You Were Expecting This, Weren't You?! (Tell The Truth)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
soupy1957 said:
P.S. What's a "Fiskars"?????

-Soupy1957

A very good splitting axe brand.

Danno77 said:
I'm totally confused. All I know is that people here are offering advice about something so I'll summarize what has surely been said:

You need an F350 4x4 with a long bed, a Stihl 880; and a Fiskars.

there. hope that helps.

PS, if i was rich, I'd be like the other poster who would have a brand new one ton truck, a handful of awesome stoves, every saw i felt inclined to buy when I was at the store, the mostest awesomist woodshed, and a the biggest collection of splitters and mauls you've ever seen. Then i'd start buying the weird and wonderful harvesting equipment that Lee sometimes posts links to.

Thanks. Now we're all confused. Where did this rant come from??

+1 on the plumbers torch!! I saw my father-in-law doing that and tried it out. Really takes the fiddling around out of starting a pile of kindling. Small Bernzo-matic propane torch; cylinders are about $4. Have not emptied one yet, this year. Burn 24/7 because we have no other "real" heat source.

4acrefarm said:
Try lighting it with an instant light plumbers torch if you don't have paper and small enough splits. I do this when it dosent catch the first time or when i'm to lazzy to do it right. A mechanic friend of mine usese road flairs, just toss it in and forget it.

logger said:
Danno77 said:
I'm totally confused. All I know is that people here are offering advice about something so I'll summarize what has surely been said:

You need an F350 4x4 with a long bed, a Stihl 880; and a Fiskars.

there. hope that helps.

PS, if i was rich, I'd be like the other poster who would have a brand new one ton truck, a handful of awesome stoves, every saw i felt inclined to buy when I was at the store, the mostest awesomist woodshed, and a the biggest collection of splitters and mauls you've ever seen. Then i'd start buying the weird and wonderful harvesting equipment that Lee sometimes posts links to.

Thanks. Now we're all confused. Where did this rant come from??

well, first elmoleaf said "If I were rich, I probably wouldn’t bother with a woodstove" and then slyferret said "If I were rich, I’d have one hell of a wood shed, a few really nice saws, a brand new splitter, a nice big trailer and a 3500HD Diesel to pull it with. Oh yeah… and I’d own a few hundred acres of my own land to supply me with wood." and that last part was a response to that.

at one point wet1 said "Get a BKK, it takes most if the indoor hassle and work out of heating with a wood stove. Load it once or twice a day and walk away… Seriously." which is funny because people always get advice here on what they should use and buy, EVEN WHEN THEY DIDN'T ASK FOR THAT ADVICE. I always get a kick out of that, and participate plenty in the bad habit, so this was my lame attempt at making a joke at our forum's expense.

I think the consensus is that most people don't look at a woodstove as work at all, we in fact take delight in it. Personally, I like every single part of burning: stacking wood, cutting wood (admittedly I buy most of it C&S), loading wood, cleaning the chimney, taking ash out, inspecting it when I shut it down. Now I'll readily admit that my enthusiasm is likely backed by a renewed interest in saving money. I hated burning wood as a kid when my father looked at the indoor stack, saw it was nearly empty and said, "boys get your coats on, we need wood."

I think, as many have voiced, that there is something to be said about the role your 'routine' or set up has on your level of enjoyment with burning wood. If you have go out behind the garage and haul it in two pieces at a time every few hours, of course you'll hate it. If you can set up your property, home and wood loading system in a comfortable manner, I think you'll find you enjoy it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.