Am I the only one still heating with wood??? -15 C with the wind!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Gday

Strong gail of North West wind today. It's -3 C right now but -15 with the wind. I had a fire going for 6 hrs yesterday and am about to light it up again.

Much warmer weather is on it's way though. Thanks goodness!

Andrew

I'm trying to burn down the oil tank so I can switch to gas this summer... So, I'm not. :lol:

Matt

I definitely have the stove going today and will be for the rest of the week if the weather forecast holds true. 25°F here this morning and barely broke 38° yesterday. Not quite your kind of cold but for around here it's cool for sure.

It is 18 degrees this morning
I usually burn wood till April fools day
This year I promise I will replace my 26 year old Nashua - No problems with it.
Just won't let go of it though- I will find another use for it.

Last 3 nights in a row have been -3 °F , -4 °F , and -1 °F . Stove is running about 650 right now.
So, no, you're not.
I've not been burning too much during the day, with temps in the upper 20's-lower 30's. Still, morning, evening, and overnight fires are needed.
Looks like we're heading into a nice warmup into the 40's and lower 50's in the next couple days. Overall though, March seems to have been colder than I thought it would be.

Stove is rarely cold yet. Lows in the teens and highs in the low 30's. At least two big fires per day - one morning and one night, but normally still three fires. On sunny days, the solar gain is enough to warm the house into the low 70's - that's when two fires might be possible. I don't see an end in sight yet - cold temps prevailing according the extended forecasts. I assume I'll be burning at least one daily fire until late April. Cheers!

No, you're not the only one heating with wood. I've used a woodstove for heat for 40 years. I'm really loving my stove now, as I'm going on day 3 with no power and over 3 feet of snow on the ground. I'm using wood from trees that I cut on my property for fuel and I'll be using wood from trees that went down in snowstorms this Winter to heat with next Winter. How perfect is that?

There has been one overnight here with no fire this year. That still required a small one in the morning to take the chill off.

Im still using both the wood and the pellet stoves. It is still in the low 20s overnight. During the day it goes up to high 30s. Still burning season for me.

Your not alone. -8C (16F), windchill -18C (0F) here this morning, stove cruisin' on low through the evenings and overnight all week. Looks like more of the same for next week. I've had to light the stove as late as May here a time or two over the years.

Here in the tropics as I look out at the snow in the yard the 30 is cruising right along.

Not the bone crunching cold like some places but I don't do cold house.

Fairbanks reporting in. This last week I've had a late-afternoon or evening fire each day that I allow to burn out at bedtime. The Hearthstone's residual heat and the sun-warmed thermal mass have kept the chill off overnight. Beautiful sunny days warm the house, and have inspired me to get out and get some work done:

*My big face-cord racks are off the north porch now, wood in them (hastily stacked there during last November's ice storm) sorted, greener stuff split and tossed into a sunny spot to season, useable-now stuff moved under deck by downstairs entrance, split and stacked.

*A couple of standing dead have been dropped, split, and stacked.

*The area around my chopping block (which had grown pretty sad-sack due to selectively chopping the good wood out of some semi-rotten wood) has been cleaned up.

*Decks swept and smartened up, and I'm starting to plan growing boxes and hanging baskets.

*My emptied wood rack by back door now holds a quarter-cord of ready-to-burn.

Just in time for the snow.

We've got a week, at least of snow and cold coming. I've been feeling that counting-my-stores smugness about the wood at hand, since for the last two or three weeks, I've been picking things over and sorting as I go, day by day--not fun to jam in at the end or beginning of a work day. Finally have wood ready to go, and have been almost disappointed that winter appeared to be over. Now that I have the wood at hand, I say `bring it on'.

15 wind chill this morning, if I do not heat with wood I dont heat.

oldspark said:
15 wind chill this morning, if I do not heat with wood I dont heat.
x2..unless I'm gone away for a few days.

Cold and wet here. The T6 is on cruise control.

A little nippy here on the Chesapeake....which makes it a damp cold. Dusting of snow this am when we woke. Still only 37 degrees....i keep the home fires burning with at least one full load in the am and one in the pm. if it gets a bit warm, i don't feel bad about opening the doors to cool it off a bit as the wood is free or almost free. I expect that soon I'll be letting it go out as we will probably jump right to 80 degree weather. Already had one day there, but will be warm again soon. Nights still hover from high 20's to high 30's and the days 40-60 right now. So, FLAME ON!

cass

What else would I heat with.......

No intention of handing my hard earned money over to a French utillity company........

Wood stove here in action just 4 hours a day now to take the chill off things in the evening!!!!!

Well Andrew, as you can see, you definitely are not alone. PapaDave has been a little colder than us but not by much. We did have 2 days of Spring so far and let the stove cool down a bit but it will be going for some time yet and yes, we will use more wood this year than we have for some time.

Still using the stove here too, and it looks like we will be for at least the next week...if not into mid-April.

Still burning, though moving into shoulder season.

Bill

44 outside with snow on the ground from last night's storm and the inside of the home is cozy 75 with the basement stove at 500. Last fire till tonight . Reminds me I need to haul more wood down to the house.

Still burning rather be doing something else like mowing the grass :zip:

loon said:
haven't shut mine down since september :cheese:

loon

Same here, 24/7 still rollin. @ this rate will be burning til the beginning of May.................-15C this am right now -3 with a strong NW wind

Status
Not open for further replies.