Your thoughts on this install and set up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
I have a couple of things I would like to run buy the team here. I have purchased a used Hampton HI200 in Timberline Brown. The unit is in really good shape and was manufactured in 2008. Here is the set up.....

Insert - Hampton HI200
Location - Existing Basement masonry fireplace with proper clearances
Chimney - 35 foot, exterior chimney with independent flues (upstairs/downstairs)
Flue - 13x13 Terracotta clay liner in great shape
Liner - Looking for a 35 foot insulated liner but I am not sure which one to get. I have a local guy selling a 35 foot, new Z-Flex liner with blanket insulation installed. Chimney cap, and appliance adapter for $500. I would have to get a proper terracotta top plat. But that seems like a good deal. There are many other sources but I am looking at $1100-$1300 for the liner.

I had two chimney companies come out today and I am waiting on the quote for install but I am really having a hard time not trying to do this myself. One stated that I do not need to insulate the liner, but I feel that we should. 13x13 is a pretty good size space to stuff a 6" insulated liner and although it may not be a straight down, I feel like I could do it. However I want it done right......:)

I believe that I will have to somehow remove the damper frame but I need to get in there to see how hard it will be to fit the liner through.

Can you guys give me some advice on the liner and whether or not I should install it myself? Anyone in Maryland want to assist for a nice bottle of bourbon or beer and good company!

Last edited:
Not rocket science, but you will want to do it right. Your first step would be to have a sweep come out and do a level 4 inspection on your chimney with a camera, I always recommend this so you can make sure you don't have any issues before installing the liner. They will be able to see cracks and creosote build up and alert you to it. If you have cracks you HAVE to get an insulated liner. And a very good cleaning of the tiles will be needed before the install.

Read up on here on other installs and that will let you know what your in for. Your install is pretty tall, I would worry about overdraft at that height, not much can really be done about it with an insert install, if you install a freestanding stove you could put a damper inline, but that is a whole nother ball of wax.

You are a bit far from me but there are some other members closer to you. You might want to look into getting a Genie lift at that height.

I have a couple of things I would like to run buy the team here. I have purchased a used Hampton HI200 in Timberline Brown. The unit is in really good shape and was manufactured in 2008. Here is the set up.....

Insert - Hampton HI2100
Location - Existing Basement masonry fireplace with proper clearances
Chimney - 35 foot, exterior chimney with independent flues (upstairs/downstairs)
Flue - 13x13 Terracotta clay liner in great shape
Liner - Looking for a 35 foot insulated liner but I am not sure which one to get. I have a local guy selling a 35 foot, new Z-Flex liner with blanket insulation installed. Chimney cap, and appliance adapter for $500. I would have to get a proper terracotta top plat. But that seems like a good deal. There are many other sources but I am looking at $1100-$1300 for the liner.

I had two chimney companies come out today and I am waiting on the quote for install but I am really having a hard time not trying to do this myself. One stated that I do not need to insulate the liner, but I feel that we should. 13x13 is a pretty good size space to stuff a 6" insulated liner and although it may not be a straight down, I feel like I could do it. However I want it done right......:)

I believe that I will have to somehow remove the damper frame but I need to get in there to see how hard it will be to fit the liner through.

Can you guys give me some advice on the liner and whether or not I should install it myself? Anyone in Maryland want to assist for a nice bottle of bourbon or beer and good company!
Yes you are right you do want and probably need insulation. You will also probably have to remove the damper frame. That sounds like a good deal for that liner if it is in good shape. Dont forget the blockoff plate.

Not rocket science, but you will want to do it right. Your first step would be to have a sweep come out and do a level 4 inspection on your chimney with a camera, I always recommend this so you can make sure you don't have any issues before installing the liner. They will be able to see cracks and creosote build up and alert you to it. If you have cracks you HAVE to get an insulated liner. And a very good cleaning of the tiles will be needed before the install.

Read up on here on other installs and that will let you know what your in for. Your install is pretty tall, I would worry about overdraft at that height, not much can really be done about it with an insert install, if you install a freestanding stove you could put a damper inline, but that is a whole nother ball of wax.

You are a bit far from me but there are some other members closer to you. You might want to look into getting a Genie lift at that height.
I have never heard of a level 4 inspection and the condition or even existance of clay liners has no bearing on insulation requirements.

I am going to trace out the backing plate specs on a piece of cardboard to have one made. I saw a lot of great write ups on here regarding that. How far up should this be installed? Just below the damper opening? The liner looks to be in good shape and is stated to be new/never installed. It looks like he installed the insulation and bailed on the project.

However it does not look like it is insulated on the back side. May be better just to order one direct. I know there are a lot of sources but it is interesting that the prices vary so much

Here is a pic
b60132719f1bca4eded2052eee1e2f95.jpg

I am going to trace out the backing plate specs on a piece of cardboard to have one made. I saw a lot of great write ups on here regarding that. How far up should this be installed? Just below the damper opening? The liner looks to be in good shape and is stated to be new/never installed. It looks like he installed the insulation and bailed on the project.

However it does not look like it is insulated on the back side. May be better just to order one direct. I know there are a lot of sources but it is interesting that the prices vary so much

Here is a pic
View attachment 220316
There are many different alloys thicknesses and construction types. M flex is a fecent brand but definatly on the cheaper side of the market.

With that much height i would go down to a 5.5" liner to help keep draft down. Even with that chances are you will need to restrict the intake to keep it controllable.

That's probably just a 25' insulation blanket on a 35' liner.

I agree that it seems like a simple project. For me, Plan A was to do it myself, Plan B was to hire someone. I wanted it done right and I knew exactly what I needed done due to what I learned from everyone here and didn't want to leave it up to someone else because finding a person with the technical knowledge can be difficult. So the strategy was to order everything I needed to do it and if I decided on Plan B, I have all the materials and I don't need to worry about a lack of technical knowledge since everything was here and I would be home during the install - I just needed the hands on experience.

I got as far as rolling out the liner and wrapping it before I convinced myself that I should hire someone who has the hands on experience of doing it instead of me fumbling through it. After all that (also had a 35' liner), the thought of trying to get it up on the roof and down the flue, I personally didn't want to risk it and put someone else at risk as well.

Typed quicker than I thought, level 2 with camera. And I won't get into the insulation needed on cracked tiles discussion again.
No problem. I just didnt want people asking for a level 4 inspection when it doesnt exist. And i am all for insulating my only problem is when people say you need insulation if the tiles are cracked it implies that if the tiles are ok you dont. And that can be dangerous.

Just got one quote back from a local company. $1685 for 35’ Liner (uninsulated), top plate, cap, install, connection to the insert and ready to burn. Not bad considering the liners I️ was looking at were $1200.

It was also encouraging that they could have it in by Wednesday.

My only concern is that he doesn’t think it is necessary to insulate the liner and he does not find it necessary to install a block off plate.

Waiting on another quote but may try to get another a third as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got one quote back from a local company. $1685 for 35’ Liner (uninsulated), top plate, cap, install, connection to the insert and ready to burn. Not bad considering the liners I️ was looking at were $1200.

It was also encouraging that they could have it in by Wednesday.

My only concern is that he doesn’t think it is necessary to insulate the liner and he does not find it necessary to install a block off plate.

Waiting on another quote but may try to get another a third as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he isnt insulating or doing a block off plate find someone else.

Yooper, I was thinking about doing this. It is frustrating to want to leave it up to the professionals to do this install and pay good money only to have to suggest what I know is correct. I would like insulation and a block off plate, should I trust someone that says do not do this? The second company also stated that I do not need to insulate the liner. How many professionals do I have to go through before I find one that knows the proper way to do this.

I guess that is how it goes. Instead of letting the professionals tell me how they install, I will have to prompt them upon arrival to let them know that I want these things done. Insulated flue, block of plate (I can provide and make), proper terracotta top plate, etc........

It is frustrating. Knowing that, it's kinda scary thinking about how many consumers aren't as well informed and just accept what they're told and go their merry way.

I found one company in my area that knew they should insulate, granted, I didn't contact every one of them, but at least of the ones I did. From an install perspective, insulation is just the extra step of wrapping the liner, everything else is essentially the same. For me, what it came down to was could I trust their work outside of the insulation question. To try to determine this, I just asked what their plan was and how everything goes together. They should be able to look at the liner kit and walk through it without looking at a manual to answer that. Sometimes we see liners or appliance connectors installed upside down, for the trained eye, it's pretty easy to spot.

Find all the incoming air inlets on that 200 and buy some magnets, you might need to use them to cover the air ports to slow down the draft.
Magnets over the air inlets.Now that is very clever.Thanks.

Yooper, I was thinking about doing this. It is frustrating to want to leave it up to the professionals to do this install and pay good money only to have to suggest what I know is correct. I would like insulation and a block off plate, should I trust someone that says do not do this? The second company also stated that I do not need to insulate the liner. How many professionals do I have to go through before I find one that knows the proper way to do this.

I guess that is how it goes. Instead of letting the professionals tell me how they install, I will have to prompt them upon arrival to let them know that I want these things done. Insulated flue, block of plate (I can provide and make), proper terracotta top plate, etc........
Don't wait for them to arrive to tell them what you want.Tell them what you want before they get the OK.

I called another company who sells these units to see what they charge for a firebrick set this afternoon. Not only do they sell the set for less than what I found anywhere else ($50) I asked if he could provide an estimate for an install. Really nice guy who picked up the phone 5 minutes before closing and it turns out he lives down the street and offered to come by within 45 minutes.

I let him tell me what he thought and I was going to add the things I wanted. Turns out he recommended an insulated liner and either stuffing insulation around insert and above to fill the void or installing a block of plate! He also said that he would do it all for $1100.and could get it done the week of 1/22. Feeling better about this.

He was also the owner..

I had the chimney inspected when I purchased the house in 2015. This was not by the inspector but by a chimney company. They scoped it and it checked out and looked "hardly used". Makes sense because it still is hardly used as I have only had two fires in it since. It was sweeped in August of 2016 and not used since.

Today is the day, they were able to squeeze me in tonight at 3:30 to install and connect everything. It looks painless so far although they had to drill out the existing flue and some brick to get the liner through. It is lined and installed, just waiting for them to complete the top portion of the chimney and we should be good to go!

I have to coach the kids soccer tonight but something tells me I am going to have to test it tonight.....even though it is currently 55 deg outside. The basement is chilly though so that is my excuse.

Best part about used stoves is there isn’t a break in smell!
Looks great and sounds like you found a great company to work with, which is worth its weight in gold.