Adding moisture to the air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackhammer

Burning Hunk
Aug 21, 2015
western ma
Does anyone use a cast iron type humidifier on top of their stove? My old Breckwell stove was not hot enough on top, but my Harman does get hot. The air in here is getting dry and I don't like the electric humidifiers.

If you don't have cats who want to jump up at the water like we do then an open pan cast iron or otherwise will help to some limited extent. In our case we have the cats, my wife bought this goofy looking cast iron dragon, the bottom is a pot basically. I fill that every couple of days, so it's putting out maybe a gallon of water over two days. A full open pot will put out maybe twice that if you are lucky. On the other hand we have a cabinet style wick or evaporative humidifier, I fill that twice a day and it holds something on the order of 8-11 gallons of water. Just set the level of humidity you want and turn it on, done deal, the machine reads the returning air humidity automatically and shuts down when satisfied.. But you don't like electric, sorry.

I do not suggest cold mist humidifiers.

If you don't have cats who want to jump up at the water like we do then an open pan cast iron or otherwise will help to some limited extent. In our case we have the cats, my wife bought this goofy looking cast iron dragon, the bottom is a pot basically. I fill that every couple of days, so it's putting out maybe a gallon of water over two days. A full open pot will put out maybe twice that if you are lucky. On the other hand we have a cabinet style wick or evaporative humidifier, I fill that twice a day and it holds something on the order of 8-11 gallons of water. Just set the level of humidity you want and turn it on, done deal, the machine reads the returning air humidity automatically and shuts down when satisfied.. But you don't like electric, sorry.

I do not suggest cold mist humidifiers.
I have had the tank style hunter brand humidifiers, too much to clean etc. I will research the cabinet type, and maybe get a pot for the top of the stove. No cats here! Thanks for your input. BTW, good luck with the impending snow, I'm happy with the 1-3" they are predicting for me!

On top of my P43 - have to fill it about every 1.5 days.

P43%20Hopper%20Extension%20Installed%2011-1-15_zps7ghwvqgh.jpg

That is part of an enamel-covered iron double boiler from an old time canning kit I have. The large surface area really helps with evaporation. The water doesn't boil and rarely bubbles since the stove hasn't had to work hardly at all this season. If I ran this stove in room temp, then I'm sure I would go thru more water, but it is controlled by a thermostat so doesn't run full time.

I also use a hot mist humidifier when it gets super dry in here.

Last prediction on the storm is 6-12", 40 mph sustained wind, gusts to 65mph. Heavy wet snow. I'm getting extra gas for the generator LOL. Heavy wet snow with that kind of wind is a formula for some power line somewhere going down. bad news with my generator is the stove isn't on it. Good new is the boiler is, hot water is, as are all refrigerators and a few lights , a couple of outlets in the house too. Our cook stove and the tenants stove is gas. He gets his fridge working , some lights and one or two outlets as well. So we don't live uncomfortably when we lose power. This gen is capable of about two more circuits, just when I wired it in I could only get a transfer switch for six house circuits. The gen will do eight easy because the heavy loads are already on it and it runs very low output, except on start up of one component or another. Microwaves give it a little shaking down.

I set my humidifier for 40-45%, right now this moment the room air is at 31% in the dining room and I'm sure the living room with the stove in it is lower than that, I need to crank it up on high but I ran out of conditioner so I don't want to go through tons of water till I get some. Meanwhile I put in a few drops of Windex and a shot of dish soup ( Windex for it's touch of ammonia and dish soap for a wetting agent on the filters, just till I get conditioner) . But too I just started up with the humidifier for this season. My indication we need more humidity and it's getting too dry is my legs, well skin in general starts getting itchy, nose runs a bit when I get up in the morning from I assume dry skin, dry air and dry dust in the air.. A few days of humidity will straighten that all out. The nice thing about a tank or cabinet style humidifier with filtering wicks inside is it also purifies the air. Also,more humidity in the house makes it feel warmer, just as more humidity in the summer makes a day feel warmer.

Cold mist humidifiers put water minerals in the air, you can gain a mineral dust in the house that you don't want. Hot mist boils the water on exit, so really it's like steam, the minerals should stay contained in the device . I like the cabinet, evaporative unit we have but it certainly is not the only method. but I like it because it circulates air and purifies air and that is really noticeable in the house. Obviously there comes a point where the filters have to be tossed but that's ok, they did their job.

Reactions: bogieb
Last prediction on the storm is 6-12", 40 mph sustained wind, gusts to 65mph. Heavy wet snow. I'm getting extra gas for the generator LOL. Heavy wet snow with that kind of wind is a formula for some power line somewhere going down. bad news with my generator is the stove isn't on it. Good new is the boiler is, hot water is, as are all refrigerators and a few lights , a couple of outlets in the house too. Our cook stove and the tenants stove is gas. He gets his fridge working , some lights and one or two outlets as well. So we don't live uncomfortably when we lose power. This gen is capable of about two more circuits, just when I wired it in I could only get a transfer switch for six house circuits. The gen will do eight easy because the heavy loads are already on it and it runs very low output, except on start up of one component or another. Microwaves give it a little shaking down.

I set my humidifier for 40-45%, right now this moment the room air is at 31% in the dining room and I'm sure the living room with the stove in it is lower than that, I need to crank it up on high but I ran out of conditioner so I don't want to go through tons of water till I get some. Meanwhile I put in a few drops of Windex and a shot of dish soup ( Windex for it's touch of ammonia and dish soap for a wetting agent on the filters, just till I get conditioner) . But too I just started up with the humidifier for this season. My indication we need more humidity and it's getting too dry is my legs, well skin in general starts getting itchy, nose runs a bit when I get up in the morning from I assume dry skin, dry air and dry dust in the air.. A few days of humidity will straighten that all out. The nice thing about a tank or cabinet style humidifier with filtering wicks inside is it also purifies the air. Also,more humidity in the house makes it feel warmer, just as more humidity in the summer makes a day feel warmer.

Cold mist humidifiers put water minerals in the air, you can gain a mineral dust in the house that you don't want. Hot mist boils the water on exit, so really it's like steam, the minerals should stay contained in the device . I like the cabinet, evaporative unit we have but it certainly is not the only method. but I like it because it circulates air and purifies air and that is really noticeable in the house. Obviously there comes a point where the filters have to be tossed but that's ok, they did their job.
I can't get the wife to OK a generator, we don't lose power often, hard to justify the expense. I'd love to replace my 30 yr old ariens 8 horse snowblower, it doesn't like the heavy, wet snow. But you know "they don't make em' like they used to" rings true for me!
On the humidifier, I'm going to try the simple route like bogieb has to start, I only see one cabinet type on Amazon, and it didn't get very good reviews and is more than I want to spend, though the dry air here is getting bad, same skin, nose issues.

I just started up my hot mist humidifier yesterday. Humidity in room furthest from stove is at 20%. My skin likes drier conditions, so I wait until static starts making an appearance before supplementing the pot on the stove. I'm sure many people would find the dryness of my house uncomfortable, but it is perfect for me. Keep the stove thermostat set at 72 and rarely find that it feels cold (where more humidity would make it feel warmer). I must admit that I do wear a light sweatshirt in the house sometimes - but then again, I'm always barefoot unless getting ready to go out (or doing construction), so there is no consistency in me at all ;em.

Reactions: Orson_Yancey
This is the kind of hot mist humidifier that I use. It is designed for a bedroom, so doesn't put a ton of moisture in the air. One downside to it is it doesn't shut itself off - but I've never had any problems with it even when it runs "dry". No filters and cleaning consists of using vinegar and running water to flush out deposits. Cheap enough you could put one in every room if you wanted to, although I only use one. But, as I said, I like drier conditions anyway.

I use this humidifier and I'm very happy with it:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/AIRCARE-...e-Humidifier-for-2-400-sq-ft-EA1208/205446599

I buy the filters and water treatment from Amazon. I use this for water treatment:
http://www.amazon.com/BestAir-246-C...=8-1&keywords=golden+solution+water+treatment

The whole house is much more comfortable since I set this up last year. We all used to sniffle and cough all winter long. It's amazing what a reasonable amount of humidity in the air can do for your breathing.

Reactions: alternativeheat
On top of my P43 - have to fill it about every 1.5 days.

View attachment 172913

That is part of an enamel-covered iron double boiler from an old time canning kit I have. The large surface area really helps with evaporation. The water doesn't boil and rarely bubbles since the stove hasn't had to work hardly at all this season. If I ran this stove in room temp, then I'm sure I would go thru more water, but it is controlled by a thermostat so doesn't run full time.

I also use a hot mist humidifier when it gets super dry in here.
does that pot leave any permanant white ring on the stove top?

I just went to Amazon,there are several Evap type humidifiers there, some whole house like I have and some lesser as well. I saw some with 4 star ratings. Ours is nothing more than the old Essix but with a Sears name on it, double filters , double tanks. I saw the new 9 gallon Essix at Amazon on Prime,I think it was $108. But there were others there for much less than that, probably not whole house.

HD has them too, Sears Outlet locally here is where we bought ours from.

One thing I like about the new Ariens ( mine is 11 years old 9 hp) snow blowers is they upgraded teh belt system in them, to a double auger belt arrangement. Much better on heavy snow or slush. My 9hp Pro though does fine in heavy wet snow, but not slush. Just got to stay on top of that single auger belt. The main drive belt never wears out, I just replaced the original this year in fact.

Many folks can't justify a generator, we have the apartment and that was originally an in law apartment for my 90 yo father in law. My wife couldn't have him getting cold, so the blessing out of all that was gaining the in to own a generator LOL ! Well that and now it is a rental apartment so part of our retirement income. Double blessings.

Nope. I just make sure the bottom is dry after I fill it. Doesn't leave any kind of mark on the stove. When I take it off to fill it, the only way you can tell it was there is the dust isn't in that spot :)

There is a ring on our P61 from the dragon. One day I will scuff it down and repaint the top but I really don't care, you don't see it with the foolish dragon on there anyway.

I just went to Amazon,there are several Evap type humidifiers there, some whole house like I have and some lesser as well. I saw some with 4 star ratings. Ours is nothing more than the old Essix but with a Sears name on it, double filters , double tanks. I saw the new 9 gallon Essix at Amazon on Prime,I think it was $108. But there were others there for much less than that, probably not whole house.

One thing I like about the new Ariens ( mine is 11 years old 9 hp) snow blowers is they upgraded teh belt system in them, to a double auger belt arrangement. Much better on heavy snow or slush. My 9hp Pro though does fine in heavy wet snow, but not slush. Just got to stay on top of that single auger belt. The main drive belt never wears out, I just replaced the original this year in fact.

Many folks can't justify a generator, we have the apartment and that was originally an in law apartment for my 90 yo father in law. My wife couldn't have him getting cold, so the blessing out of all that was gaining the in to own a generator LOL ! Well that and now it is a rental apartment so part of our retirement income. Double blessings.
bought a Genny couple years ago and it has really come in handy during power outtages..
hooked up a 10 breaker transfer switch into the Main panel so we can run 75% of the house....
due to sensitive electronics board, we run the oil furnace instead of the Harman just in case..
that ugly black chord connect the genny to a 30 amp outlet outside on the porch which leads to the transfer box.

Attachments

• Install.JPG
    Install.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 106
There is a ring on our P61 from the dragon. One day I will scuff it down and repaint the top but I really don't care, you don't see it with the foolish dragon on there anyway.
I had a cast iron dragon (painted black) on the woodstove at my previous abode. It did the same thing as yours. Never bothered me though. I just ran across the pot I use while digging thru cartons of stuff I had brought with me in the move. Never had another use for it and figured it would work so I wouldn't have to buy anything.

Reactions: alternativeheat
bought a Genny couple years ago and it has really come in handy during power outtages..
hooked up a 10 breaker transfer switch into the Main panel so we can run 75% of the house....
due to sensitive electronics board, we run the oil furnace instead of the Harman just in case..
that ugly black chord connect the genny to a 30 amp outlet outside on the porch which energizes the transfer box.
Ya I couldn't locate an 8 or ten breaker panel for decent money or in stock locally and Lowes had the six breaker in stock, so I installed that. It's been quite a few years now, you might think I would have changed that out by now but can't justify the expense, go figure ! Well I say that because the essentials are covered, heat, hot water, cooking, refers, some lights and coffee. An outlet in each bathroom and the downstairs bathroom is lit in a power outage. What more can one need in an emergency ?

Ya I couldn't locate an 8 or ten breaker panel for decent money or in stock locally and Lowes had the six breaker in stock, so I installed that. It's been quite a few years now, you might think I would have changed that out by now but can't justify the expense, go figure ! Well I say that because the essentials are covered, heat, hot water, cooking, refers, some lights and coffee. An outlet in each bathroom and the downstairs bathroom is lit in a power outage. What more can one need in an emergency ?
booght it online from Reliance.. think it was 300.00 or so..

1 thing we didn't hook in was the Electric stove since that would take up the 30amp spot. we use either the outside grill or microwave, or Takeout lol.
my tranfer box is all interchangeable so was able to PULL the 30 amp breaker out and put in 2 -20 ampers in that slot which gave us couple more rooms to energize..

booght it online from Reliance.. think it was 300.00 or so..

1 thing we didn't hook in was the Electric stove since that would take up the 30amp spot. we use either the outside grill or microwave, or Takeout lol.
my tranfer box is all interchangeable so was able to PULL the 30 amp breaker out and put in 2 -20 ampers in that slot which gave us couple more rooms to energize..
Mine is a Reliance Controls as well. this one : http://www.electricgeneratordepot.com/reliance-controls-indoor-transfer-switch-5000w-20216a

Last edited:

it wouldnt be so foolish if you could rig it so that the steam comes out of the dragons nose. while your at it maybe some red led lights for eyes. then it would be awesome!

it wouldnt be so foolish if you could rig it so that the steam comes out of the dragons nose. while your at it maybe some red led lights for eyes. then it would be awesome!
First the water would have to boil. it's designed for a wood or coal stove , I have to cock the top to get the water to evaporate. As I said foolish LOL !

First the water would have to boil. it's designed for a wood or coal stove , I have to cock the top to get the water to evaporate. As I said foolish LOL !
I was assuming you were able to achieve a boil. or at least a simmer should work. Thats a shame. The dragon has potential.

I was assuming you were able to achieve a boil. or at least a simmer should work. Thats a shame. The dragon has potential.
It will simmer in about 0 deg weather with the stove really cranked. That's not this winter. It's the wifes thing, I like the humidifier personally, it gives real results.

Ill

I'll have to do a little more looking, thanks all of you for your replies.

Ill

I'll have to do a little more looking, thanks all of you for your replies.
Hey one plus, maybe the new ones are quieter LOL !

yes. I remember seeing that at HD..Actually, it is a standard item always there at this HD...
I bought my Generac 7500 watt online and remember seeing the Reliance Interchangeable 10 breaker puppy.
only took me close to 6 hrs...!!!.[ Pro Electrician would have done it in couple hrs] to hook everything up including running the 30 amp outlet from the panel thru the basement to back porch. btw:
if your like me when doing anything Electric[unless your a pro] you check, double check, triple check each step before you go forge ahead. and then do another check for good measure..
I'm the same way with plumbing...I work like I have all the time in the world when I do that stuff myself since no one is paying me....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.