Your pets with your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my three! The one on the right barely moves from the stove.....girls are always cold.

IMG_2833.jpg

fossil said:
During our home re-mod, Charlie and Rascal pretty much lived with me out in my workshop, across the driveway from our house. They got to where they were asking me to serve them snacks and drinks. These days, they just hang out in front of the Liberty in the house...quite frequently completely occupying my recliner. :coolmad: Rick

Rick, those are knock-out cats. I'm a major connoisseur of kitty faces, and those are just irresistible little mugs.

One of my two happily spends hours lying on the stone hearth next to the stove, the other sometimes sits behind it for a while, but on the whole prefers to trade a bit less heat for the softer chair cushions.

My mother had a cat that spent hours on a little settee type thing in the hall with his nose stuck between the slats of the big old cast radiator. The only thing cats like more than heat is food and mousies.

Ummmmm...... So fire people are animal people ? I as well have both cats and dogs "yes I will have to get a pic up" mine is in my garage that is actually the smoking lounge / computer lab :)

Also known as the decompression area.

Cat dam near sleeps on it, often under it. And yes, I have no idea how she can take it at times. Dog shifts .... hot is on the floor and when cold on the couch next to it. She's also a 165 pound rotty, I should get her to help bring in wood !!

Fire people / animal people ?? I see another thread.......

My pup'll drag all her toys by the stove, just to make sure they don't get taken while she's lounging!

She also helps me to collect kindling! That's PINE--Bad Puppy, BAD puppy!

S

Attachments

• DSC01086.jpg
    DSC01086.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,240
  • DSC01110.jpg
    DSC01110.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,239
fredarm said:
Shaved the cat??
I know. But he's a long-haired cat. I thought it was a crazy idea but now when the cat lays somewhere he doesn't leave those long white hairs. And my wife stops following him around with the lint roller. Dog, too. He's an Australian Sheperd who no longer has a shedding problem.

I Made Fire! said:
Just shot this Sunday. My wife shaved the cat (to cut down on shedding) so he's a real heat-seeker. The dog usually doesn't rest but needed a break from the action here. Come to think of it, she shaved the dog too. The insert makes the den the warmest room in the house.

Watch out, you're next.

firefighterjake said:
Calvin Coolidge lounging in front of the fire.

Great pet name! Our dog's full name is Woodrow Woody Guthrie Wilson. We call him Woody.

BrowningBAR said:
firefighterjake said:
Calvin Coolidge lounging in front of the fire.

Great pet name! Our dog's full name is Woodrow Woody Guthrie Wilson. We call him Woody.

We had a Woodrow Wilson too . . . but sadly he died last year from old age . . . now we're just down to Theodore Roosevelt and Calvin Coolidge for our Presidential cats.

christmas-kitteh.jpg

Not a woodstove, but the cats typically will hang out on top of the mantle with their feet hanging down or in front of the hearth with their bellies pointed at the fire.

Here's "Gunner" warming up after a cold pheasant hunt. He usually lays his head on the hearth.

Attachments

• gunny n stove.jpg
    gunny n stove.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,148
logger said:
Here's "Gunner" warming up after a cold pheasant hunt. He usually lays his head on the hearth.

I wish I had your stove (and your dog). Last time I was up at French Creek, the pheasants learned a trick or two about running the rows and the fields were far too big for a three man group to flush them.

Warm in RI said:
Ok, so the reason we're all here is simple, we are, for the most part cavemen. (I know there are a few women on here too) What more could a caveman ask for then to play with wood, steel, iron, stone and fire. The heat and the gratitude from our cave women is a bonus. But what about man's best freinds? Our dogs and our cats. They enjoy it too. Sometimes, it seems more than we do. As much as I enjoy the fire and the heat, I wouldn't lay as close to my stove as the cats do. Post any pictures of pets enjoying the stove.

I swear I have the twin to your cat on the left. Spitting image.

Murph last year, even as a pup, he "knew"

10_06_12.jpg

I gotta get a new pic, now that he's full size, and the FP looks alot different :)

My 2 cats can't be bothered, they'd rather sleep on the back of the recliners, which I have covered with towels, to eliminate cat hair, and an easy clean up.

Rick, I love the shop pic, and the chairs :) It's like the "Feline Lounge Extrodinaire" ;-P Belly up to the bar, boys, lol !!

When I prepared the first fire of the season back in October our cat immediately took up her position on the rug nearest the hearth, even before I struck a match.

Like Dixie, I have to get on the stick and flesh out the shots of the animals near the stoves. There are some really great shots on this thread. The husband particularly enjoyed the cats, esp. Jake's orange tabby.

Here is Florence Griffeth Joiner, our beloved Floey, who departed for the Happy Hunting Ground at age 17:

381870788.gif

And here is Spencer, soaking up some warmth out in the studio:

381870787.gif

trailrated said:
Warm in RI said:
Ok, so the reason we're all here is simple, we are, for the most part cavemen. (I know there are a few women on here too) What more could a caveman ask for then to play with wood, steel, iron, stone and fire. The heat and the gratitude from our cave women is a bonus. But what about man's best freinds? Our dogs and our cats. They enjoy it too. Sometimes, it seems more than we do. As much as I enjoy the fire and the heat, I wouldn't lay as close to my stove as the cats do. Post any pictures of pets enjoying the stove.

I swear I have the twin to your cat on the left. Spitting image.

Cool. That's my wife's cat, Hobbes. She took him in as a stray three years ago when she lived in NYC. He's by far the biggest feline fire fan in the house. In fact he's laying half on/half off the hearth right now soaking in the heat, much like in the picture.

I had wondered if mine were the only ones that do this kind of stuff. My used to hate it when I had the stove on, preferred to be outside sleeping on a slab of ice. The Rotty I have now is worse then the cats sometimes.

Attachments

• DSCN9792.jpg
    DSCN9792.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 943
  • DSCN9699.jpg
    DSCN9699.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 951
  • DSCN0622.jpg
    DSCN0622.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 956
And if it's not the stove, it's the wood pile.

Attachments

• DSCN0324.jpg
    DSCN0324.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,097
  • DSCN0068.jpg
    DSCN0068.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,123
JerseyWreckDiver said:
I had wondered if mine were the only ones that do this kind of stuff. My used to hate it when I had the stove on, preferred to be outside sleeping on a slab of ice. The Rotty I have now is worse then the cats sometimes.

... your one cat is wearing a sweater, isn't it.

BrowningBAR said:
JerseyWreckDiver said:

She was just spayed... Making her wear the Elizabithian Collar {aka, lampshade} was like torture but after she tried to tear her sutures out I had to do something, so I made her the "stegosaurus" suit.

Attachments

• DSCN0624.jpg
    DSCN0624.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,073
JerseyWreckDiver said:
And if it's not the stove, it's the wood pile.

LOL !! That's a classic !!

JerseyWreckDiver said:
BrowningBAR said:
JerseyWreckDiver said:

She was just spayed... Making her wear the Elizabithian Collar {aka, lampshade} was like torture but after she tried to tear her sutures out I had to do something, so I made her the "stegosaurus" suit.

I know it's not right, but I'm laughing my butt off at your cat and the pink "sweater" . . . makes me wonder if all her kitty cat friends were making fun of her that day. On the other hand, she seems comfortable enough wearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.