1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Alert - Google redirect virus

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by begreen, Dec 3, 2011.

1. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Many hijacks occur when admin credentials are stolen while an admin is logged in.

One thing we do at work and now I do at home is set up non-admin accounts for all users, even myself. "Power User" or "Network User" are good built-in presets for user levels. Admin operations can be handled using Windows' "runas" command without the need to log in and out.

Its a little bit of a hassle but I've been able to keep multiple machines clean this way without having to reformat.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hass

Hass Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alabama, NY
    Same here. The redirect virus is the only one that I've personally encountered and found it to be a PITA. Most variants of it don't send any of your personal information to the owner or cause any actual harm to you... Just incredibly annoying. I bet places like best buy make a killing off of dummies when they bring in a computer infected with it.
  3. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I run Malwarebytes once in a while - is it worth it to upgrade from the free version and buy the 'Realtime Protection Module'? Would that pick something like this up right away before it does damage? Would it slow my computer down a lot while it was doing its thing in the background?
  4. lanternman

lanternman New Member

Loc:
    central michigan
    ill sound stupid for asking but... how do you end up with it and... can it happen to a cell phone that runs a BREW OS also? thats what my phone runs so i was just wondering.