A giggle for ya

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laundry Broad

Feb 8, 2008
Philly.
Well, my pop says you'll like this little story. I found an add on Craigslist for free firewood, (it was all rounds and log). I was excited because my parents just got me a 8# maul and so far I haven't had much to hit with it. So I tell my husband about it thinking he'd be excited. We just got done paying $115 for a half cord (and I think they cheated me. I am a girl you know, I couldn't possibly be able to measure!) I always thought Free was way better than paying for it, especially since I'm the one swinging the Maul, not him. (He stays away from my tools. My orders. He's just not a fixer.) He looks at me and actually says

"You just want something to hit with that new axe. We don't even know if we'll be living here next year."

My jaw dropped. While it may be true I do want some rounds to smack IT'S FREE and even if we're not here next year the fireplace will be. I don't think he knows exactly what a half cord is. In his mind it's way more than what I stacked.

He also thinks the wood thats been outback for God knows how long and is started to rot is unburnable. His words "We can't burn that! It's ROTTEN!"

Somedays I just walk away shaking my head.

I burn rotten wood first just to get rid of it. You probably will get lesser heat value from it. Also be careful about bringing in ants, termites etc.
You just got a maul to split wood, so it makes sense to get wood. My wife complained that I had too much wood around the yard so I haven't got much more this winter.

With firewood especially, sometimes free isn't worth it.

Spotted Datter said:
Well, my pop says you'll like this little story. I found an add on Craigslist for free firewood, (it was all rounds and log). I was excited because my parents just got me a 8# maul and so far I haven't had much to hit with it. So I tell my husband about it thinking he'd be excited. We just got done paying $115 for a half cord (and I think they cheated me. I am a girl you know, I couldn't possibly be able to measure!) I always thought Free was way better than paying for it, especially since I'm the one swinging the Maul, not him. (He stays away from my tools. My orders. He's just not a fixer.) He looks at me and actually says

"You just want something to hit with that new axe. We don't even know if we'll be living here next year."

My jaw dropped. While it may be true I do want some rounds to smack IT'S FREE and even if we're not here next year the fireplace will be. I don't think he knows exactly what a half cord is. In his mind it's way more than what I stacked.

He also thinks the wood thats been outback for God knows how long and is started to rot is unburnable. His words "We can't burn that! It's ROTTEN!"

Somedays I just walk away shaking my head.

I'm with you! As long as you're willing and able go ahead and split that wood! Some people are born smart and some have common sense, you have common sense! Common sense gets things done best.. Go relieve your frustration and crack some rounds!

Have Fun,
Ray

As in many cases you have learned the moral of the story is that liberated people, don't ask just do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.