You think your stove is too small!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanningjw

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2008
Plymouth, Minnesota

Attachments

• bluecod_stainedglassdoor.jpg
    bluecod_stainedglassdoor.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,654
We had a gentle man here around Christmas time that lived in a boat in MA and heated with wood....wonder how he's doing?

They're really nice little stoves, but at $1,100-$1,800 a pop they're waaaaaay overpriced in my book.

We use a Dickenson Marine diesel fuel heater for our sailboat. It's easy to use, safe, and it's using a fuel that's already onboard, no worrying about humping fuel wood up and down the docks and trying to keep it dry and make space for it on the boat. I love wood heat, but I don't think it's very practical for boats........

NP

savageactor7 said:
We had a gentle man here around Christmas time that lived in a boat in MA and heated with wood....wonder how he's doing?

In fact, he posted a link to this very stove. I remember that he was having CO issues, but was very concerned with privacy and did not want to post pictures of his install. Hope he got everything worked out.

That's the stove the guy that came around here was using, and that's the exact pic he posted to show us what stove he had. Love that pic.

Nonprophet said:
I love wood heat, but I don't think it's very practical for boats........

Wood heat and cooking has been used on boats for hundreds of years.

Some of them even burn parrafin. Smells wonderful, just like being in a ski shack waxing skiis.

TreePapa said:
Nonprophet said:
I love wood heat, but I don't think it's very practical for boats........

Wood heat and cooking has been used on boats for hundreds of years.

Yes, and we used horses for hundreds of years as our main source of transportation, but that doesn't mean that it's practical to do so today........

NP

It's not about practicality, it's about preference. The stoves wouldn't be available at all if there wasn't a market for them. Nor would horses. Rick

Lanning said:
Check out this Salty and his stove!

That is a great picture! You shoud make that your avatar. I can't believe in this era that an insurance company would approve a wood burner on a boat. It seems a wood burner woud be safer in my attached garage, with two cars, kerosene, gas, and a 12 pack of beer!

CTburns said:
...I can't believe in this era that an insurance company would approve a wood burner on a boat.

Oh my, yes...let alone gasoline or diesel fuel! Rick

fossil said:
It's not about practicality, it's about preference. The stoves wouldn't be available at all if there wasn't a market for them. Nor would horses. Rick

There's to many of them now, Rick (horses that is). Such a slaughter/transport/rescue fight going on. To much breeding, it's horrid.

Sad.

And it is about preference.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
...To much breeding, it's horrid.

Well, why should the horses or any of the other animals we've taken to heart or found commercial value in be any different in that respect from us humans? We breed too much, and we encourage/facilitate their breeding. Then we recognize it (way too late) as a problem, and wring our hands and gnash our teeth over what's to be done about all of it. Dang, I'm gonna to have to moderate this thread right into the Ash Can if I don't stop posting so far OT. %-P Rick

Bobcatter said:
Some of the boat stoves use charcoal as fuel, here's another little one, about a foot square. And it is Washington State approved for land use!
http://www.marinestove.com/futurestoves.htm

They are nice looking stoves. I'd almost be honored to burn to death, or go down in a vessel with one of those keeping me warm! :lol: Not being a smart-alec, just having a bit of a laugh. Nice stoves, thanks for the link, Bobcatter.
Rich

i would love to add one of those to my TV room

That is such a cute little stove!!

But yeah, why is it ok to have one on a boat, when I can't have one in my bedroom? On the website, there's bed just beyond the galley.

That stove would be great for a far bedroom, or any room that doesn't get heated by the main stove.

fossil said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
...To much breeding, it's horrid.

Well, why should the horses or any of the other animals we've taken to heart or found commercial value in be any different in that respect from us humans? We breed too much, and we encourage/facilitate their breeding. Then we recognize it (way too late) as a problem, and wring our hands and gnash our teeth over what's to be done about all of it. Dang, I'm gonna to have to moderate this thread right into the Ash Can if I don't stop posting so far OT. %-P Rick

And away we go ........<insert Jackie Gleason slide move>

It's been an on going problem, and I would love to see a thread like this in the Ash Can :p Pups. kitties, lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my !!

The cruel slaughter of horses, the auctions, the slaughter transport. It's sad. All for $25 a pound in Europe & Japan (amongst others).

Rick, ya set me off, in a good way. I think if any one gets educated on this issue, it's a start. And it's not just horses, it's chickens, pigs, cows, etc.

And yes, I eat meat.

*grabs my parasol, because here we go !!!*

Dixie, go ahead and start a new thread in the ash can. It's been pretty dead there lately. There's not too much of a connection between tiny marine stoves and eating horsemeat.

BeGreen said:
Dixie, go ahead and start a new thread in the ash can. It's been pretty dead there lately. There's not too much of a connection between tiny marine stoves and eating horsemeat.

I don't think she can, BG, unless Craig's opened it back up to new threads. She could start a thread here and one of us could move it over there, then folks could post to the thread, but I don't think she can open up a new thread in the Ash Can, unless I've completely missed something (which is entirely possible). Rick

fossil said:
She could start a thread here and one of us could move it over there, then folks could post to the thread, but I don't think she can open up a new thread in the Ash Can, unless I've completely missed something (which is entirely possible). Rick

Entirely possible that I've missed something too. My braincells are about 5 months older than yours. And at our age, every month counts!

CTburns said:
Lanning said:
Check out this Salty and his stove!

That is a great picture! You shoud make that your avatar. I can't believe in this era that an insurance company would approve a wood burner on a boat. It seems a wood burner woud be safer in my attached garage, with two cars, kerosene, gas, and a 12 pack of beer!

Ok Now I under stand what it is......An avatar is a computer user's representation of himself/herself or alter ego, whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games, ...ok

annette said:
That is such a cute little stove!!

But yeah, why is it ok to have one on a boat, when I can't have one in my bedroom?

Because boats are not covered by the Uniform Building Code.

BTW, check out the pictures gallery on the mfg's website. Some pretty cool applications.

I am getting one for my Grady White, I think it would be great for those late season Northeast fishing trips!!

Status
Not open for further replies.