2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had some winds this morning but nothing bad, the snow was coming down pretty good but all of a sudden just slowed up .

I can hear ice pellets hitting the windows. Depending which forecast you pick we're getting somewhere between 0 and 11 inches tonight.

Edit: hit post too early

Reactions: thewoodlands
I can hear ice pellets hitting the windows. Depending which forecast you pick we're getting somewhere between 0 and 11 inches tonight.

Edit: hit post too early
We’ve had sleet on and off today. It’s coming down now too.

With how it's howling here, I'm surprised that PSEG Long Island only has 128 outages with 2023 affected customers (was 143/3800 2 hrs ago).
39 F outside. Just nasty.

Sleet only, no snow at 5pm yesterday when this picture was taken (technically it started with rain, but not a whole lot). Should be an adventure for snow clearing with that chit underneath - be a lot of shipping and sliding.

Sleet to start with.jpg

Looks like a couple inches of probably sleet outside. I saw a minivan fly down the road coming from the main road so it probably isn’t too slippery. It’s nice and quiet, just like regular snow though.

We've received maybe two inches of wet heavy snow since late last night but nothing for winds. It's still snowing so we'll see what our total snowfall will be, they're still forecasting just over 6 inches of snow once things are over.

12 inches at my place but the driveway was above freezing so its melting from underneath and compacting. My snowblower got its workout. I will do a another cleanup tomorrow to deal with the additional stuff that will fall overnight.

12" here of heavily compacted sleet/snow/wintry mix/more snow/more sleet etc. Couldn't clear any paths and hired someone to blow out the berm from the road plow (I have hired someone to do that twice in the past two weeks - never hired anyone before in my life). Took 1 hour 45 minutes to snow blow my single-car, short driveway, clear around the mailbox, shovel around fence gates and do the ramp to the shed.

I think this illustrates well how heavy the snow was. It was not only heavy, but so sticky it wouldn't come off even in wind. First picture is from yesterday evening after the shrubs had shed a fair amount of snow. Never had it do this in the 10 years I've been here

20240404_181000.jpg

This is a storm from 2022 from the same vantage point (my living room window)
Rhodie before 8am 12-16-2022.jpg

Its 90% gone already at my house. I never touched a shovel. I did kick it off my front steps so it didn’t freeze though.

Not weather, but ...

I just thought I heard a helicopter coming in; that low whomp sound when they're still far. Then I shook up and down by an inch or so.
Earthquake. Quite stronger than the 2.x ones I felt in TN (there's a zone there West of the Smokies).
Indeed, usgs says a 4.7 shallow (5 km deep) one in NJ.

That was the biggest one I've felt so far.

Not weather, but ...

I just thought I heard a helicopter coming in; that low whomp sound when they're still far. Then I shook up and down by an inch or so.
Earthquake. Quite stronger than the 2.x ones I felt in TN (there's a zone there West of the Smokies).
Indeed, usgs says a 4.7 shallow (5 km deep) one in NJ.

That was the biggest one I've felt so far.
Yeah. I did feel it here in Boston too but I am so far away it was just a very gentle rocking sensation. Thought I was imagining it until one of my co-workers asked if I felt it too.

12" here of heavily compacted sleet/snow/wintry mix/more snow/more sleet etc. Couldn't clear any paths and hired someone to blow out the berm from the road plow (I have hired someone to do that twice in the past two weeks - never hired anyone before in my life). Took 1 hour 45 minutes to snow blow my single-car, short driveway, clear around the mailbox, shovel around fence gates and do the ramp to the shed.

I think this illustrates well how heavy the snow was. It was not only heavy, but so sticky it wouldn't come off even in wind. First picture is from yesterday evening after the shrubs had shed a fair amount of snow. Never had it do this in the 10 years I've been here

View attachment 326450

This is a storm from 2022 from the same vantage point (my living room window)
View attachment 326451
Heavy snows like that are rough on plants. I have lost some due to the weight of the snow and still have some staked up to restore straightness. We have a huge bay tree that had it's limbs so weighted down by one wet snowstorm that the ends touched the ground. It looked like some giant had stepped on it. Fortunately, the limbs are supple and a few days after the snow was gone they returned to their natural height. This reminds me that I need to trim that tree this year.

We ended up getting a total of six plus inches of wet heavy snow. It's still snowing some but that will change over to rain this afternoon.

I did plow two driveways with the UTV, hopefully that is the last of that chit.

It totaled out to 18" in Northern NH. I blew the driveway yesterday with about 12" and it was dense, I had to go slow or it would start plowing. I really appreciate my 13HP track drive Honda with snow like this. It didnt get much use this year until late in the winter. The stuff overnight was better. Its packing down quick. Most of self clearing wood piles with Palruff PVC roofs slid off by themselves.

It looks like we're in the 45 to 50 mph wind gust area starting tonight.

1712873504705.png

WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 2 PM EDT
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Southeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph
expected.

* WHERE...In New York, Eastern Clinton, Southeastern St. Lawrence,
Southern Franklin, and Western Clinton Counties. In Vermont,
Eastern Addison, Eastern Chittenden, Eastern Franklin, Western
Franklin, and Eastern Rutland Counties.

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 2 PM EDT Friday.

* IMPACTS...Gusty winds will blow around unsecured objects. Tree
limbs could be blown down and isolated power outages are possible.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The strongest winds are expected across the
northern slopes of the Adirondacks and western slopes of the Green
Mountains.