1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another Jotul Oslo vs Castine Post: How to Size the Stove.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lumbering on, Jun 27, 2013.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    It's actually the Order of the Oslo . . . ;) :) . . . and for the record, while there are a lot of great stoves, the Oslo is one fam dastic stove -- I've had zero issues with it since the day I bought it back in 2008 and haven't replaced a single part, gasket or doohickey on it . . . and while my head is occasionally turned by newer, shinier and even prettier stoves I really cannot find much bad to say about the Oslo with the exception of the ash spilling out the front door (most folks tend to use the side door) . . . well that and I wish I had gone with the blue black finish since it's wicked pretty.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    A baby will do fine in a cooler house. My wife (and her sisters) grew up in a house with no central heating. My mom always left the window cracked open in our bedrooms when we were babies.
  3. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    Good to hear you have taken it all in, for some very very knowledgeably people here. They are so willing to help. I continue to learn all the time. Do your homework and you will be fine with any good quality stove. If you happen to go with a Oslo I'm sure you will love it's performance like many of us.
  4. lumbering on

lumbering on Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New York
    I may have to use the front exclusively, as the side of my fireplace will get in the way. How big an annoyance is the whole ash/front door thing?
  5. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That is definitely a common complaint with the Oslo. You might rethink this if side-loading is out. There are several nice ~2 cu ft stoves that are front loading. Take a look at the Hampton H300, Hearthstone Shelburne or Castleton, and Napoleon 1400C.
  6. lumbering on

Loc:
    New York
    The Shelburne is not a bad looking stove.

Why the Castleton and not the Heritage?
    At least from the website pics the Heritage looks like the detail work is a bit more refined style wise, and it's also a bigger stove.

And as much as I want to put function before form this time around in the decision making process, the look of the stove will feature prominently in my wife's decision making.
  7. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    That's real hard to say, just because we rarely open the front door any more. We did in the early years, just for cleaning after a weekend burn. There is 1/4 wide x 1 high x the width of the stove gap between the door glass and the stove floor. It gets filled with ash. I always had the vacuum ready to suck it up before it fell. The frount of the stoves floor angles up 2 " but the ash still gets in there. I had an idea to add a metal strip to close the gap, but never did. I would check that the current stove still has this gap. I think if you were using only the front you could keep the splits further back off the glass. Maybe one of my Oslo brothers has used the front and can give much better advice than I can.
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Heritage might work, but it is more of a side loader. I can't see paying for the option if it is not going to be used. What ever the choice be sure to get a stove that has a blower option if it is set deep in the fireplace and take into account the increased depth of the blower.

What are the dimensions of this fireplace? Can you post some pictures of it and the location?
  9. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    To me, ash falling out wasn't really a big deal. I have had several other stoves that did it just as bad. It definitely wouldn't deter me from joining the "Order of the Oslo"!
    And the Blue/Black was great! It always looks nice and is VERY durable.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine

Honestly I know I would soon get very tired of having to deal with the ash on every reload . . . that said I know some folks have come up with ideas that may help with this issue . . . one person used an oversized gasket and another built something out of angle iron I believe.
  11. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Personally I'd put in a good insert or a stove that is designed to front load.

What are the dimensions of this fireplace? Can you post some pictures of it and the location?
    Michael Golden likes this.
  12. lumbering on

Loc:
    New York
    I'll have to get back to you on the dimensions.
    We definitely want a free standing stove, so no inserts for us.
    Have a question about the "designed to load from the front":
    The castine has no side door, does that mean it handles the ash in the front better?
    Just because the hearthstone heritage has the side door, is it a problematic front loader?
    Is the reason for the price increase over the castleton more than just the side load? Isn't it also bigger, with some nicer detail work on the cast edges?
  13. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Is the need for a front loader caused by the restrictive size of the hearth?

I'd get the Woodstock.

Don't see why you'd have to do all that deconstruction to have an acceptable hearth for the Woodstock. Just frame around the present hearth out to the shape of a Woodstock hearth pad with plywood or whatever is the height of the present bluestone, then put the hearth pad ( a little over 1 inch thick) on top of the framed area and bluestone. Then put a nice sloped wood edge trim from the top of the pad down to the floor level. Then you have the stove you want, instead of doing all kinds of compromising. And, if you get a stove from Woodstock, their bank will finance it and you can pay for it as you go with your oil heating savings. Definitely makes sense to get the stove in for this heating season and start saving on that oil. And get your woodstove tax savings. ALSO, if you get a Keystone and find you want a larger stove (Fireview?) at the end of the heating season you can trade in for the larger stove, with a full refund on the Keystone. This lets you actually find out what works for you. And play around with the moving of air to see how well you can heat the home with the stove. Or, if you don't like the Woodstock for any reason, they'll take it back full refund up to six months, at which point it will have pretty much paid for itself (likely completely paid for itself), and you should KNOW (from your heating experience) what you want instead.

If I were you, I'd put in the pad for the Fireview, if it is somewhat larger than the Keystone pad, because just about any stove will subsequently fit on it, and you will not be restricted to front loader or ember protection only.