72 Degrees! It's Freezin' in Here! Crank up that darned Stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianosaur

Nov 25, 2005
New Yawk
When I was growing up in the early 70's the old man used to keep the house at a blistery 65 degrees or so.

During the oil crisis, approching or just walking too near to the thermostat that ran the our fuel oil burning boiler could be a dangerous prospect for us kids.

Any hint of a complaint got you a snapped out "PUT A STINKIN' SWEATER ON!!"

Now, with my wood stove usually running 24/7, the back slider door next to the stove is usually open 80% of the time that my wife and I are home & awake.

This has been a mild winter here in the northeast, so the fire is on again/off again.

*** My point? *** When the stove is off and the temp falls below 74 degrees in the house the whole family is complaining that its cold!

Is anyone else so used to their tropical temperatures generated by their stove that normal human home temperatures seem just way too cold now?? 68 never used to bother me now I'm checking the house temp when its 71-72?

(btw- the old man story got a little embellished upon)

Dylan said:
WADR, you and your wife are a pair of those idiots who are contributing MORE THAN YOUR SHARE to global warming.

Learn to operate your stove properly. Pay attention to the weather forecast(s).

Wow! Did I say something wrong?

How does controlling my stove to 74 have anything to do with the weather forcast, friggin' dumbass? And who said I don't control it?

And I'm not the only one who opens doors or windows https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/5382/

The point of the thread was about what temperature you're used to your house being at. Doos ewe reed 2 gud?

SHEEZE, you post a topic that you think may be humorous for a laugh and you get some retard with 1600 posts flaming you in an instant.

This is a nice 'welcome to the forum' for someone with 10 posts. Thanks a lot. Why bother?

...oh and Dylan, you liberal panzies in CT can k.m.a. about global warming. I'm going out back to shoot up some full aresol cans with my shotgun.

Dylan said:
WADR, you and your wife are a pair of those idiots who are contributing MORE THAN YOUR SHARE to global warming.

:long: WTF !?

65 would be warm in my home growing up. We typically set the stat at 60. I still do that today, I actually grew to enjoy the cold weather and wear sweaters, wool socks, slippers, etc indoors. It's a lot easier and cheaper than cranking up the heat, regardless of your heating source.

Now my brother in NJ, he likes to keep his house at 72-75 all year round, no matter what. Go to visit him in the winter time and he's hanging out in shorts... I just don't get it.

-Kevin

Roospike said:
Dylan said:

That was my reaction as well.

As a relative newbie to this forum, had my initial posts been met with being called an idiot I would have been extremely PO'd. The WADR preface doesn't cut it.

Oh, and my perfect room temperature is 70*, not cooler or warmer. If I have to open the door to keep it in that relative range, so be it.

Brianosaur, welcome to the forums.......I'll have to admit I'm probably contributing to GW myself........I am spoiled to the heat, as my wife is.

We keep it at around 76 inside if we can.

We also have our doors open sometimes, usually when a little smoke gets out or it get up to 80........ %-P

We usually light it at 74........in the house. :)

I have gas too, but it just does not make it as warm at a constant heat
as my wood stove does.

Robbie

I am a bad boy. I thought blaming global warming on all of that heat coming out of the slider was kinda humerous its ownself.

Roospike said:
Dylan said:

im with you roo, what set that off????

Dylan said:
WADR, you and your wife are a pair
of those idiots who are contributing MORE THAN YOUR SHARE to global warming.

Whatever your opinion, I see no need to be
snotty. Probably much of the reason that
many of us don't post a whole lot.

I've seen some of the resident "know it alls"
here make the same statement about cranking
up the stove and opening doors and windows,
and nobody jumps on their ass like this.
Which brings me to the same question as
everyone else: WTF?

Anybody else notice the upturn in bad nastiness around here the last couple days, or is it just me?

I've been lurking on this site for the past month or so, figuring I'd pick up on the culture of the forum along with some knowledge before jumping into active posting. The info I've learned from Elimmeg, BeGreen, BrotherBart, Roospike, and of course fellow Pacific Summit brethren Hogwildz and Willhound - along with many others I'm sure - has been absolutely invaluable. Learning how to pick the right stove and the right dealer for my needs led me to the best and happiestinvestment I've ever made (and I've made some pretty good ones along with my share of dumb ones; don't ever ask me for advice on mutual funds).

And then just when you think you've figured out both the expectations and the personalities of this place, along comes a post like this. Jeez Dylan, how can someone with enough sense of humor to follow up on a post about whorehouse-red stoves by suggesting the addition of leather whips to the accessory list, turn around and jump down a newbie's throat and call him an idiot? The phrase "who cr@pped in YOUR Cheerios this morning?" comes to mind, but I don't want to exchange insult for insult so I won't toss it straight in your face, I'm just saying I was tempted.

I thought the feminist-reactionary-stop-offending-me-with-your-avatar post floating around here was bad, but now this. Hey, I may be new to the club and yeh, this may be my first post but I do know, all things being equal, it's always better to educate than agitate so Dylan, I'm calling you out on calling Brianasaur an idiot. Totally uncalled for. 'Nuff so that I can't blame him for his equally harsh response. I don't mean to sound preachy here and if it sounds like I am then my apologies in advance. But why not be a man about it and take it back. And if that's too much for you, then at least play nice from now on.

End of sermon - back to talking stoves and wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.