2016/2017 VC owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The secondary mod is still working fantastic about keeping the temps down.... But I am concerned like others about emissions. Cruising at 1070 cat tonight and there is a lot of smoke outside (not steam).

I think it needs some minimum amount of air to burn it all. Might go back to 3oclock timing but leave the stop (or rather have to figure out how to make a new one since I removed it)
I bent a paper clip and put it in the corner opposite the hinge side. Provides much smaller gap than the stock tab.

Good morning Gents. I have '99 Encore 2550 with a warped upper fireback and combustion throat hood, I ordered the replacement parts from Mountain View Hearth Products (MVHP). As I am sure you all know, VC does not offer customer service, they say we should contact a dealer for all questions. So, I emailed MVHP customer service about rebuilding the inside of the stove.

I asked, "I own a Vermont Castings Encore 2550 wood stove. I have ordered parts from you to rebuild part of the fireback. I have followed the instructions to disassemble the fireback. When I did that I noticed a lot of the stove cement had fallen off or is cracked and loose. I have purchased some tubes of stove cement, where do I need to apply the stove cement? Is there a diagram available?"

The reply from MVHP was, "So I did contact our Vermont Castings Tech and he did inform me that there is no “stove cement” other than the gasket cement required for that model of stove. What you are seeing is most likely what they call Manufacturing Seal and is not required in the stove! If you need anything else, feel free to contact us further!"

I received the response from them within 24 hours, which is great. However, to all of you out there that have done this type of rebuild, does that sound right? Really, I am not suppose to use an stove cement, at all, just gaskets?

i called the place i bought the stove, and they claim that they have never done a cat warranty for VC.... so they were looking into the process! The warranty department is closed for the week, but they are going to get back to me next week!

Good morning Gents. I have '99 Encore 2550 with a warped upper fireback and combustion throat hood, I ordered the replacement parts from Mountain View Hearth Products (MVHP). As I am sure you all know, VC does not offer customer service, they say we should contact a dealer for all questions. So, I emailed MVHP customer service about rebuilding the inside of the stove.

I asked, "I own a Vermont Castings Encore 2550 wood stove. I have ordered parts from you to rebuild part of the fireback. I have followed the instructions to disassemble the fireback. When I did that I noticed a lot of the stove cement had fallen off or is cracked and loose. I have purchased some tubes of stove cement, where do I need to apply the stove cement? Is there a diagram available?"

The reply from MVHP was, "So I did contact our Vermont Castings Tech and he did inform me that there is no “stove cement” other than the gasket cement required for that model of stove. What you are seeing is most likely what they call Manufacturing Seal and is not required in the stove! If you need anything else, feel free to contact us further!"

I received the response from them within 24 hours, which is great. However, to all of you out there that have done this type of rebuild, does that sound right? Really, I am not suppose to use an stove cement, at all, just gaskets?

Not sure if you saw this but @jharkin posted all full rebuild thread with links to manuals which should be very useful in your situation.

Encore 2550 rebuild... start to finish

Ok, so the amount of buildup I got in my chimney last year prompted me to take the stove apart and contemplate a minor rebuild.

To set the background:

- Wood supply is good. Last year I was burning 2-3 year CSS wood, mostly oak maple and some crabapple that I cut myself.

- Stove seemed tight last year and was controllable. No obvious signs of leaks and all the door gaskets good.

- I did get weird catalytic behavior. Sluggish light off on big loads, smoke anytime below 1200F probe temp. I run a steelcat and its warped so Im considering sending it back on warranty.

- You can see there is a lot of black creosote in the firebox, but there was nothing but brown ash in the back of the stove past the catalyst and I was getting good 1100F - 1700F catalyst probe temps, once it lit off! - last year. Typically this stove runs with almost no flame in the main firebox when the cat is engaged however, which is I think why I get firebox buildup.

- Longer term I know the best bet with a VC is to replace it. Financially I'm not in a position to do that this year, but am willing to do a modest investment in parts if I can get it to last a couple more seasons.

- This is not our only source of heat. It gets used mostly on weekends only.

Ok, so to start with I did another good sweeping. I did a late season sweep last year and this time I got about 2 coffee cans of crusty black chips. Probably from only a half cord burning. I installed an outside outlet by the new patio so this time I setup the shop vac outside with a long hose through the window. So much cleaner!!!!

Here is a summary of the completed project:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...advice-appreciated.112149/page-8#post-1536832

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehearth%2Ecom%2Ftalk%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fposts%2F1490960%2F&share_tid=112149&share_fid=53165&share_type=t&share_pid=1490960

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an older VC-2550 that I rebuilt a few years ago. The rebuild was a PITA, but I think it runs better now than when it was new. I added the digital cat probe and I really like it for monitoring what's going on with the cat.

I have an older VC-2550 that I rebuilt a few years ago. The rebuild was a PITA, but I think it runs better now than when it was new. I added the digital cat probe and I really like it for monitoring what's going on with the cat.
A complete rebuild?

A complete rebuild?
Yes Sir, I went completely thru it. But I was able to use most of the older parts without buying new since it was in pretty good shape. I was always careful not to over fire. But there was something that I had to bring to a machine shop to fix, just can't remember what it was.

A complete rebuild?

I believe a few of us has now completely rebuilt our stoves, myself included. If you attempt something and need help just post a pic someone will be able to help.

I also rebuilt my 0028 twice now and i blame myself for running too hot before turning air down. I am now in habit of engaging cat at grill temp of 350- 400 and when cat probe at100 reaches 700 i partially close air. When at100 reaches 1000 i am closing air most way. I just dont get anymore runaway or over fire and liner stays clean

I believe a few of us has now completely rebuilt our stoves, myself included. If you attempt something and need help just post a pic someone will be able to help.

Once burn season is over my hearth and stove are getting some serious attention. Here is my dilemma however. I put my encore under an existing chimney system. The original homeowner had a Martin industries freestanding fireplace....very scary. So the stack is 8" and about three feet short of 16'. I can buy another 3' section of class A and hit the minimum height for the encore or replace the whole thing with an updated 6". This will then give me the ability to slide what ever stove I want under it down the road. I will rebuild the stove in efforts to get some more mileage out of it but will eventually be replacing it with something the wife will feel confident running as well. Any thoughts?

You know the encore could use 6 inch unless burning with doors open. I always think about replacing my 0028 encore but i have limited height for any thing else. My encore fits with 1 1/2 inch to spare but not easy to find another stove that will fit.

Yeah I know I can burn with a six which is nice because most new stoves run a six inch. We do have the fire screen but I believe have only used it once. It just seems like a waste of fuel to burn in fireplace mode.

Yeah I know I can burn with a six which is nice because most new stoves run a six inch. We do have the fire screen but I believe have only used it once. It just seems like a waste of fuel to burn in fireplace mode.

I agree. Never use our screen. I could have just went with a 6 inch liner and might still if I ever replace the encore. The old 0028 is working just fine for last few years so for now will leave it be

I agree. Never use our screen. I could have just went with a 6 inch liner and might still if I ever replace the encore. The old 0028 is working just fine for last few years so for now will leave it be
How hard was it putting the castings back together when you rebuilt your encore?

Worst part is removing old cement and messy installing new cement. Both times I had to replace the upper and lower fire backs and refractory and again I blame myself for over firing too much as the cause

Reactions: Reckless
My hood has a slight warp to it. The lower fire back looks to be straight. The refractory box is showing signs of age. CAT was replaced last year. My stove smokes more than it should for sure so....it's rebuild time. The original owner said he did it two years before I bought it and that was two years ago. I'm a little skeptical on his abilities seeing as how there was no gasket rope on the lower fireback.

My hood has a slight warp to it. The lower fire back looks to be straight. The refractory box is showing signs of age. CAT was replaced last year. My stove smokes more than it should for sure so....it's rebuild time. The original owner said he did it two years before I bought it and that was two years ago. I'm a little skeptical on his abilities seeing as how there was no gasket rope on the lower fireback.
Wow no rope? The upper and lower firebacks can be removed right through the front as well as the refractory box and cat if you are just going do do only those. At least on my 0028

Reactions: Reckless
Wow no rope? The upper and lower firebacks can be removed right through the front as well as the refractory box and cat if you are just going do do only those. At least on my 0028

This is true with the 2500s as well with some shimmy and cursing. I wish they roped the top of the stove instead of cement it would have made these things easier to work on.

well the Top does not HAVE to come off for most part. No movement there and not wearing out..
Some have just added some cement to top with out removing it if you suspect it is sucking air someplace there on top

Also it's hard to reach the 2 bolts in the rear corners once the upper fireback is in place. Note that on the newer Defiants the top IS gasketed, the bolts are easily accessable, and yes it makes life a lot easier.

Also it's hard to reach the 2 bolts in the rear corners once the upper fireback is in place. Note that on the newer Defiants the top IS gasketed, the bolts are easily accessable, and yes it makes life a lot easier.
Good to know

Yeah, the rebuild is not as bad as it will seem at first. I did a partial (everything but the outer shell) - hardest part is getting the upper out from all the creosote and old cement that will be in the way.

Once its apart, a dremel + a drill with wire brush attachments (you could use an angle grinder but be careful!) make quick work of cleaning everything up. Once its all clean and assuming the castings are straight it goes back together fairly easily.

Any thoughts on telescoping double wall pipe?

this may seem like a silly question, but where are the secondary EPA holes?

My cat temp doesn't rise at all unless the bypass is closed, is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.