Yippee! Getting ready for first burns for our KQ 380 and Jotul F55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was a guy out of the Cadillac area named Howard. He is on Craigslist for northern MI. Offers mixed hardwood (a mix of maple, ash, and birch). Here's a link to one of his posts: https://nmi.craigslist.org/for/d/firewood-large-4x4x8-foot-cord/6339902479.html He will definitely deliver down here, unless he's recently changed his mind. Probably not though...he likes to hustle to make a buck.

Pros of this guy...he gets you the wood ASAP (I think he delivered it within 3 or so days of when we ordered). He can get his double trailer semi in ANYWHERE (seriously, the end of our driveway is tough for anyone and he just slipped it right down the drive...no issues). He will stack the wood however you'd like it stacked to process. I personally liked having 2 logs run north-south on the end to keep the logs off the ground, then piled on top of there; I'd ask for 2 rows that are NOT touching each other. When the rows are in contact, the logs are more susceptible to movement across the two piles (and they get hung up on each other, too, which is a pain). Plan for about a 25-30' long stacks of logs that are just about 7-8 feet tall in the center. He will bring you exactly the diameter logs you want (we requested no more than 14" logs max, and 8-12" preferred; we only had maybe 10 or so logs total that were at or around 14" logs. 12" is big enough to move around by hand really).

Cons--he proselytizes constantly the entire time he's at your house. I mean constantly. Half of the logs were drug out of the woods, so they have a fair amount of dirt caked on them (we used a stiff bristle brush to clean them off when we did the 6 cords by hand, since we weren't on a time crunch). The maple and birch he brings is green. The ash is deadstanding. So, plan on waiting for the maple and birch to be ready. Tell him exactly the percentages of what species you want. I think he might have some oak typically, but not at the end of the season when we bought wood.

Now all that said, the guy we worked with for the firewood processor recommended a company in Harrison that offers very clean, all oak cordwood. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooks-Forest-Products/167370339942956 This company used to offer to drive down our way, so it might be worth a call. We have strongly considered trying to split a load with someone locally so we can up our oak on hand (and maybe sell off some of the maple we have).
Thanks for all info. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Rusnakes