2016/2017 VC owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I start a fire from cold I will see the cat temps rise from room temp to about 300*. I don't think you will really see anything past 300* because it is usually time to close the damper at this point. On reloads I will actually see the cat cool off more while I'm waiting for the fresh load to char some and establish good flue temps again. What model is your encore. My 2550 has the EPA holes behind the front legs. They deliver air into the ash pan.

i have the 2040 2n1.

this may seem like a silly question, but where are the secondary EPA holes?

My cat temp doesn't rise at all unless the bypass is closed, is this normal?

Yes cat temps dont rise when ligting up stove or cold reload. You will only see cat temps rise after engaged and slow climb at first

Yes cat temps dont rise when lifgting up stove or cold reload. You will only see cat temps rise after engaged and slow climb at first
that's what I thought, but the other day, we had a friend over who was looking at my flow chart and they said they never flipped the bypass because the cat temp never rose.... i had noticed it, and thought that it was normal but needed a sanity check :)

that's what I thought, but the other day, we had a friend over who was looking at my flow chart and they said they never flipped the bypass because the cat temp never rose.... i had noticed it, and thought that it was normal but needed a sanity check :)
I dont even look at my cat temps until I close damper (engage cat) at griddle temp of 350 - 400. Then after few minutes the cat temp will slowly move and I have my AT100 alarm set at 700. When cat hits 700 I partially close air supply down and at 900 - 1000 cat temp I have air 80 % closed

IMG_1598.PNG
Yes cat temps dont rise when ligting up stove or cold reload. You will only see cat temps rise after engaged and slow climb at first

i normally check it out just to see how fast it is rising after a reload. I don't have a digital thermometer, since i have no power source anywhere close the the stove. i keep thinking about adding an outlet, but I'm also pretty sure my wife would not want to have an AT100 on our wall where she can see it. She was telling me the other day that she wanted me to move the flue thermometer to the back or side where she can't see it.

Yes I am old school with my 0028 lol

i normally check it out just to see how fast it is rising after a reload. I don't have a digital thermometer, since i have no power source anywhere close the the stove. i keep thinking about adding an outlet, but I'm also pretty sure my wife would not want to have an AT100 on our wall where she can see it. She was telling me the other day that she wanted me to move the flue thermometer to the back or side where she can't see it.
I can see where your wife is coming from. I wasn't a fan of seeing the At100 at first but I got over it quick. I would rather know what's going on in the cat I guess. You can try and tuck it behind the back legs so it is not so noticeable

Reactions: Reckless
thanks! I don't really think I need to limit the airflow, but I wanted to know what was happening.
No problem. There is a ton of info in past VC threads. It can be rather time consuming reading through all of them though.

I can see where your wife is coming from. I wasn't a fan of seeing the At100 at first but I got over it quick. I would rather know what's going on in the cat I guess. You can try and tuck it behind the back legs so it is not so noticeable

My at100 is my life line as we heat our house with wood 24/7. I cant remember last time i looked at my gas furnace thermostat

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
My at100 is my life line as we heat our house with wood 24/7. I cant remember last time i looked at my gas furnace thermostat

i haven't seen my cat get above 1300 as of yet....

i haven't seen my cat get above 1300 as of yet....

thats a GOOD thing. I had too many run aways up to 1800 cause I was not turning air down soon enough. I was too worried about smoke out chimney. Now I keep it under control

this may seem like a silly question, but where are the secondary EPA holes?

My cat temp doesn't rise at all unless the bypass is closed, is this normal?

EPA holes should be on the bottom front corners of the stove, left and right sides of the ash pan.

Same here if the bypass is open the cat will pretty much stay around 150*

I wish I could heat 24/7 but it's hard in these mild temps. This stove will heat us out of the house if I reload on coals when it's above 30 outside.

I wish I could heat 24/7 but it's hard in these mild temps. This stove will heat us out of the house if I reload on coals when it's above 30 outside.
you should try using sub-par drafts & wood, terrible insulation, awful floor plan layouts and a dog that likes to go in and out 50000 times a day, I have found that is a good way to burn 24/7 and still need to supplement with the furnace first thing in the morning.

you should try using sub-par drafts & wood, terrible insulation, awful floor plan layouts and a dog that likes to go in and out 50000 times a day, I have found that is a good way to burn 24/7 and still need to supplement with the furnace first thing in the morning.
yep 3 dogs here and revolving door with wife home to feed stove and then feed dogs lol

I'm with you on the less than great draft

I have a new cat coming at the end of the month, no charge. I just have to go to my dealer and swap it out when it gets in.

Another question for the masses... do people remove the bottom heat shield? it seems like if i were to remove it, i would be able to heat up the tile underneath a little bit quicker and it would radiate a bit more heat....

I have a new cat coming at the end of the month, no charge. I just have to go to my dealer and swap it out when it gets in.

Another question for the masses... do people remove the bottom heat shield? it seems like if i were to remove it, i would be able to heat up the tile underneath a little bit quicker and it would radiate a bit more heat....

I would not remove it.
Unless you have a basement install with no wood close by.

I would not remove it.
Unless you have a basement install with no wood close by.
it is a basement install, poreclain tile over concrete. nearest wood is on a wall a few feet away.

What's wrong with your current Cat?

it is a basement install, poreclain tile over concrete. nearest wood is on a wall a few feet away.

I don't want to say "you good to go" since I am not a professional. Maybe a new thread in the general forum will provide opinion from experts like webby...etc

Status
Not open for further replies.