6 Inch Single-wall vent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorooster

Nov 12, 2011
New Mexico
Vent Pipe Question for Mount Vernon:

I'm replacing my wood stove with a Mount Vernon. The wood stove was vented w/ 6" single-walled pipe that takes a 45 degree elbow up into a masonry flue and extends about 2 feet above my chimney. Not sure of the exact length, but it's a standard 8' ceiling w/ a 12/8 roof pitch. It's a 50 yr. old, drafty house, up at 7,200' elevation.

My stove dealer is pushing for me to reline w/ 3" stainless steel ($200.00 minimum lengths).

He told me that the stove and adapters are designed to accept double-walled pipe. He's pretty adamant about needing the 3" SS, saying that I could get air pooling on the way up if it doesn't run the entire length.

I haven't figured the EVL (?) just yet, but the old Vermont Castings stove had a great draw and ran like a champ.

BTW, this is an impressive forum (in the true sense of the word), but it's so big that I've spent a lot of time doing searches for info. I know is already here... any advice is greatly appreciated.

Rooster

I would get a copy of the manual. It should show acceptable venting options.

I replaced a wood stove that had 8" single wall pipe (straight up through the ceiling). That exact installation was shown in my manual.

Most of the pellet vent manufactures that I have looked into, make an adapter for this. Here is the one I used.

It was made to work with double wall stove pipe, but my single wall fit nicely into it. I put two beads of sealant on the stove pipe and secured it with stove pipe screws.

I can't imagine you having any issues if your stove vented well.

Do the EVL calculation and check the altitude chart before doing anything or you'll likely be back here later with burn issues. You really should do a full length run with a proper termination cap.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll go w/ what I've got, keeping a careful eye out for problems and opting for the 3" SS if I see inefficiency. Smokey: I agree w/ the need to run the entire length, but just not sure if 3" pipe is the pipe to run (and I don't think I've ever met a bitter Australian).

gorooster said:
Thanks, guys. I think I'll go w/ what I've got, keeping a careful eye out for problems and opting for the 3" SS if I see inefficiency. Smokey: I agree w/ the need to run the entire length, but just not sure if 3" pipe is the pipe to run (and I don't think I've ever met a bitter Australian).

You need to visit some Australian bars and order their version of an English Bitter. Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

At that elevation it may require a 4" liner.

How far from the pellet stove to the stove pipe, where you want to adapt? May be beneficial to use 4" to there.

The pellet stove would be directly underneath the 6" stove pipe, which goes up 6", horizontal 1', 45 deg. for about 2', then straight up. I was hoping to use existing 6" all the way through the flue and resort to the 3" SS if I had problems (and I could snake that stuff down there with some ease). Would the 4" fair better than the 3"?

The 4 " would give you better draft to the 6". If the 6" goes all the way out the top with a cap, I would run 3 or 4" up to your 6" and call it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.