You never know...Snakes Alive!!!!...or dead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adios Pantalones said:
We're supposed to have timber rattlers in New England, but I hear they're all in one place. Glad they're still around, and glad I don't run across them.

I know one place that one was this afternoon...

I had finished up splitting the pine I got last weekend and the little bit of white oak I had left in rounds. I'd *slightly* straigtened up around the wood stacks and was putting the rakes in the garage. Mind you, our garage is kinda cluttered....really!, no kiddin'!!! Anyhow, I sat the rakes against the wall and something made me look down to the baseboard beside the yard tools. There it lay, thinking I hadn't seen it. Well, the closest thing I had was a flat scoop and I knew I had one shot at it or it would disappear into the clutter of the garage...where the wife washes clothes. :grrr:

I took careful aim and nailed him across the back. But, he was mad and definitely still alive. I couldn't let him go so I kept him pinned donw till I could get my hands on the trusty, rusty BUSH-HOOK!!!! (I like snakes, but...too bad if you're a really big snake lover)

Anyhow, after a few tense moments I managed to retrieve it from the clutter. It was small, around 2' long. Just a couple of rattlers. Timber rattler. Nice way to end the day.

My wife really didn't like it when I told her about the cool green snake that was in the "gap" between our house and her mother's trailer...she really ain't gonna like this...but, I gotta tell her so she'll be on the look out. I guess the dry weather is getting every thing moving and looking for food and water.

Summary: Timber Rattler + My Garage = DEAD SNAKE

Yours truly,
Ed

PS... This snake had a big stink to it, too!!!!

FW-_20110611_1271Medium.jpg

FW-_20110611_1261Medium.jpg

smokinjay said:
iskiatomic said:
Three things that scare me,

1 Snakes, of any kind.

2 FAT chicks, I mean FAT.

3 Running out of beer.

KC

+1 ;-)

:lol: +100 Right on.

I've been up on upper deck 35 floors + during high-rise office tower construction,high bridges,parking ramps,atriums connecting 2 buildings etc,up 70-80ft in a tree,over 150 ft up on scaffolding,underground 50-60 ft in tunnels underneath buildings,along a river & under streets - None of that bothers me,if I've been away from it for a while,it sometimes takes me a few hrs or so to get acclimated again,then I'm fine.

Spiders,ticks etc I brush them off,more annoyance than anything.But snakes are my one true phobia.

If I see one in the woods,its dead,even a little bastard lol.Dont even visit the reptile exhibit at zoos if I know what part they're in first.Alligators & Crocs are cool though,always like checking them out.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
iskiatomic said:
Three things that scare me,

1 Snakes, of any kind.

2 FAT chicks, I mean FAT.

3 Running out of beer.

KC

+1 ;-)

:lol: +100 Right on.

I've been up on upper deck 35 floors + during high-rise office tower construction,high bridges,parking ramps,atriums connecting 2 buildings etc,up 70-80ft in a tree,over 150 ft up on scaffolding,underground 50-60 ft in tunnels underneath buildings,along a river & under streets - None of that bothers me,if I've been away from it for a while,it sometimes takes me a few hrs or so to get acclimated again,then I'm fine.

Spiders,ticks etc I brush them off,more annoyance than anything.But snakes are my one true phobia.

If I see one in the woods,its dead,even a little bastard lol.Dont even visit the reptile exhibit at zoos if I know what part they're in first.Alligators & Crocs are cool though,always like checking them out.
Samd here. i dont even like to see a dead one. just nasty and freaky looking

Adios Pantalones said:
We're supposed to have timber rattlers in New England, but I hear they're all in one place. Glad they're still around, and glad I don't run across them.

I was just talking to a state forester - a real, good, balance of business and environment guy. He said that breeding / growing conditions need to be just right for rattle snakes, thus they never get too far from one of these spots. We've owned this farm since almost 100 years before Stihls were invented, and I've never heard of a rattle snake. Go one mile up the hill, and they can be found.

Finally, a win!

Bill

fireview2788 said:
Intheswamp said:
fireview2788 said:
He's a good looking snake, especially with the round pupils! What kind is it?

fv
Rat snake. They're rather nice to have around unless you have chickens in a small scale coop....they can eat eggs and chicks. Other than that they're pretty good to have around...just the wife and MIL tend to not be a fan of them. I've caught several around here and relocated them to more friendly (for them) areas. Cottonmouths, copperheads, rattlers...well, if they're around the house they meet a timely death (sorry snake lovers but I've got two grandbabies, a wife, MIL, and ME). If I run up on any of these poisonous snakes down around the cabin/swamp I pretty well let them slither on away.

The problem with rattlers is that I'm basically deaf to their buzz. :( I found one in the middle of a dirt road a couple of years ago and stopped to check him out. I poked him with a stick till I got him good and mad, all coiled up and shaking his tail. He was only about 3' long so I got pretty close to him and squatted down...if I turned my head a certain direction I could pick up on his rattling a *little* bit, but mostly I couldn't hear that pitch. Ain't no tellin' how many I've walked by or stepped over down in the swamp or the piney woods. I think the fact that I *didn't* hear them kept them from striking me...they didn't sense any apprehension coming from me (because I didn't hear them) so they just laid low till I passed on by. Maybe that's some fanciful thinking, but through my years I have been through some mighty snake infested places.

We also have some fairly good sized green-banded black king snakes, too. Those are beautiful and get BIG. :)

Anyhow, this little round eyed fellow got him a new home...I'm sure there's more around. ;)

Ed

All reasons I am glad I live in OH! My mother-in-law is from Winston Cty, AL and she tells me plenty of snake stories. If she see a garter snakes she's in a tree.

fv

There are still rattle snakes in Ohio! :eek:hh:
We even have some here in Michigan.....not many but there still out there.
The ones you really have to watch out for are the hybrid Copper headed Rattle Moccasins :lol:

NCPABill said:
Adios Pantalones said:

I was just talking to a state forester - a real, good, balance of business and environment guy. He said that breeding / growing conditions need to be just right for rattle snakes, thus they never get too far from one of these spots. We've owned this farm since almost 100 years before Stihls were invented, and I've never heard of a rattle snake. Go one mile up the hill, and they can be found.

Finally, a win!

Bill
Timber rattlers up in the north tend to stay close to rocky upland outcroppings, from what I understand. Females stay closer to the overwintering den especially if they're getting ready to have babies (about every 3(?) years and they only have about 1/2 dozen of them. There personality is really a non-aggressive one...but, they'll still bite you if provoked. An interesting thing is that it takes several years for a timber rattler to come to maturity and they can live at least 12 years. The males will roam further than the females. In the winter they will "co"-den with copperheads and other snakes. I wouldn't have killed this one if it had been out in the wild, but being in the garage...it had to go. This morning two of my dogs signaled where the snake had been...and I still could smell it this morning. As I moved in closer to the "clutter" something made a noise and kinda spooked me. After church I went back to the area, but didn't see, hear, nor *smell* anything. Not sure if it was a new snake's scent that I smelled this morning and it had left or if the scent from the snake from yesterday had finally dissipated. :-S

Ed

[/quote]
Not sure if it was a new snake's scent that I smelled this morning and it had left or if the scent from the snake from yesterday had finally dissipated. :-S

Ed[/quote]

I always heard old wives tales that snakes can "smell/taste" a dead snake in the air, so around here alot of folks will hang them on their fences (still freaks me out!). maybe worth a try?

Here's one I found when I was taking out the last of one stack. This picture is probably a year old now. These things act like rattlesnakes but are only actors. Milk snakes they are and can grow quite large.

Snake-2.jpg

Here's another I posted in the Picture forum. One hungry snake!

Snakewithbigmeal.jpg

I once canoed a 100-mile section of the Allegheny River and kept an eye out for copperheads, which I was told were numerous, but saw nary a one.

The day after I got home, I went to play golf and encountered a copperhead in the middle of the fairway.

Still pondering that one...

Nancy

any of you winter fans (mainly snomobiling) can relate to all the snow snakes we have here. some of 'em really get big!

yooperdave said:
any of you winter fans (mainly snomobiling) can relate to all the snow snakes we have here. some of 'em really get big!

Nah. Around here, the snipes keep 'em in check.

My friend who is a state forester has pictures of a Timber Rattler that was found about 3 miles up the road from my house so I usually try to keep an eye out for them when in the woods. I have never had much of a snake problem in my woodpiles ever since we got the Jack Russell Terrier as she tends to tear any snake she finds to pieces. If there is anything hiding in the woodpiles she will spend a whole day climbing the woodpiles and digging to get at it. The only time I get annoyed is when I have to re-stack because she is tearing wood off the stacks. In 7 years we have only had to take her to the vet once because she got bitten by a copper head but she was back out there and at it again the same day she got home.

Jags said:
I have yet to see a snake that I didn't want to kill. Period. No apologies or excuses.

+100

Want to or not, there's generally no reason. They're usually doing you a favor. Until critters start screwing with my house or garden- they can do what they want here. I wouldn't want to live where there's more poisonous snakes (never seen one in the wild here).

Adios Pantalones said:
Want to or not, there's generally no reason. They're usually doing you a favor. Until critters start screwing with my house or garden- they can do what they want here. I wouldn't want to live where there's more poisonous snakes (never seen one in the wild here).

It's not like I go hunting them - if they stay away from me, I will stay away from them. Now if they show their little no armed, no legged, no wings or fins body around me - then all bets are off.

I could use a few big snakes to eat some of the excess rabbits around here. There just aren't many snakes in my area. Too bad, I like snakes.

Intheswamp said:
Jags said:
I have yet to see a snake that I didn't want to kill. Period. No apologies or excuses.

I take it you live by the "never seen a handbag I didn't like" philosophy. :cheese:

I live by the philosophy that something that has no arms, no legs, no wings, no fins shouldn't be able to move that fast. Therefore they must be evil beings that must be killed. Its the only logical conclusion.

Wood Duck said:
I could use a few big snakes to eat some of the excess rabbits around here. There just aren't many snakes in my area. Too bad, I like snakes.

For years we had cats around the house...at times, too many of them. During that time we had field mice off and on, also, with the occasional rat running between outbuildings. After the last cat met it's untimely demise we noticed a slight bump in mice activity. Then suddenly...no mice. We started seeing more and more purple tailed skinks, fence lizards, and plain old green lizards...and a few occasional non-poisonous snakes. I really hate that I had to get rid of the rat snake the other day. And I really didn't want to kill the timber rattler but I've had a rule since I was a teenager that if a poisonous snake is around a populated area (close to a house) I kill it...down in the swamp, though, I've seen some cotton mouths and copperheads that could eat a goat and I let them move unimpeded on their way. The second thing I thought about after I alerted to the rattler was how pretty it was...stocky build, classic timber rattler pattern, black tail. The second thing I thought of was that it was probably in the garage hunting lizards.

Anyhow, that's two snakes I've had to remove from the immediate vicinity of the house in the last couple of weeks....I hope the mice don't decide to do a commando raid on us. ;(

Ed

Jags said:
Intheswamp said:
Jags said:

I take it you live by the "never seen a handbag I didn't like" philosophy. :cheese:

I live by the philosophy that something that has no arms, no legs, no wings, no fins shouldn't be able to move that fast. Therefore they must be evil beings that must be killed. Its the only logical conclusion.
<chuckle> I hear ya Jags. Not only can they move fast, but climb....those suckers can CLIMB!!! I've got a martin gourd rack out beside the house. One day the birds were raising cane and there was a rat snake coiled up on one of the cross-arms...it had got past a stove-pipe predator guard (top about 3' off the ground) and had climbed a 15" 2-inch galvanized pipe. I knocked it off with a pole and carried it to a new territory. I don't mind having the non-poisonous ones around the house but the poisonous ones...nah.

We also have some large king snakes around, though I haven't seen one this year.

Ed

Jags said:
Intheswamp said:
Jags said:

AGREED!

what do you do when it’s 2am, you belly up to the bar for last call, and the FAT chick bartender with the big snake tatoo tells you they ran out of beer?

That's when I KNOW it's time to go home!!!

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.