1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

3"-5" of snow forecast for Birmingham AL

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jtb51b, Jan 9, 2011.

1. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    Well it looks like we will probably get to see some local snow.. Lots of folks will be without power (including my parents I'm sure) and be struggling to stay warm.. I am very glad I chose to take the hard road in heating my home and now have plenty of good wood and a great stove ready to continue to do the job.. I am also glad I finished up the basement wood furnace in my parents place so they will have no trouble staying warm.. I bet those friends and family who laugh at how I spend my saturdays (cutting, splitting and stacking) won't be laughing anymore.. In fact, I bet they will be here by monday at lunch to prove it!

Jason

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
  3. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    Well, normally I would disagree.. But seeing as they are the best team this year I WILL be pulling for the hometown team.. I don't say this much but WAR EAGLE!!

Jason
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Jason, if you get that much snow you will definitely have more than we do here in central MI. We haven't even had a foot total snow yet this season! There is just a very light covering of snow right now.
  5. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    Its looking pretty certain at this point.. They have now upped it to 4-6" overnight with another 1" today.. This could get interesting, my niece just called looking for a way to heat her all electric home in a rural area.. They will NOT have power throughout this and have no backup plan (only owned the house for about 2 months tho).. I already loaned out 1 genset and sold the backup a while back so she's a bit late..

Jason
  6. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    We got another 5" last night and may get another Noreaster Tuesday night into all day Wednesday ugh! Before you know it you'll be saying eh instead of y'all lol...

Ray
  7. Lanningjw

Lanningjw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth, Minnesota
    Enjoy your snow. I enjoyed the 3 feet that fell last month!
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></table>
  8. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Yikes that sux! Man that snowblower really throws the snow! What are you using for a snowblower?

Ray
  9. SnapCracklePop

SnapCracklePop Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern Penna
    Ah, the memories...

My sister lived in Birmingham, and the family gathered there for Christmas one year. Wouldn't you know, they got snow? The first day, a few big, fluffy flakes fell. Not even enough to whiten the ground. The guy on the radio kept saying, "School is not canceled." I guess folks thought it would be...

Well, a week or so later, it did put down about 6" of something, which turned to slush, and everyone's power went out. I had to get back home to Pennsylvania, and the first couple hundred miles on the interstate were the worst driving I've ever encountered. The slush hadn't been removed -- they didn't have snowplows -- and traffic had formed ruts in the slush. And the slush had frozen solid. Ay ay ay ay ay! I was never so glad to see dry pavement in my life.

That was some trip. It must have been in 1979 or 1980. Anyway, you couldn't buy milk, bread or eggs without reading on the carton/wrapper, "Roll, Tide, Roll!" As I recall, Penn State beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. I don't even like Penn State, but I rooted for them anyway just because.

The high point of the visit, however, was when my Dad almost killed us all. He used the bathroom downstairs near the rec room, and he decided to be helpful and clean the toilet. He mixed a cleaning solution with bleach -- that oughta do it -- and the resulting poisonous gas was awful.

Hey, what the heck?

Roll, Tide, Roll.

Nancy
  10. Lanningjw

Lanningjw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth, Minnesota
    The snow blower is a JD 1130 SE. They make good stuff for moving snow. How about you?
  11. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    still jack for snow in southern NH, maybe got a 1/4 inch of snow from the 2-4" they predicted over the weekend, now the weather r-tards are talking nore-easter again on wednesday. not holding my breath
  12. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    The OP's post reminds of when we lived for a short time in El Paso, Tx. Two inches of snow and the entire city closed down.......

I'm sitting here - stoked - waiting for snow - and nothing much has fallen. I've got a 15 hp riding mower with a 42" blower, a 8 hp walk behind Simplicity and a small 2 cycle single stage Airens. Oh yeah, an electric snow shovel also. A couple of years ago we got dumped with over 110" of snow... that was one of the years I HAD to keep the driveway clear in case I needed to call the EMT's for hubby.
  13. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Barely 10" so far this season here with just an inch on the ground now,compared to the 35" at this time a year ago with almost 20" on the ground then.More on the way after midnight,heavier at AM rush hour through late afternoon.6"-9"expected by late Tuesday with higher local amounts.
  14. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I ain't talkin yet. Back to back three footers here the first week of February last year. I will check back in April.

That storm rolling through the South looks like it is going to be an ice coated nightmare. Ain't seen no ice blowers lately.
  15. krex1010

krex1010 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southeast pa
    Last year at this time I believe we had over 6 feet of snow, this year about a foot. I hope we get dumped on this week and next week and the week after that. Nothng better than sitting by the stove and watching the snow swirl outside the window.
  16. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I have an older Ariens 7524 I picked up on Craigslist for $350.00 a couple yrs. ago... 7.5 HP doesn't throw the heavy wet snow we tend to get around here..

Ray
  17. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Well in WI we usually get dumped on... I have a fleet on duty! A 42 inch single on the tractor and the walkbehind is backup at 38 inchs and 13hp. Snow, I laugh at friggin snow! :lol:

Attached Files:

18. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    I truly hope the forecasters miss this one. Looks like for now, though, we're in the 7-8" range. Getting down the mountain to the Sequatchie Valley for work should be interesting this week. Gave the flue a quick brushing this afternoon. Got groceries, wood, and beer. I suppose that's about all one can do.
  19. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Calling for 3-6 here looks like a big one too.
  20. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    LOL - "fleet" - Yup, that's why I have the machines I have. I use our rider for the driveway & sidewalk but use the Simplicity walk-behind to get out to my wood stacks as I just don't want to get the rider stuck in the yard on the grass. The other machines we just kind of accumulated over the years... I 'think' we have a snow shovel around here somewhere - but not too sure on that. :)
  21. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    I think I'm the only one in the neighborhood thats prepared for something like this. I have wood heat, Honda generator (in good order), a Kubota 4x4 tractor with a loader, and 3 4x4's in the drive (one is a rock crawler with a full exo-cage to boot)... I think we'll be fine, no snow blower here but still I think we'll manage..

Jason
  22. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    I'm very, very low on Tito's Handmade Vodka. Maybe we're not as prepared as I imagined... :lol:
  23. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    Oh, I forgot about that I have half a gallon of Crown, and another nearly half of Gentleman Jack as well.. I think there might be some beer around here somewhere as well.. Oh man, that reminds me I need to add water to the hot tub tonight!

Jason
  24. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Getting to work in the AM will probably be epic fail. And I hate to miss, as I just started this new job 11-15-10. :blank:
  25. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    We're looking at this and it looks like Wed we will be hit with 12+ inches if all goes according to track. I've got a snowmobile sitting on 4" of snow. Not enough to peg the throttle. All i can say is bring it on!