Your opinion of these two moisture meters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Would like to hear what you think of these two similarly priced moisture meters.

I think I've narrowed my search for a moisture meter down to these two:

Extech MO210 - 80 dollars :
http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=11&prodid=72

and

General Tools MM80G - 64 Dollars :
http://www.generaltools.com/Products/Precision-Digital-and-LED-Moisture-Meter__MM80G.aspx

Do you have any thoughts or opinions? I looked at some of the cheaper stuff.... just wonder if it's junk and a waste of money?

Attachments

• Exetech MO2010.jpg
    Exetech MO2010.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 385
  • General Tools MM80G.jpg
    General Tools MM80G.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 392
Folks here speak well of the $12 one harbor freight salvage sells. Don't think I've seen a high end one like one of those discussed here.

If you're going to use it for testing only firewood, I'd go as cheap as you can. I have several meters for work, and my $480 Protimeter gets compared to my lower end Tramex and Delmhorst meters frequently. They both give readings within 2-3% of eachother. If you're going to use it for more than firewood, then consider buying a quality meter. BTW, these are not "high end" meters. I'd say they're entry level meters, but for firewood, they're just fine. I'd say that the auto shut off feature on the 2nd one is useful. I didn't look close at the Extech to see if it has that or not.

Thanks, I'm not looking for a high-end device... just something that's accurate and reliable for use with the firewood. Both of these looked like more reputable brands than the cheap stuff on Amazon, Harbor Freight, or as private labeled by some of the stove companies. The manual for the general tools meter has some kind of chart to cross reference the readings in different species of wood. The next model up for Extech does that automatically. If the cheap ones do the job I'll just get one of them. I just hate to spend my money on cheap crap. But if it works it's not, and I would be happy.

For as much as these will get used for firewood-only I wouldn't consider spending more that $20 or so. Go the cheap route. You can live with the +/- 2-5% you get from the low-end units....

I have the $12 unit from Harbor Freight and it works like a charm...all three times per year I use it...

Status
Not open for further replies.