Your Experience Between Oak and Pine Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ARGlock

Feeling the Heat
Aug 24, 2010
Arkansas
Hello All,

I'm curious of everyone's experience with Pine Pellets primarily since we now have a good source in our area. We have always used high quality Oak Pellets but now have a large supply of Pine Pellets available. Is there a huge drop in BTU and performance between Oak and Pine Pellets?

Thanks Everyone!
AR

Hello All,

I'm curious of everyone's experience with Pine Pellets primarily since we now have a good source in our area. We have always used high quality Oak Pellets but now have a large supply of Pine Pellets available. Is there a huge drop in BTU and performance between Oak and Pine Pellets?

Thanks Everyone!
AR

what brand of softwoods are in your area?

They are called Tiny Timbers by Fiber Resources, Inc. We haven't tested them yet but are considering.
Thanks!

yeah have them around where I live. I bought Patterson’s pellets from TSC but local Orchealns is carrying tiny timber’s. I’ve always had good pellets from Fiber Resourse

Reactions: ARGlock
It depends on your stove too, some burn softwood great and some don’t. Some stoves have more adjustments than others. My last pellets were a jack pine and hardwood blend and my stove ran like garbage. With full hardwood pellets it runs super. I think part of the problem is softwood burns faster and the pot would burn up between pellet loads, so I throttle back the air then they wouldn’t burn hot enough to keep the pot going. There was no happy medium. Horrible ash and buildup too. But that’s just my experience with one brand and my stove where most settings are not adjustable.

I would get a few bags and try them.

Last edited:
yeah have them around where I live. I bought Patterson’s pellets from TSC but local Orchealns is carrying tiny timber’s. I’ve always had good pellets from Fiber Resourse

Lineman30, have you burned the Tiny Timbers Pine Pellets in your stove? If anyone has any experience with the Fiber Resources Tiny Timbers pellets I would very much like your input. Thanks Everyone! AR

Lineman30, have you burned the Tiny Timbers Pine Pellets in your stove? If anyone has any experience with the Fiber Resources Tiny Timbers pellets I would very much like your input. Thanks Everyone! AR

no haven’t tried those particular softwoods. Just tried a bag of Patterson’s wood pellets. All pine and boy I love them. Awesome heat and no ash. Like I said about Fiber Resourse pellets I have had good luck with them in the past so you should be alright.

Reactions: ARGlock
no haven’t tried those particular softwoods. Just tried a bag of Patterson’s wood pellets. All pine and boy I love them. Awesome heat and no ash. Like I said about Fiber Resourse pellets I have had good luck with them in the past so you should be alright.

Thanks A Lot Lineman! Great info! We should have no problem with them then. Anxious to start running them.

It really does depend on your stove. My mini A does not burn softwood pellets very well. Hardwood has always done better.

Always burn Easy Blaze soft wood in my PDV 25 . Burns super hot , It actually doesnt like the hard wood at all.

I find it intriguing that some stoves like softwood pellets and others prefer Hardwood
Other than the wood used what is the difference between the two?

I find it intriguing that some stoves like softwood pellets and others prefer Hardwood
Other than the wood used what is the difference between the two?
I think it’s because some or the more expensive stoves have better feeders and airflow to the burn pot. While I love my inexpensive pdv25 it is very temperamental on being clean for airflow and type of pellets. Personally I do not think that the PDV has the airflow to burn hardwood correctly. And I have all the mods done to my stove and dialed in. Just my 2 cents