. Should I look around the Jotul to make sure it is ok after going so high, if so, where to look first?

Thanks for any advice. Again, so proud of the secondaries tonight. Usually got them going fine, so far every burn has been perfect, tonight was too perfect. Good grief.

Strange things sometimes happen with stoves. Was it windy last night? Wind can increase the draft in the fireplace.

I guess, next time add wood a bit slower.

Matt

And do not leave the stove until it is time to adjust the draft down.

I'd also check all the seams in the stove before lighting another fire. And the next fire should not have quite so much wood in it. Holy cow, wait until winter to load up the stove!

author="bears12th" date="1225789415"] Went and cuddled (alright, I have lost my man card, but I do have a wood insert - give me a break)

...walkin' a fine line there mister >:-(

Since you are sure your gaskets are good...are there any possible other joint leaks?. Like said above, was it windy out?. And it's not possible the wood you threw in was somehow more seasoned or left over from last year?. Hmmmmm.

Was it cold outside?

You know what they say;
When the frost is on the pumpkin,
wait for it,
Your draft is better. :)

Hi Bears,

Where have you placed the thermometer? Did you have the fan running (personally I'd leave it on auto)? I've got an insert and two year seasoned oak. When I fill it up over a hot coalbed I also get a big temperature spike when I close the primary. Sometimes up to 800F off the flue collar and the glass. It lasts up to half an hour before returning to around 600. To me it seems normal now. Also stove thermometers are not too accurate and can over read by 150 degrees.

A small chimney fire could have supercharged your draft.

Backwoods Savage said:
And do not leave the stove until it is time to adjust the draft down.

Holy cow, wait until winter to load up the stove!

Its been like winter around here in Ct lately!30s and 40s during thje day and 20s at night.OOPS!! didnt notice the date!It wasnt like winter then.

If I load up on a nice bed of coals without letting the stove top temp drop down under 300 degrees, I can have this happen.

I just have to make sure I don't get impatient and reload too early.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.